Cork v Galway - Saturday 18th July 2009

Started by orangeman, July 13, 2009, 01:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Cork have been training away quietly and seem to be coming good at the right time.

Galway hurled Clare off their own pitch last Saturday night.

If last year's match is anything to go by, this should be a cracker.

Any word on Galway's injury worries ??

This is a very hard one to call.

I'm tempted to go with Cork for this one. They've a lot to prove after the usual winter carry on that got out of hand and won't lack motivation. Galway I feel got it too handy against Clare and Cork's forward division will give them plenty to think about.

awfulynice

Quote from: orangeman on July 13, 2009, 01:04:38 PM
Cork have been training away quietly and seem to be coming good at the right time.

Galway hurled Clare off their own pitch last Saturday night.

If last year's match is anything to go by, this should be a cracker.

This is a very hard one to call.

I'm tempted to go with Cork for this one. They've a lot to prove after the usual winter carry on that got out of hand and won't lack motivation. Galway I feel got it too handy against Clare and Cork's forward division will give them plenty to think about.

Having seen Cork in O'Connor Park, i cant see them beating Galway. I think Galways defence will have no problem containing the Cork forward line, whilst Cadogen will have a serious battle on his hands to contain Joe Canning...let alone Cyril Donnelan who was on fire on saturday.

Galway have a point to prove against Cork aswell, so I reckon a 5 or 6 point win unless Cork seriously improve

Reillers

I wont call it till I see the Cork team that's played. A lot will depend on who Walsh starts. If Gardiner's fit, if he is where he's played. If Ben's fit, if he isn't who'll play where instead. If Walsh starts Timmy McCarthy, if Brian Murphy starts, where Shane O Neill starts if Brian Murphy comes in, if Tom Kenny plays in mid/back..etc.

A lot of questions need answering for this one. We NEED to be accurate we threw the Tipp game away with all the misses we had and we were as bad with hitting wides against Offaly.
If we can concentrate and play for the entire game. (Not get someone sent off) And the right team is picked then I think we'll have a good chance winning. But an awful lot, more then usual relies on which team is played. Will be interesting all right.

GalwayBayBoy

Adrian Cullinane is gone anyway. May have done his cruciate. Think Ollie will be alright. Just got a bang to the head and was a bit dazed. Presume Cyril Donnellan will be alright as well.

I'd always be wary of predicting a Galway win against Cork especially in Thurles. Galway have always been able to put it up to Kilkenny and Tipp down through the years and beat them every now and then but we always seem to underperform badly against Cork. Galway have had better teams than Cork in the past and still managed to find a way to lose to them.

That said there seems to be a togetherness about Galway this year and I think you can see that in the way they are harrying and closing down the opposition. They are working extremely hard to be fair to them. It's a long time since I've seen a Galway team get so many blocks and hooks in as they have against Kilkenny and Clare. Overall though I think you would still have to make Cork favourites. Thurles is practically a home venue for them.

orangeman

Reillers - are Cork playing in house matches ?. What days / nights do they train on ?.

Jesus that's awful news about Cullinane - it looked very bad when it happened alright. I'd say Ollie will be grand.

Reillers

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 13, 2009, 02:26:19 PM

Adrian Cullinane is gone anyway. May have done his cruciate. Think Ollie will be alright. Just got a bang to the head and was a bit dazed. Presume Cyril Donnellan will be alright as well.

Cullinane tore his cruciate, so he's gone. Looked like an awful injury, pity though. A knock to the head wont stop Canning I'd say. It'd take an awful lot to keep him out.

seafoid

I'd always be wary of predicting a Galway win against Cork especially in Thurles. Galway have always been able to put it up to Kilkenny and Tipp down through the years and beat them every now and then but we always seem to underperform badly against Cork. Galway have had better teams than Cork in the past and still managed to find a way to lose to them.

Overall though I think you would still have to make Cork favourites. Thurles is practically a home venue for them.

You might as well lose to Laois as to Cork. They aren't going to win anything this year. They are a team in transition. When Galway hurlers get to go to college and beat the Cork lads playing Sigerson or whatever there is no point in having any respect for the Cork jersey. The only reason Cork win more allIreland finals than they lose is because of attitude.  It's Mayo in reverse.  If McIntyre has the heads right they should beat Cork and go another step further. 

And if Galway can get that sorted out the teams will be more stable, there'll be less chopping and changing, there'll be more players getting the right exposure and you'll have more all-Irelands.   

DuffleKing

That said there seems to be a togetherness about Galway this year and I think you can see that in the way they are harrying and closing down the opposition. They are working extremely hard to be fair to them. It's a long time since I've seen a Galway team get so many blocks and hooks in as they have against Kilkenny and Clare. Overall though I think you would still have to make Cork favourites. Thurles is practically a home venue for them.

Any truth in the rumour that galway have enlisted the services of a certain high profile sports psychologist from the north?

orangeman

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 14, 2009, 02:44:49 PM

Any truth in the rumour that galway have enlisted the services of a certain high profile sports psychologist from the north?

Enda Mc Nulty ? Armagh are out now so it's possible alright. I thought that's what Loughnane did for Galway as past 2 years ?.

Reillers

Gardiner apparently took part in full training and came out fine, Ben however is 50/50 for the game. So we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully he'll be grand.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Reillers on July 14, 2009, 03:07:54 PM
Gardiner apparently took part in full training and came out fine, Ben however is 50/50 for the game. So we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully he'll be grand.

He'll play.

longrunsthefox

Is this game on TV live?

Reillers

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 14, 2009, 03:14:58 PM
Quote from: Reillers on July 14, 2009, 03:07:54 PM

He'll play.

Oh I'd say so, I just hope he's fully fit. He's one of those players (Jerry is as well) that you'd have to shoot to get off the pitch. They're fully commited and there was a time there a few years ago where they were just playing so much hurling with Cork and the club, it was only a matter of time before they got injured, and eventually they did.
He'll play I'd say. Without him well, to say we're a lesser team, doesn't exactly cover it.

If Ben O'Connor is fit and if we don't pick a conservative team(which of course I know we will do) we should beat galway and Waterford. But that said, the right team needs to be picked, but I can't see that happening. Hopefully I'm wrong.

longrunsthefox