Which Wing of the 'Wolfe Tones' do you Support?

Started by Seany, August 06, 2009, 04:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 06, 2009, 06:43:27 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 06, 2009, 06:35:26 PM
What four musicians ever done to you I dont know, but anyway...
"Four musicians" like, say, The Beatles?

Nothing.

"Four musicians" like, say, the Wolfe Tones who eg glorify vicious murderers?

Fcuk 'Em, I say.

I give you "Yellow Submarine" EG with an honourable mention for "Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da"
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Evil Genius

Quote from: carribbear on August 07, 2009, 01:54:00 AM
"Four musicians" like, say, The Beatles?
Nothing.
"Four musicians" like, say, the Wolfe Tones who eg glorify vicious murderers?
Fcuk 'Em, I say.

How about asking van morrison to write a wee ballad to celebrate the beating up of a 9 year old?
Excellent point, well made.

(Except for:
1. Van Morrison has never (to my knowledge, at any rate) expressed a political thought in his life;
2. No-one (including Morrison and myself) has ever defended the beating up of 9 year olds;
3. This thread is about the Wolfe Tones)

P.S. Don't you mean "Whatabout asking...", rather than "How..."?  ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Joxer

Only one with any sort of talent is Tommy Byrne.  Fine ballad singer.  Other two are brutal beyond belief.

Like it or lump it they went downhill badly when Derek left.

RogerMilla

seen them loads of times and always found them to be very money-hungry pushing all the merchandise at every opportunity , came as no surprise when they did fall out to be honest, it had to be over cash , artistic differences me hole,

johnneycool

Quote from: illdecide on August 06, 2009, 05:17:40 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 06, 2009, 04:44:37 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 06, 2009, 04:39:39 PM
Neither, because they started putting out endless amounts of crap log before they split up.

Yes balladmaker, if you're still around, I said it. The Wolfe Tones are shit.

Is Balladmaker from lurgan by any chance?

why do you ask that?

I know a lad from Lurgan who's big into the tones and i think he frequents this place but it might be some other lurganite.

Illdecide, does your ip address start with a 47.x.x.x?

Shamrock Shore

God forgive me but I remember listening to the W**** T**** in the bog in 1984. Great turf footing music.

However I moved on........

Roger

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Doogie Browser

theskull1

Seriously lads. Is the wolfe tones not something you grow out of?  Maybe they were just of their time...I don't know but I couldn't listen to them now.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on August 07, 2009, 01:13:05 PM
Seriously lads. Is the wolfe tones not something you grow out of?  Maybe they were just of their time...I don't know but I couldn't listen to them now.

Not even the Dunloy version of the merry ploughman?

norabeag

Interesting that it was on the Radio yesterday as I also heard another musical dispute on RTE at lunctime. This seemed to be a very bitter row over the break up and reformation of De Dannan.
Some very hot stuff was aired during the show regarding the rights to the name etc.
Tones have had their day. Give me the singing Priests now as I reach for the slippers and cocoa !!

Main Street

Never liked them - both wings
I like my ballads but, with my nose up in the air, wouldn't even be caught dead at a Wolfe Tone gig.

Good name though.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: theskull1 on August 07, 2009, 01:13:05 PM
yeah, I think so.  I do like their type of music, but there's better bands out there for that imo and they are genuine and not just cashing in on a political situation. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Roger on August 07, 2009, 12:25:09 PM
Fcuk 'Em, I say.
Agree.  Shameful people, disgusting lyrics.

Any song in particular you dislike Roger. Have to say I am surprised to hear you once listened to them to be familiar with their lyrics. I quite enjoyed the live alive oh album, what did you make of it?