Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on July 16, 2009, 09:48:56 PM
Cork team for Saturday:

1. Donal Óg Cusack 2. Shane O'Neill 3. Eoin Cadogan
4. Shane Murphy 5. John Gardiner 6. Ronan Curran
7. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín 8. Tom Kenny 9. Jerry O'Connor
10. Ben O'Connor 11. Pa Cronin 12.Timmy McCarthy 13. Kieran Murphy
14. Aisake Ó hAilpín 15. Patrick Horgan

And that's curtains. FFS. We actually could have won this match, IF the right team was played, but that team in places defies logic. Season will be over by Saturday night I'd say.

No Brian Murphy, no Callinan..etc.
I genuinely thought we would win the game, but after seeing that team and then Galway's team, I'm not so sure. Walsh had a massive opportunity to put the best team out but he's gone back to the old reliables, yet again.
Has Timmy played a good game this year for Cork? No. Fraggie? No.
Gardiner's out of form Curran as well, while Callinan is the best player in Tullamore, but can't get a game.
There goes our season.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 16, 2009, 10:25:32 PM
Cork team for Saturday:

And that's curtains. FFS. We actually could have won this match, IF the right team was played, but that team in places defies logic. Season will be over by Saturday night I'd say.

There's only one thing for it Reillers......anyone got Kieran Shannon's number handy to start the ball rolling???

orangeman

Deja vu .............

Poor auld Wlash if Cork lose will take some pasting.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team to play Cork

Colm Callanan (Kinvara)
Fergal Moore (Turloughmore)
Shane Kavanagh (Kinvara)
Ollie Canning (Portumna)
Damien Joyce (Cappataggle)
John Lee (Liam Mellows)
Eoin Lynch (Portumna)
Ger Farragher (Castlegar)
Kevin Hynes (Sarsfields)
Aongus Callanan (Liam Mellows)
Cyril Donnellan (Padraig Pearses)
Andy Smith (Portumna)
Damien Hayes (Portumna)
Joe Canning (Portumna)
Niall Healy (Craughwell)

Reillers

I suppose Timmy was always going to start, there to hound out Lee.
DW has played the experience card, but some of those players are past it, were years ago. Ya Walsh should be given the benefit of the doubt, clearly, surely, the few Fraggy and such have to be doing something right in training. It's incredible that some are playing terribly but get their place, are almost a permanent fixture, while Callinan is on real form at the minute and can't get a starting place.
At least we've a strong bench. Just hopefully we'll see more then a half an hour of some players off the bench. Obviously Walsh has training and such to see them in, but I cannot see us winning with that team at all. I don't see a chance of it. Please God I'm proved wrong.

sligeach

Quick strike!

awfulynice

Cork team for Saturday:

I genuinely thought we would win the game, but after seeing that team and then Galway's team, I'm not so sure. Walsh had a massive opportunity to put the best team out but he's gone back to the old reliables, yet again.
Gardiner's out of form Curran as well, while Callinan is the best player in Tullamore, but can't get a game.
There goes our season.

In fairness Gardiner was on top form against tipp, really played cork back into that game imo. I cant see why Callinan isnt playing myself, but id be willing to give Walsh the benefit of the doubt. Experience will be really needed tomorrow night if Cork are to have any hope.

I personally think Galway will win by a couple of points at least. The Cork backline is starting to get a little shaky, and its up against some of the best forwards in the country who are starting to gel well. Meanwhile the Cork forward line is really lost without joe deane, he and ben oconnor were the forwards they could rely on to get a few points from play every game. Now looking at the forward six, there is really only oconnor i would bet on getting the better of his man. A lot of the rest of the forwards are more big and akward rather than fast and accurate, so if lee and canning are on their game i could see cork in real trouble to get scores.

johnneycool

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 16, 2009, 10:42:13 PM
Galway team to play Cork

Colm Callanan (Kinvara)
Fergal Moore (Turloughmore)
Shane Kavanagh (Kinvara)
Ollie Canning (Portumna)
Damien Joyce (Cappataggle)
John Lee (Liam Mellows)
Eoin Lynch (Portumna)
Ger Farragher (Castlegar)
Kevin Hynes (Sarsfields)
Aongus Callanan (Liam Mellows)
Cyril Donnellan (Padraig Pearses)
Andy Smith (Portumna)
Damien Hayes (Portumna)
Joe Canning (Portumna)
Niall Healy (Craughwell)

Obviously McIntyre doesn't fancy Ger Mahon as a step in replacement at left half back and has moved Eoin Lynch back who is no stranger to there but I'd doubt the battling qualities of Farragher in midfield although if he does get on the ball he may be able to play a better ball in, big if though and if Cork can get the momentum going in midfield it'll be hard to reverse it.
    It's the one thing that struck me about the Clare game was that none of the Galway subs brought anything extra into the game barring maybe Chunky Hayes but even then he's hardly going to turn a game for you. It seems Galway can't afford any more injuries to key personnel or they're fecked

DuffleKing

mouview

Quote from: Reillers on July 16, 2009, 11:34:06 PM
DW has played the experience card, but some of those players are past it, were years ago. Ya Walsh should be given the benefit of the doubt, clearly, surely, the few Fraggy and such have to be doing something right in training. It's incredible that some are playing terribly but get their place, are almost a permanent fixture, while Callinan is on real form at the minute and can't get a starting place.
At least we've a strong bench. Just hopefully we'll see more then a half an hour of some players off the bench. Obviously Walsh has training and such to see them in, but I cannot see us winning with that team at all. I don't see a chance of it. Please God I'm proved wrong.

Ya, ya, ya. Galway have enough bad memories of Gardiner, O Connor x 2, Curran etc. to be taken in by chat like this! Galway are far from the finished article too you know and quite a few of the players have improved form to find.

A brave and very correct decision by McIntyre not to select Ger Mahon but I'm not sure if moving Lynch to wing-back and bringing in Farragher is the best fix either. If he really wanted to go for broke he could have brought in Richie Murray at wing-back (he played quite well there in league games) and left Lynch where he was.

Too nervous to predict any scoreline for this match.

johnneycool

Quote from: mouview on July 17, 2009, 10:01:03 AM
Quote from: Reillers on July 16, 2009, 11:34:06 PM

Ya, ya, ya. Galway have enough bad memories of Gardiner, O Connor x 2, Curran etc. to be taken in by chat like this! Galway are far from the finished article too you know and quite a few of the players have improved form to find.

A brave and very correct decision by McIntyre not to select Ger Mahon but I'm not sure if moving Lynch to wing-back and bringing in Farragher is the best fix either. If he really wanted to go for broke he could have brought in Richie Murray at wing-back (he played quite well there in league games) and left Lynch where he was.

Too nervous to predict any scoreline for this match.

How long of a suspension did you Richard get then?

Lecale2

I'm really looking forward to this one. It's hard to beat the knockout for making it interesting.

Is full forward really the best position for Joe Canning?

Reillers

Quote from: awfulynice on July 17, 2009, 08:37:18 AM
Cork team for Saturday:

There goes our season.

In fairness Gardiner was on top form against tipp, really played cork back into that game imo. I cant see why Callinan isnt playing myself, but id be willing to give Walsh the benefit of the doubt. Experience will be really needed tomorrow night if Cork are to have any hope.

I personally think Galway will win by a couple of points at least. The Cork backline is starting to get a little shaky, and its up against some of the best forwards in the country who are starting to gel well. Meanwhile the Cork forward line is really lost without joe deane, he and ben oconnn,or were the forwards they could rely on to get a few points from play every game. Now looking at the forward six, there is really only oconnor i would bet on getting the better of his man. A lot of the rest of the forwards are more big and akward rather than fast and accurate, so if lee and canning are on their game i could see cork in real trouble to get scores.

Ya and the problems you're on about up front and in the backline, both can be fixed, both have players who can help fix those problems, but Walsh goes for the old experience card yet again. I trust Walsh I do, but some of those on that experience card are past it. I just hope Walsh knows what he's doing and we're not roaring at him from the terrace tomorrow night to make changes.
Hopefully, and a lot of people seem to think the same, this isn't the real team that starts, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I can't see either teams, Cork or Galway lining up like that on the night, and I'd say we wont know till about 7.01 Saturday night.

I can see Cork winning the battle in mid, hopefully. So that's somewhat comforting. It'll be a big night for Brian Gavin, hopefully he'll step up and doesn't try to screw us over yet again.
IF the right team, in most people's view..except Walsh apparently, had been picked I would have given us an excellent chance of winning the game. With this team though....it looks like curtains. I cannot see Galway loosing to that team. I've a very bad feeling, which seems to be the feeling around Cork at the minute, that our season will be over by Saturday night. I just can't see us winning with this team.

theskull1

You've had a bad feeling about all the game to date Reillers  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

shg

if galway get ahead of cork in the first half,i fancy them to win,the first 10 mins will tell a lot
i have not seen galway hunt in packs like they have so far for a long time,it will be interesting to see if cork can match that with an ageing team for 70 mins,i reckon the cork bench will be emptied and that will have a huge bearing before the end
i would look to the kilkenny match more so than the clare match as a barometer,galway played well against kilkenny and kilkenny just about turned it around,the small galway forwards will have more space in thurles than tullamore and if they can contribute to the scoring charts,i cant see cork matching it that other end
galway kept kept king henry and most of the kilkenny forwards very quiet in tullamore and if they do the same to cork they will be well on the way