Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navanman

Great to re-read this thread as a Meathman. Poor Mayo, lads ye're as bad as the Dubs. Ye should adopt 'don't believe the hype' as your county song.

Anyways no gloating from this side (Despite the killing on Paddy Power). The difference was scoring chance conversion. If Meath had the amount of ball in the first half that Mayo got into their forwards we would have been out of sight. Midfield was huge for us and we won that battle overall. Was scared before the match of Moyles being exposed at full back (he has no pace lads), but the Mayo tactics played into his hands. Thought he had a huge game, so despite the by-now traditional Meath cough-up of 2-3 unnecessary points from misplaced passes from the backs, and another soft goalie-fault goal we made it through.
:)

Frank Casey

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 09, 2009, 06:27:30 PM
Quote from: Frank Casey on August 09, 2009, 05:57:20 PM
Are Mayo another Dublin - bunny rabbits in the headlights of the All Ireland series. I'm not trying to kick a team when they're down but it seems to me?

Dublin-Mayo comparisons are mischievous Frank. Mayo have won four semi-finals since Dublin won their last. You fellas only talk Dublin up because you enjoy hammering them so. Naughty-naughty!

Shag it - I'm rumbled but what about the meedja and their talking up?
KERRY 3:7

Barney

Once that final whistle blew I had to run out of that god forsaken place, and hey presto home and going to hit the sack and try and forget that nightmare.

Could not have gone any worse - I thought we had made progress, and felt we were good enough to win today but as well as a bad performance all round we were luckless. To think that our entire starting full forward line from the Connacht Final were unavailable by the end was a bit of a disaster. Kilcoyne and O'Shea were going well too. But then Meath were without their best player and picked up the pieces. They had a cause.

Congrats to Meath - a carefully thought out game plan put us away. Ye were far the better team and have the necessary guts to put it up to Kerry. Our controlled game plan of the first two days of the Summer went out the window. Barry Moran was a big loss, but the inability to vary the game plan to any degree was fatal. So too was the middle third of the pitch. Sheridan's height advantage over Howley was very telling but he was more skillful and controlled all round. Gardiner had another Croke Park shocker. Pat Harte was way below par also. There were warning signs from the Galway game that this area would be a problem and we did not have the men to address it. When you lose in this area, once swamped, there is little hope for a full back line when the passes in are good.

Was the pitch like an ice rink or did the lads pick the wrong studs? It certainly seemed to improve in the second half but the slipping and sliding made life easier for the Meath forwards. Mind you both teams fell victim to this problem.

The other alarming thing is how we died in the last 20 minutes like we did in the Connacht Final. Jim Kielty was advertising himself during the week and how this was the fittest team he was ever seen but it is concerning that two days in a row we didn't have the les late on.

The ref did influence things but the scoreline did justice to the Meath performance. What I would say about the contentious sideline was that even if it was wrong we should not have been so yellow as to let a quick ball be taken. How many times has this cost us in the past? I thought the choice of novice linesmen at this stage in the championship was bizarre though. McQuillan consistently gets calls wrong - one of them won us an under 21 All Ireland. Today we were on the other side of it. But look Meath had two perfect goals disallowed against Dublin two years ago dusted themselves down and made the semi final.

We may not be as far along as we though. But we have only lost one match. We do not get a chance at redemption and must wait until next year but everything that was positive before today is not all of a sudden doom and gloom despite how we may feel.

We need the manager to stay on and continue the work and we will all dust down the flag come January and start again like we always do with hope in our hearts. 

agorm

Great performance by the Meath team. Whatever else happens this year this and the Limerick games shows that this Meath team are very worthy representatives of what is best about meath football. Considering that there are no big "stars" on the team this is a great achievement.

I wasnt at the game as we are down in Clare on hols but it was no less sweet all the same. From my viewpoint the team have gradually improved over the qualifiers and the qualifiers have proven to be a godsend. It has allowed Crawford and Meade to develop a partnership at midfield and Eamonn O'Brien to finally determine his best team. Also Joe Sheridan has come on a tonne, still slow but once he gets the ball who cares. To be honest I thought for much of the game that Mayo would do it and I thought it was over when the goal went in. We were fortunate enough to get the penalty considering the line ball and that foul isnt always given but, we'll take it.

Regarding Mayo, it is very hard to know where they go from here. I dont think JOM would have been complacent - they were beaten by the better team on the day - the team that seemed to want it more. I said last week that I hoped that the Meath players would step it up for Stephen Bray. Perhaps that was the difference as I think the teams are very close.

Regarding the Kerry game, I see the tongue in cheek stuff is starting for the kerry boys on the other thread. Not sure if we will win but I am pretty certain it wont be the hammering that Kerry gave Dublin or Meath received against cork.

Jinxy

Everyone seems to be assuming it was a Mayo line ball and the Meath goalie brought the ball over the line.
The Sunday game should hopefully clear this up.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Jinxy on August 09, 2009, 08:49:55 PM
Everyone seems to be assuming it was a Mayo line ball and the Meath goalie brought the ball over the line.
The Sunday game should hopefully clear this up.

I have to say that I thought the side line call was correct and looking at the replays I still think it was. I think that O Rourke did bring the ball over the line too.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Barney on August 09, 2009, 08:10:21 PM

everything that was positive before today is not all of a sudden doom and gloom despite how we may feel.

We need the manager to stay on and continue the work and we will all dust down the flag come January and start again like we always do with hope in our hearts. 

I'm struggling for hope in my heart right now Barney. Do you think you list everything that was positive before today that is not now doom and gloom? Aiden O'Shea is all I can come up with.

I see you think that Mayo need the manager to stay on. How do you think Johnno ran the line today?

joemamas

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 09, 2009, 09:11:40 PM
Quote from: Barney on August 09, 2009, 08:10:21 PM

everything that was positive before today is not all of a sudden doom and gloom despite how we may feel.

I'm struggling for hope in my heart right now Barney. Do you think you list everything that was positive before today that is not now doom and gloom? Aiden O'Shea is all I can come up with.

I see you think that Mayo need the manager to stay on. How do you think Johnno ran the line today?

Thought he did a poor job on line today, did not learn from connaught final. How Harte and to a greater extent Heaney lasted as long as they did was puzzling to say the least. Parsons surely has a little more to offer in the middle third of the field. Gardiner also very poor today.

AbbeySider

Im actually relieved and delighted we are not meeting Kerry this year.

Its an awful thing to say but I couldnt take another drumming from them in two weeks time.

Its the same old story with Mayo. Nice footballers but no killer instinct.
That might sound harsh but we should have put Meath away early in the first half when we had the chance.
Instead we played exhibition pedestrian shite and we paid the price because we took Meath for granted.
If we had Kerrys mindset the game would have been out the gate at half time.

I predicted Meath winning and people thought I was mad.

I knew we were too c**k-the-walk heading into this one. The under dog tag suited Meath down to the ground.
We were expected to show up and win easy. There was more talk this week about a Mayo-Kerry semi final than the match against Meath.
I knew in my heart we were in for a big surprise.

Fair play to Meath, the smelt blood and went for it. They played with fine confidence in the end and deserved their victory.

There was a few killer blows for Mayo.

Barry Moran was a Loss
Kilcoyne was a big loss
Aidan O Shea was a huge f**king loss
The Penalty was the final nail in the coffin as the heads went down
Wet conditions seemed to suit Meath

The whole full forward line that started against Galway didnt finish against Meath.
We had no attacking ideas when we lost the focal points of our attack as it was left to Billy Joe, Conor and Ronaldson all of whom were bad.

Donal Vaughan and Liam O Malley are not up to it.
I said on here about Vaughan struggling against Roscommon, very bad on the back foot, not a corner back and doesnt have the pace for it. Looks terribly awkward. One of these players that are great athletes but may not have the talent.
Liam O Malley simply cannot defend properly. He was the wrong side of his man countless times, over committed in the tackle and made bad decisions on the ball as well as getting dispossessed.
I would move Ger Caff to the corner as he is not commanding enough in his square but at least is a good pacey defender.
There are better corner backs in the county and hopefully they will get a shot.

It wasnt just their fault as Keith Higgins was bed today too. He had good spells in the second half but he was miles away for the goal and was turned too easily.

Peader played Ok, hot and cold although he did pickup the odd break.
Andy Moran stood out again, I thought he was one of our best players. He is making a fine wing back.
Killcoyne was very good and always looked dangerous. I would have him way ahead of Conor any day.
Trovor Howley played only Ok as he had his hands full with Sheridan who scored a lot from play.

We were beaten at midfield. Mostly the ball was broken and our half forwards and half backs are guilty of not driving in on the breaks. Meath were hungrier. Heaney dissappered in the last few minutes before he was taken off but I guess his legs were gone.

Harte was disappointing. Dillion was ok but gave away two balls towards the end so things didnt end well for him.
Trevor was dropping the ball when there was nobody near him, up to the same old tricks. He worked hard and turned over possession a good bit, as well as getting two points but he dissappeared for large spells.

Parsons was terrible and looked like a fish out of water. He has lost all his athleticism. I dont know what the story is but he is dragging his heels and doenst look fit or comfortable.  
Aidan O Shea looked dangerous and took on responsibility. I dont know why more ball wasnt pumped in on top of him.
Killcoyne also looked very dangerous before he was taken off injured. He was a big blow, as was O Shea

All in all, we need to take an honest look at ourselves.
Having injurys on the day really showed us up for what we.

If O Shea and Killer waited on the pitch, we may have won but it would only have masked our weaknesses.

We are way off making a serious challenge in years to come. Winning Connacht anymore doesnt make you a good team.

Serious questions have to be asked of the players.

If we cant look to Austy, Seamus O'Shea, Conroy, Barett, etc in Senior championship then they shouldnt be there.

A big clean out is required.

AbbeySider

Possible Candidates to get cut:

[Players you wont see in championship so whats the point?]
Austy,
Seamus O'Shea,
Conroy,
Barett,
Barry Kelly,
Sweeney,
Cuinniffe,

[Players that are probably at the end of their career]
Nallen,
Heaney,

[Players not good enough, technically, skill wise and talent]
Vaughan
L O Malley
Cuinneffe

Zulu

QuoteBarry Moran was a big loss

Don't want to kick a man when he is down but you are kidding yourself if you believe that. Moran isn't now nor ever will be a top class IC footballer and that is what Mayo need to start producing. Ye have enough average/decent IC footballers as it is but the worrying thing from a Mayo point of view is ye don't have any forwards of the necessary quality coming through either.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Zulu on August 09, 2009, 09:27:28 PM
QuoteBarry Moran was a big loss

Don't want to kick a man when he is down but you are kidding yourself if you believe that. Moran isn't now nor ever will be a top class IC footballer and that is what Mayo need to start producing. Ye have enough average/decent IC footballers as it is but the worrying thing from a Mayo point of view is ye don't have any forwards of the necessary quality coming through either.

Zulu, I respect your opinion but regardless of what you say;
having two big target men is better than one.

Mayo dont need to send in as good a ball to big men inside than they do to the likes of Conor Mort who needs it on a platter.
Bombarding a full back line with high balls to men 6ft 4" and 6ft 5" is next to impossible to defend against.

Thats how we were winning, scoring goals and causing defences havoc.

Then changing the dimension and bringing on a small forward like Mort as a impact sub changes things on defenders who may be getting used to the high ball.
Then then have to switch it and think about a small knackey forward. Thats a hard thing to do for a defender.

joemamas

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 09, 2009, 09:25:56 PM
Possible Candidates to get cut:

[Players you wont see in championship so whats the point?]
Austy,
Seamus O'Shea,
Conroy,
Barett,
Barry Kelly,
Sweeney,
Cuinniffe,

[Players that are probably at the end of their career]
Nallen,
Heaney,

[Players not good enough, technically, skill wise and talent]
Vaughan
L O Malley
Cuinneffe

Add Howley to the last group, very lucky not to have let p joyce cause some major damage v Galway, not so  lucky today.
Pat Harte slows up play too much could also be added, has rarely had back to back good games for Mayo, I cringed today when he got the ball as I always felt he would turn it over.

Zulu

AB I know you and all Mayo folk must be hurting tonight but if Barry Moran, whom I know and like, is on your starting 15 then you will not win an AI, he just doesn't have it. I've said it before and I'm saying it now, until Mayo produce a SON or Gooch ye are at nothing. In every single line of the Mayo team you have decent IC players rather than exceptional ones. Compare that to the top 3 - FB line Marc o'Se, Anthony Lynch, Conor Gormley, HB line T. O'Se, Canty, Jordan, midfield Dara, both Cork and Tyrone fall down here but McGinely is very good and Cavanagh can come out here, HF line, Declan O'Sullivan. Pearce O'Neill, J. McMahon, FF line, Gooch, T. Walsh, Donaghy, SON, Cavanagh, Goulding, O'Neill. If I was to go through Mayo only McGarrity, at a stretch, and Dillon would even be considered. The problem isn't the manager, hoodoo's, psychological or anything else it is a lack of quality and the Mayo CB need to get radical in addressing this.

Gaaman

Whats that smell????????? Its Mayo sh*ting themselves.........again!! Ha Ha