Cork v Galway - Saturday 18th July 2009

Started by orangeman, July 13, 2009, 01:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: mouview on July 20, 2009, 11:13:46 AM
No, had Nial Mc goaled Cork would still have been 1 point down.

I wasn't too sure about the exact score but it would certainly have been squeaky bum time if he had scored.

INDIANA

Still maintain Galway would have held out. Similar to the Galway footballers yestrday it was a game where Cork didn't deserve a draw.

stevetharlear

Fair play to Galway, well deserved win, hope ye can go now and push on as far as ye can. Don't think ye've played as well as ye can yet.

orangeman

I watched the game all over again last night.

The best team won. No doubt about that.

Cork hurled as welll as they could but came up short against a Galway team who were more hungrier for the game. Cork's intensity just wasn't there. Cork at the minute seem to be in transition mode and it looks like they'll need another season or two to come to the fore again.

Aisiake brings nothing to the game. It's all too slow and predicatable when it comes in around the house to him. Cork need to bring in the new lads who are better than some of those who were playing on Saturday.

Why did Galway take Joe out the field so much ??

orangeman

Former All-Ireland winner Seanie McGrath says it is inevitable that there will be some high-profile retirements in the Cork camp during the off-season.

Cork's involvement in this year's Championship was ended following last Saturday's Qualifier defeat to Galway in Thurles.

However, new manager Denis Walsh had to plan without Joe Deane and Diarmuid O'Sullivan this year after they opted off the panel at the start of the year.

And Leeside legend McGrath, who won an All-Ireland medal with the Rebels in 1999, feels that at least two more mainstays of the great Cork hurling team of the last decade will call time on their careers in the blood and bandage before the start of the 2010 season. 

"It would be very unfair to name fellas at this stage, but I have two names in my head. I think there are two guys that will go to be honest," said McGrath, who was speaking to the GAA's official website, GAA.ie. 

"The guys that I am talking about have given great service. They owe nothing to anyone; these guys have been responsible for Cork getting over the line in big games over the years.

"It might make the job a small bit easier for Denis (Walsh, the Cork manager). When he came in first day, he made it clear that this was going to take time and there was going to be a lot of team building.

"I think deep down when Denis took the job he realised that this was going to be a two to three year work in progress. He has to develop it and get new guys on board and to work with the new lads.

"I think it is inevitable that a couple of lads are going to go. I think it will be good for hurling – I think it will be good for Cork hurling that if they start from square one, go back to basics, try and pick a few from the underage teams and set down key milestones."         

Meanwhile, McGrath has admitted that Cork were always facing an uphill battle to progress in the Championship after missing the start of the season.

"As I said at the start of the year, Cork lost some serious months. Every successful team, every year, when you go back and review the year, they all say that the hard slog comes in training at the start of the year," McGrath added.

"Then come summer time you are able for it. You don't even notice it because it is a subconscious thing – the legs and the mind are able for it because you have gone through a really tough training regime.

"Cork didn't have that.
When Denis Walsh came into play, there were only two or three league games left. Not only did he have a team going out in the condition that he would have wanted the, he was only developing a new game plan at that stage.

"He was up against it from day one and I suppose it was a testament to the natural ability the team had that they put up such a good showing against Tipperary. They put up a great showing against Offaly and or long periods in the Galway game they were still in it."

orangeman

Nice feature on the Road to Croker about the kit man for the Cork hurlers. Very dedicated man who ensures that each and every whim / wish of the players is taken care of.

The players have nothing to do but turn up. All the kit, towels etc etc is there for them when they come off the bus.

He let us into a wee secret or two. Example, he told us that Donal Og always takes half water and half club energise mixed to drink. Wonder does this dilute the sponsorship money too ??   ;) :D

Can't say those lads aren't well looked after.

wino

INDIANA

Canning ignores medical advice

Joe Canning of Galway
19 August 2009

Joe Canning has been told by doctors that he needs to take a year-long break from hurling, but is refusing to listen to them.

The Portumna scoring sensation, whose busy season continues when Galway take on Clare in Saturday's Bord Gais Energy All-Ireland U21 HC semi-final at Thurles, continues to be hampered by a stomach muscle problem that requires him taking a year off in order for it to fully heal.

But he insisted yesterday that a spell on the sidelines is "not an option" as he seeks to maximise his senior inter-county career.

"I need a year off basically to sort it out and unless I get dropped or something, that's not going to happen," the 20-year-old said.

"You only have a couple of years and you don't know what's around the corner.

"The injury is to my pubic symphysis. The muscle just came off the pubic bone. It's a muscle thing that just hampers me turning, taking off and sprinting and that kind of stuff. Any guy that had it before has taken six, eight or 12 months away and it would seem to be okay.

"But I don't know, it's not an option in my book. I want to play as much as I can. It's not threatening my career at this stage. Unless it does threaten my career as in, you won't be able to hurl next year, then maybe. But it's okay, I'm able to get by. I play a match and a few days after I'd be sore.

"It's not enough to affect my performance or anything and I wouldn't use it as an excuse. I'm lucky enough to be able to play."

Canning admitted he is still struggling to get over the disappointment of Galway's agonising All-Ireland quarter-final defeat to Waterford, when he missed a late chance to force a replay.

"We were four points up with three minutes to go and to lose it was unthinkable. I didn't watch the match yet and I'm still sickened by it. It's hard to take, we were leading so well and we basically threw it away. I was very frustrated with the point I missed at the end. I had the chance to level it and just fluffed it. I know it was a difficult angle but I'd expect myself to get it."

He added: "We've improved in leaps and bounds since last year but we've to start back again. It's a big disappointment that we won nothing. People were saying it was a good season for Galway but at the end of the day, we've no silverware or anything. It's a failure in my book."

The current All-Star also insists that older brother Ollie still has plenty to offer at the highest level.

"He is still hurting about the loss. He's 33 now and it's hard to know. I haven't talked to him about it but, hopefully he will come back. We need his experience and he is vital to us in Galway. I think a lot of the younger guys look up to him. He held John Mullane, which any other defender didn't do. Hopefully he'll commit for another year or two."

Zulu

He should take the time off necessary to get himself right and the Galway and Portumna management should be taking the lead to ensure he does.