Which Wing of the 'Wolfe Tones' do you Support?

Started by Seany, August 06, 2009, 04:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: boojangles on August 07, 2009, 11:34:37 PM
These politically correct journalists and their ilk denounce the very same people whom without they would still be living under British rule.Some times I think O Toole and his like would still like to b under British rule.

Oh make no mistake, a large section of the meeja in Ireland regret independence. There are those (like Kevin Myers) are annoyed about not being part of The Great Crusade Against Fascism In Western Europe (And For Communism In Eastern Europe But We Don't Talk About That). Others (like Fintan) would have liked what they see as the more progressive politics they have in Britain - you know, the one that stood by while Stormont worked its magic. Every country has its self-loathers - if you think Britain is immune, just read The Guardian - but Ireland must be unusual in having so many opinion formers who think self-determination was a bad idea.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: balladmaker on August 08, 2009, 02:18:07 AM
QuoteSo the Tonnes 70/30 split is to ensure the venue doesn't lose out - give me a break

A door split is a door split, no one looses out by the nature of it....a % is a % is a % 

The key to any band having success and ensureing a long term career, is to make sure you have venues to appear in.  Why feck off a venue and not playing there again due to demanding a fee, its in no one's interest.  Just common sense really.

And yes, I'm glad to report that The Wolfe Tones played to an estimated crowd of 18,000 (Gardai Estimate) when they topped the bill at the open air Westport Festival on Thursday night.

Oh I don't doubt it. It always amazes me the amount of plastic paddies that come out of the woodwork when the Tonnes are in town giving it "oh ah up the Ra" etc etc. Then they go home and vote FF or FG ::)

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 08, 2009, 03:03:14 PM
QuoteSo the Tonnes 70/30 split is to ensure the venue doesn't lose out - give me a break

A door split is a door split, no one looses out by the nature of it....a % is a % is a % 

The key to any band having success and ensureing a long term career, is to make sure you have venues to appear in.  Why feck off a venue and not playing there again due to demanding a fee, its in no one's interest.  Just common sense really.

And yes, I'm glad to report that The Wolfe Tones played to an estimated crowd of 18,000 (Gardai Estimate) when they topped the bill at the open air Westport Festival on Thursday night.

Oh I don't doubt it. It always amazes me the amount of plastic paddies that come out of the woodwork when the Tonnes are in town giving it "oh ah up the Ra" etc etc. Then they go home and vote FF or FG ::)

oh so to like a band one has to be affiliated to a particular political party now..... ::)

carribbear

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 07, 2009, 10:36:22 AM
Excellent point, well made.

Thank you sir.

I couldnt think of any known hun Norn Iron musician who might be able to compose such a tune. Is Marti Pellow out of rehab yet? Or maybe the Ulster-Scots folk band, I havent heard a pop hit from them yet.

Maybe they can re-issue and remix the old loyalist song 'Will you stand (in your pyjamas and get a hiding)'

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on August 08, 2009, 03:17:49 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 08, 2009, 03:03:14 PM

oh so to like a band one has to be affiliated to a particular political party now..... ::)

You're missing the point. If you are going around signing about the Ra, Hunger strikers etc and voting FG/FF surely there is an irony in this? Or maybe your a republican by night when full of beer and a Blueshirt by day.

Main Street

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 08, 2009, 01:09:34 PM
Theres a minority in this country who want people to feel ashamed about Irish history.Im not and neither are 95% of Irish people.Ian O Doherty or Fintan O Toole do not speak for me or the majority of people in Ireland.These politically correct journalists and their ilk denounce the very same people whom without they would still be living under British rule.Some times I think O Toole and his like would still like to b under British rule. Ian O Doherty makes a show of himself in that piece.

That's exactly it, did you see the tool speaking from the audience (the first one), "and and...they mention padraig pearce and a manchester martyrs..." as if it was something bad?!  What do these people want us to do? Forget about Irish history, forget about these people, never mention them while enjoying the freedom they fought for? Absolute idiots and hypocrites. 

Being proud of ones country, proud of its culture, history and rebel ballads, still doesn't bring me any closer than a barge pole to the Wolfe Tones.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2009, 04:03:30 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 08, 2009, 01:09:34 PM
Theres a minority in this country who want people to feel ashamed about Irish history.Im not and neither are 95% of Irish people.Ian O Doherty or Fintan O Toole do not speak for me or the majority of people in Ireland.These politically correct journalists and their ilk denounce the very same people whom without they would still be living under British rule.Some times I think O Toole and his like would still like to b under British rule. Ian O Doherty makes a show of himself in that piece.

That's exactly it, did you see the tool speaking from the audience (the first one), "and and...they mention padraig pearce and a manchester martyrs..." as if it was something bad?!  What do these people want us to do? Forget about Irish history, forget about these people, never mention them while enjoying the freedom they fought for? Absolute idiots and hypocrites. 

Being proud of ones country, proud of its culture, history and rebel ballads, still doesn't bring me any closer than a barge pole to the Wolfe Tones.
Well no one is saying you have to like the Wolfe Tones, it's the fact that some people think no one should meantion the likes of padraig pearce's name.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: thejuice on August 07, 2009, 04:11:48 PM
I remember this debate, Ian O'Doherty getting stuck into them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiRvVD4WB8

Seen them live once, not my cup of tea really. As folk/trad music goes though they are fairly poor if you ask me.

I'm not a fan of the Wolfe Tones but anyone that annoys that tube Ian O'Doherty must be doing something right.

Rav67

None of them come across well between that radio interview and the Late Late appearance.

On the Late Late they kept denying they had raised money for Sinn Fein and were saying they weren;t IRA supporters.  Why could not they not just admit both? If they're not Provisional IRA supporters then they're a complete sham.  Their explanation of Celtic Symphony in particular just shows that they either have no backbone and lack the courage to argue for what they believe in, or else they are just money-hungry mercenaries without a republican bone in their body cashing in on the political situation of the time.  Not sure which one is worse.

muppet

Your hypocrisy is staggering and I've had a lot of pints. You criticise O'Doherty & O'Toole (BTW I detest one of them but respect his right to be a twat)  for speaking on our behalves and then claim to speak on behalf (anonymously of course) of 95% of us.

The Wolfe Tones are not my thing but I know lots of Irish abroad or whom they are extremely important. I also know a family member of a band member who is a sound man.

They would do well to keep the dirty laundry indoors.
MWWSI 2017

balladmaker

QuoteTheir explanation of Celtic Symphony in particular just shows that they either have no backbone and lack the courage to argue for what they believe in

...and your ignorance as to the connotations of the song is hard to believe.

The Wolfe Tones performed at Iontas Theatre in Castleblayney on Friday night, to a large audience of young and old.  A 93 year old woman was present and, along with the other audiance members, made a point of thanking the group for the great show afterwards.   I wouldn't consider anyone at the Castleblayney show to be so called 'plastic paddys', they were a very respectable audience who enjoyed a top class show from The Wolfe Tones.

As did the audience in Basel, Switzerland, two weeks ago, when The Wolfe Tones cancelled a show in Ireland to make sure they could attend a benefit concert to raise funds for the Manuela Riedo Foundation (she was the Swiss girl who was brutaly murdered in Galway in 2007).  When other groups such as The Dubliners, High Kings and Finbar Furey pulled out of the event at the last minute (which was well documented in the national press), The Wolfe Tones did not let the charity event down, much to the thanks of Manuela Riedo's parents.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: balladmaker on August 09, 2009, 06:27:41 AM
QuoteTheir explanation of Celtic Symphony in particular just shows that they either have no backbone and lack the courage to argue for what they believe in

The Wolfe Tones performed at Iontas Theatre in Castleblayney on Friday night, to a large audience of young and old.  A 93 year old woman was present and, along with the other audiance members, made a point of thanking the group for the great show afterwards.   I wouldn't consider anyone at the Castleblayney show to be so called 'plastic paddys', they were a very respectable audience who enjoyed a top class show from The Wolfe Tones.

As did the audience in Basel, Switzerland, two weeks ago, when The Wolfe Tones cancelled a show in Ireland to make sure they could attend a benefit concert to raise funds for the Manuela Riedo Foundation (she was the Swiss girl who was brutaly murdered in Galway in 2007).  When other groups such as The Dubliners, High Kings and Finbar Furey pulled out of the event at the last minute (which was well documented in the national press), The Wolfe Tones did not let the charity event down, much to the thanks of Manuela Riedo's parents.

And I would bet my house that half of them were plastic paddys. I've seen the wolfe tonnes probably 5 times in Cavan and Leitrim and it is always the same. Tell me, did you get the flag waving posse from south armagh, down drinking theselves silly, chests out trying to show how they were more 'ra than everyone else?. Don't get me wrong I quite enjoy some of  their songs although I do take exception to stupid lyrics like oh ah up the ra like the IRA were some sort of football team. There are also plenty of other folk/rebel bands around that are just as good as the tonnes, charge a very reasonable fixed rate and don't talk to the audience like they were appearing on Bosco!

Rav67

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 09, 2009, 09:17:19 AM
There are also plenty of other folk/rebel bands around that are just as good as the tonnes, charge a very reasonable fixed rate and don't talk to the audience like they were appearing on Bosco!

Yeah all that 'boyz and girrelz" shite annoys me too, very patronising

gallsman

Ah yes, you've exceeded yourself again balladmaker. Go on, tell us the connotations of the song.

Hang on. Don't. I'll tell you the facts, not connotations.

FACT: The song was written to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of Celtic FC.

FACT: Celtic FC is a Scottish Association Football Club.

FACT: Despite attempts by both the Old Firm to cleanse their respective clubs of links to and associations with paramilitaries in the north, the Wolfe Tones thought it would be great craic to stick in a lyric such as "ooh ah, up the Ra".

FACT: The Wolfe Tones are shite and beloved of ignorant, ill-educated bigots.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: gallsman on August 09, 2009, 07:14:13 PM

Ah yes, you've exceeded yourself again balladmaker. Go on, tell us the connotations of the song.

Hang on. Don't. I'll tell you the facts, not connotations.

FACT: The song was written to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of Celtic FC.

FACT: Celtic FC is a Scottish Association Football Club.

FACT: Despite attempts by both the Old Firm to cleanse their respective clubs of links to and associations with paramilitaries in the north, the Wolfe Tones thought it would be great craic to stick in a lyric such as "ooh ah, up the Ra".

FACT: The Wolfe Tones are shite and beloved of ignorant, ill-educated bigots.

was never a huge fan of them, but some of their songs are quite good (then again I also like a lot of stange 'music' including the tune to 'the sash')
your last piece however I have to mention. I know of plenty of older sdlp more or less anti-republican, def anti-sf and ira despisers who love the wolfe tones. Its the music and the entertainment, the 'good show' they apparantly put on.

Its funny to see the 'mock outrage' from many unionist/loyalists over the 'IRA' lyrics in republican songs - without their ancestors (and they have still as yet to come to the fore themselves to speak of their disgust of the treatment handed out to catholic/Irish/nationalists especiall from the mid 50's to mid 90's !) when these lyrics arise of their own creation due to the apartheid state they created ! (or the wars instigated by the invation/plantation from cromwell thereafter). These songs bear witness to what happened in these retaliation years.

However the 'Celtic song' well you are right that they are a scots soccer club and the ooh ahh ra chant has no link at all.

While some of these songs can be good tunes and historically correct, there is a part of me that dislikes the wolfe tones as being vulturish opportunists.
But if people like and want entertainment and they provide it for them....