Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2009, 03:45:10 PM
That game was more of a statement on the poor overall standard of Connacht football at the minute I'd say, and Galway's eclipse to Donegal gave some indication of that, in retrospect.

does meath making the semis make leinster look good? Ulster have one side in the semis- does that mean munster football is better? Impossible to say really.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: rocco on August 09, 2009, 03:49:22 PM
2 terrible calls by an umpire & a linesman,not good enough at this level.... are they blind ?

That's true, they were very poor calls that led to Mayo being down two goals effectively. Nonetheless, winning teams will weather such calls, and win despite them, not succumb because of them.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: INDIANA on August 09, 2009, 03:51:40 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2009, 03:45:10 PM
That game was more of a statement on the poor overall standard of Connacht football at the minute I'd say, and Galway's eclipse to Donegal gave some indication of that, in retrospect.

does meath making the semis make leinster look good? Ulster have one side in the semis- does that mean munster football is better? Impossible to say really.

Yeah, I think bar ourselves (and we'll find out just how good we are in two weeks) Ulster is in a fairly poor state overall too. Time will tell.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zulu

First off congratulations to Meath who were very deserving winners, they were much better today than previous weeks but I'm afraid it may only have been two middle of the road teams going at it. I would be fearful for Meath against Kerry but for Meath fans that's another day, however Mayo football, like Dublin, needs to get radical and I don't mean at the top but from the ground up. Mayo are a fanatical football county with a big playing population but they are fooling themselves entirely and are producing only decent footballers rather than real quality ones. A root and branch review is needed because even on their underage teams I've seen very few lads who I thought would make really good seniors.

mannix

lots of questions for jom to answer, i think he will leave as the mental weakness is there as much as ever in his players, sad after all the work he and the lads put in and end their year on such a low note. Also to say the truth is that MAYO are simply not able to deal with the hits and seemed amateur as opposed to the meath lads when they got going.

orangeman

Serious shock. Too much talk of meeting Kerry for the Mayo lads in the run up. Eye off the ball.

From the Bunker

First of all well done Meath and best of luck in the semi v Kerry!

Talking points

Meath Goalkeepers error, should a goal have been awarded?

Injury to Kilcoyne early in the second half wasted the substutition of bringing in Conor Mortimer for Hanley.

Injury to O'Shea left Mayo without a focus in the forward line.

Penalty was a bit soft but thats the way it goes......Excellent conversion of it. (line ball that it came from is immaterial).

Mayo Full Back line were all over the place, if Mayo had squeezed through they would have been cleaned v Kerry (again)!

Meath had a very slow start and will not be treated as soft v routhless Kerry.

Fight and Pride is back in Meath, so if they can keep with Kerry, they could be in with a chance.

The extra back door games plus the familarity of Croker has helped Meath.

Is O'Mahoney on borrowed time? Can't think of a team he has beaten outside of Connacht with Galway or Mayo since 2001.

For Meath time to be weary, two years ago they beat (a weakened) Tyrone and got a hyding from Cork, so it's keep feet on the ground time!

IolarCoisCuain

Well done Meath, clearly the better team. Joe Sheridan outstanding. This will stand to them against Kerry, and the best of luck to them. As for Mayo, the Connacht title about as much as we're worth. All the cracks that had been papered over split open today. Ah well. Maybe next year.

Frank Casey

Are Mayo another Dublin - bunny rabbits in the headlights of the All Ireland series. I'm not trying to kick a team when they're down but it seems to me?
KERRY 3:7

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 09, 2009, 05:57:20 PM
Are Mayo another Dublin - bunny rabbits in the headlights of the All Ireland series. I'm not trying to kick a team when they're down but it seems to me?

I dunno. I was certain that they were going to win today by a few scores even though I didn't think they were good enough to win the All-Ireland overall. Started off like they were going to blow Meath off the field but the first Meath goal seemed to settle them when they were wobbling badly. Mayo then got in a winning position mid way though the 2nd half but the collapse in the final 10 or so minutes was startling. A sore one to take for our neighbours and a pretty poor year for Connacht football.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 09, 2009, 05:57:20 PM

Dublin-Mayo comparisons are mischievous Frank. Mayo have won four semi-finals since Dublin won their last. You fellas only talk Dublin up because you enjoy hammering them so. Naughty-naughty!

joemamas

Quote from: shakermaker on August 09, 2009, 03:46:47 PM
we were poor in midfield.  Harte and McGarrity looked like passengers today.  

Our slow build up play allows the opposition to get back in position and as a result we resort to kicking from distance or playing too many hand passes and end up spilling it.  The injuries didn't help but Mayo were not good enough today.  Meath will give Kerry a game and good luck to them.

McGarrity tried his arse off, left it all on the field. Higgins had an unbelievable game, as did Andy Moran.  Dillon, Trev Mort and Connor aside from goal miss was ok.

Harte had a disastrous game, as did Heaney, does not say a lot for JOM that he did not learn anything from connaught final, when Heaney died in the last twenty mins. Why JOM kept Parsons out of midfield until three mins to go is mindboggling, especially as Harte and Heaney were poor for most of the game not just the second half. McGarrity played without any support.

I have always been mesmerised by people on this board talking up Howley, after getting cleaned today on a forward who has zero speed, he was not within twenty yards of Sheridan for the first goal,  (eerily similar to when p Joyce got away from him a few times in connaught final)Sheridan was their man of match. don't think he is county standard.

Our Goalie was also so so . He dived out of the way for the first goal and then that cocked up effort at fisting the ball when the game was level, the point that resulted put Meath ahead for good.

Overall we came on a bit this year, but we have a long way to go. some hope for future.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: joemamas on August 09, 2009, 06:44:12 PM
Quote from: shakermaker on August 09, 2009, 03:46:47 PM
we were poor in midfield.  Harte and McGarrity looked like passengers today.  

Our slow build up play allows the opposition to get back in position and as a result we resort to kicking from distance or playing too many hand passes and end up spilling it.  The injuries didn't help but Mayo were not good enough today.  Meath will give Kerry a game and good luck to them.

Higgins had an unbelievable game

Did his man not score 1-2? Can't remember. He was excellent going forward but seemed to get caught out more than once defensively. Was probably the best of the Mayo full-back line alright.

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2009, 03:52:05 PM
Quote from: rocco on August 09, 2009, 03:49:22 PM
2 terrible calls by an umpire & a linesman,not good enough at this level.... are they blind ?

That's true, they were very poor calls that led to Mayo being down two goals effectively. Nonetheless, winning teams will weather such calls, and win despite them, not succumb because of them.
I think the linesman got that one spot on, ball came off the Mayo legs.
Linesman was looking straight at it.
Strangely enough,  the tv camera angle from the behind the Mayo goals shows it the best.

Good impressive win for Meath. First time I have ever admired (even warming to) the way they went about their game.

I'm a bit surprised by a few Mayo fans saying that it's better to get beat now than trashed later.
That's a losers psychology, through and through.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Main Street on August 09, 2009, 07:09:15 PM
I'm a bit surprised by a few Mayo fans saying that it's better to get beat now than trashed later.
That's a losers psychology, through and through.

Didn't see anyone saying that Main Street, but if they are, you're right. You're guaranteed to lose doing that.