Which Wing of the 'Wolfe Tones' do you Support?

Started by Seany, August 06, 2009, 04:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

QuoteThe wolfe tonnes were always fighting amongst themselves. I went to see them years ago in Crosskeys and in the pub before the gig they were in the bar having a pint, one at each corner of the bar and none of them talking to each other. It struck me as bizarre at the time.

So because they are talking to different people in a pub means they are not talking to each other?  There is no fall out between the 3 current members.

QuoteOne thing I will also say is that they were hungry for the cash. We had to beg them to run a raffle for SF at one of their gigs and of course they demanded a % of the gate as opposed to a flat fee (the only rebel band in Ireland to do that in my experience)

Doing a % deal is common place in the music business as it suits everyone i.e. 70/30 or 80/20 splits are pretty common between acts and venues.  So if 100 poeple turn up, or 1000, the venue is never going to loose out.  Seems quite acceptable to me.  What venue would want to be stuck with a fee if the crowd happens to be poor. 

mylestheslasher

Quote from: balladmaker on August 07, 2009, 03:31:56 PM
QuoteThe wolfe tonnes were always fighting amongst themselves. I went to see them years ago in Crosskeys and in the pub before the gig they were in the bar having a pint, one at each corner of the bar and none of them talking to each other. It struck me as bizarre at the time.

So because they are talking to different people in a pub means they are not talking to each other?  There is no fall out between the 3 current members.

QuoteOne thing I will also say is that they were hungry for the cash. We had to beg them to run a raffle for SF at one of their gigs and of course they demanded a % of the gate as opposed to a flat fee (the only rebel band in Ireland to do that in my experience)

Doing a % deal is common place in the music business as it suits everyone i.e. 70/30 or 80/20 splits are pretty common between acts and venues.  So if 100 poeple turn up, or 1000, the venue is never going to loose out.  Seems quite acceptable to me.  What venue would want to be stuck with a fee if the crowd happens to be poor. 

You don't have a vested interest in defending the Tonnes?

So the Tonnes 70/30 split is to ensure the venue doesn't lose out - give me a break ::)

longrunsthefox

8) I heard the Continuity and Real Wolftones at it on the radio yesterday. it was awful listening tio a family row in public and switched it off. Some of their rapport can be nausiating, Heard them at West Belfast Festival a few times... 'Boys and girls, Bobby Sands died on hunger strike and was a very brave man, boys and girls'...patronising sh*te... but some of their ballads were class... the ballod of Joe McDonnell especially...  

thejuice

I remember this debate, Ian O'Doherty getting stuck into them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiRvVD4WB8

Seen them live once, not my cup of tea really. As folk/trad music goes though they are fairly poor if you ask me.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Roger

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 07, 2009, 03:11:31 PM
Quote from: Roger on August 07, 2009, 12:25:09 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 06, 2009, 06:43:27 PM
Fcuk 'Em, I say.
Agree.  Shameful people, disgusting lyrics.

Any song in particular you dislike Roger.
Plenty.
QuoteHave to say I am surprised to hear you once listened to them to be familiar with their lyrics.
Easy access to their republican rubbish on youtube.
QuoteI quite enjoyed the live alive oh album, what did you make of it?
No doubt you did.  Not my sort of thing.

pintsofguinness

I'm away to search you tube for loyalist songs and get offended.  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Roger on August 07, 2009, 05:26:12 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 07, 2009, 03:11:31 PM
Quote from: Roger on August 07, 2009, 12:25:09 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 06, 2009, 06:43:27 PM
Fcuk 'Em, I say.
Agree.  Shameful people, disgusting lyrics.

Any song in particular you dislike Roger.
Plenty.
QuoteHave to say I am surprised to hear you once listened to them to be familiar with their lyrics.
Easy access to their republican rubbish on youtube.
QuoteI quite enjoyed the live alive oh album, what did you make of it?
No doubt you did.  Not my sort of thing.

I asked if there was any song in particular and you reply "plenty". Now what sort of an answer is this. Maybe it would be easier for you to write the ones you do like.

You must be a hardcore folk fan checking out bands on Youtube, I never thought of that.

boojangles

Theres a minority in this country who want people to feel ashamed about Irish history.Im not and neither are 95% of Irish people.Ian O Doherty or Fintan O Toole do not speak for me or the majority of people in Ireland.These politically correct journalists and their ilk denounce the very same people whom without they would still be living under British rule.Some times I think O Toole and his like would still like to b under British rule. Ian O Doherty makes a show of himself in that piece.

gallsman

Quote from: boojangles on August 07, 2009, 11:34:37 PM
Theres a minority in this country who want people to feel ashamed about Irish history.Im not and neither are 95% of Irish people.Ian O Doherty or Fintan O Toole do not speak for me or the majority of people in Ireland.These politically correct journalists and their ilk denounce the very same people whom without they would still be living under British rule.Some times I think O Toole and his like would still like to b under British rule. Ian O Doherty makes a show of himself in that piece.

Doesn't stop the Wolfe Tones from being a crap quasi-folk group who some people think are fantastic 'cos they sing about the Ra. Celtic Symphony- a song written to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of Celtic Football Club and it contains the lyrics "ooh ah, up the Ra". Shower of shite.

theskull1

Quote from: gallsman on August 08, 2009, 12:16:13 AM
Doesn't stop the Wolfe Tones from being a crap quasi-folk group who some people think are fantastic 'cos they sing about the Ra. Celtic Symphony- a song written to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of Celtic Football Club and it contains the lyrics "ooh ah, up the Ra". Shower of shite.

Thought this was part of the strangest place you've.... thread
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

balladmaker

QuoteSo the Tonnes 70/30 split is to ensure the venue doesn't lose out - give me a break

A door split is a door split, no one looses out by the nature of it....a % is a % is a % 

The key to any band having success and ensureing a long term career, is to make sure you have venues to appear in.  Why feck off a venue and not playing there again due to demanding a fee, its in no one's interest.  Just common sense really.

And yes, I'm glad to report that The Wolfe Tones played to an estimated crowd of 18,000 (Gardai Estimate) when they topped the bill at the open air Westport Festival on Thursday night.

gallsman

18,000? One of them was telling Joe there'd be 40,000+ at it. Balladmaker, which one of them are you?

Franko

Silky

As someone once posted on here - they look like the Village People and sing like the Village idiot.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: boojangles on August 07, 2009, 11:34:37 PM

That's exactly it, did you see the tool speaking from the audience (the first one), "and and...they mention padraig pearce and a manchester martyrs..." as if it was something bad?!  What do these people want us to do? Forget about Irish history, forget about these people, never mention them while enjoying the freedom they fought for? Absolute idiots and hypocrites. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?