Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Re Peter Makem article: firstly well written and enjoyable read, secondly, he would appear to make a lot of sense. I'm no expert on the history of Armagh football, but he certainly appears to be and if what he is saying is true, then his points are worth considering.

Orior

Hindsight is great, innit.

What does he mean about a team of Spartans and Red Branch Knights?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Dinny Breen

http://breakingnews.ie/sport/mcgeeney-not-interested-in-armagh-job-419885.html

24/07/2009 - 09:01:03
Kildare football manager Kieran McGeeney has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Armagh job.

The Northerners are looking for a new boss after Peter McDonnell's resignation earlier this week.

However, speaking after training with Kildare last night, McGeeney said he was not looking to fill the position.

Former manager Joe Kernan has also dismissed an immediate return to the helm of the Orchard County due to existing work commitments.

#newbridgeornowhere

mackers

Quote from: Orior on July 23, 2009, 10:09:35 PM
Mackers, I'm excluding frees
Fair enough Orior don't think the previous poster was but. In fairness Aaron was also one of the few players that scored from play against Monaghan and it was from outside the 21, shooting isn't one of Aaron's weaknesses.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

BerfArmagh

can someone psot the irish news article

Orior

Ah Dinny, maybe you should have held your until Monday.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mackers

Quote from: The GAA on July 23, 2009, 10:04:24 PM

Was he asked to jump mackers? did he not jump himself? does the county board statement of regret in accepting his resignation and the fact that they asked him to think on it for a week not indicate that they were for the status quo?
Version I heard was that he was told to jump before he was pushed.

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2009, 11:18:12 AM
http://breakingnews.ie/sport/mcgeeney-not-interested-in-armagh-job-419885.html

24/07/2009 - 09:01:03
Kildare football manager Kieran McGeeney has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Armagh job.

The Northerners are looking for a new boss after Peter McDonnell's resignation earlier this week.

However, speaking after training with Kildare last night, McGeeney said he was not looking to fill the position.

Former manager Joe Kernan has also dismissed an immediate return to the helm of the Orchard County due to existing work commitments.

If I were a Kildare man I would have no fears of McGeeney in particular jumping ship and Paul Grimley would be highly unlikely to go either. Both of them have a fairly good thing going there and would be loyal to the group of players they are working with. I've no doubt that both men want to take Armagh but not now.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Donagh

The only thing that will get McGeeney in Armagh next year is Kildare winning the AI this year.

naka

if grimley was offered the armagh job i would fancy him to take it

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Orior on July 24, 2009, 10:34:38 AM
Hindsight is great, innit.

What does he mean about a team of Spartans and Red Branch Knights?

As far as Makem is concerned, I don't think it's a case of hindsight; as far as I can recall he was heavily involved in the planning post 1995 that he refers to.
"Stercus accidit"

armaghniac

QuoteKildare football manager Kieran McGeeney has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Armagh job

Dinny, Shouldn't you be concerning yourself with nuptial matters rather than the Armagh management!

QuoteHindsight is great, innit.

Well you have to learn from hindsight. The point about the Armagh AI winning formula now being irrelevant an a new one being needed is valid enough. Half the battle is knowing that continuing on with the present formula will not work.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Diet Coke

Quote from: corn02 on July 23, 2009, 09:12:00 PM
Quote from: Diet Coke on July 23, 2009, 08:06:45 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 23, 2009, 11:37:48 AM
Quote from: Orior on July 23, 2009, 11:32:02 AM
Quote from: Diet Coke on July 23, 2009, 11:21:56 AM
Face facts.......Armagh do not have the quality footballers............how many of the current squad/team would make it onto the Tyrone panel?

Brendan Donaghy
Andy Mallon
Ciaran McKeever
Charlie Vernon
Stevie McDonnell
Ronan Clarke

Just the panel? You can throw in McEvoy, Aaron Kernan, a fit Marty O'Rourke, Kieran Toner, Brian Mallon, Kevin O'Rourke, Stephen Kernan - all of these would undobtedly make the panel for me. Starters, however, would be very low.
Of the lads mentioned only Clarke is capable of kicking the ball over the bar from outside the 21  ::)

The only ones unable to would be Martin O Rourke, McEvoy - the keeper - and Toner - the midfielder.

So dont talk shit chap!
When was the last time Mallon, S Kernan scored for Armagh from outside the 21?
My point is all of Tyrones players are capable and often do score from all over the park.....Jordan and D Harte feature regularly on Tyrone's scoresheet, so the only shit talk is coming from yourself!! :D
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

armaghniac

From de Indo
The former Armagh football manager Peter McDonnell has said the leaking of the team and certain tactics into the public domain ahead of their qualifier defeat to Monaghan was "the straw that broke the camel's back" and triggered the management team's departure.

McDonnell released a statement last night on behalf of his management team but was deliberately vague in the direction that he felt the problems lay.

He outlined how the "actual team" as opposed to the "published" team and "tactical dimensions to our play" were put into the public arena ahead of the Monaghan game.

"We have concluded that to remain with Armagh after a breach of confidentiality occurred, which resulted in the actual team and tactics being openly discussed in public prior to the Monaghan game, was pointless and feel that we have been forced into an untenable position with no other option but to resign."

McDonnell said the leaking of this information was not the first time it had happened during the season.

"Throughout the year a number of fabricated stories have appeared in the press and have been alluded to by pundits on national TV.

"This was a constant source of annoyance to players and management and we now know that this was part of a concerted campaign to undermine the group.

"We are disappointed in a time of accountability that articles could be sanctioned for publication by unnamed scribes and prompts from the same used as the basis for informed opinion by columnists."

The management statement added that the Ulster title in 2008 clearly didn't satisfy "a desire for instant success" among some "influential individuals".

It claimed "pressure had been brought to bear" on members of the management and support group who had worked with them over the last two years.

"The expectations we all had for our county's future while leaving Clones in July 2007 were not high, few would have predicted that one year later we would once again be Ulster Champions.

"Yet, in only achieving Ulster success we have failed to satisfy the desire for instant success and have armed influential individuals with all they needed to withdraw support," said the statement.

Pressures

"We acknowledge the tremendous work that the County Board does and the strong support given to us by the same but particularly for the management and support group who have worked closely with us over these past two years, we realise pressures have been brought to bear on them also."

McDonnell, himself, said in a radio interview last night that there was no issue between the Armagh management which he headed and the powerful Crossmaglen club.

"This past two years we have had Crossmaglen players made available for league games. Previously that might not have occurred.

"I would know the manager of the Rangers team very well and he's a gentleman. Both of us tried to help out each other during the year. There is certainly no issue between Crossmaglen and ourselves.

"I am aware that the argument was floated but it has no substance," he asserted.

McDonnell said that he would not be making public the names of those who he felt undermined his management which has only served to fuel further speculation in the county. He admits he understood this would be the case.

Meanwhile, Joe Kernan has ruled himself out of the equation to return as Armagh manager because of business interests while Jarlath Burns has also distanced himself from any current interest in the position.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

Quote from: The GAA on July 23, 2009, 05:17:37 PM

Off the mark there benny. It'll be 2 men. not county board men but 2 that pull the county board strings. This is not a player issue - if the man can't control his own players then he'd only be embarrassing himself by saying so.

I think we can surmise the 2 men in question and I don't think its far off the mark.

Diet Coke

IMHO only one man for the job...Adrian Clarke, currently at Carrickmore.
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.