What Football Rule Changes Would you introduce next year?

Started by mylestheslasher, July 05, 2009, 05:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irenses

Separate official for timing

Bans based on games not time

A rugby style citing commissioner who is particularly hard on playacting, diving and other such cheating.

LandErIn

Would like to get rid of the backdoor to try and get a bit of life back into the championship.  At the minute the only excitement is around Antrim, Fermanagh last year, waterford hurlers a few years back and teams who are causing upsets.

It would also give the clubscene a better chance of flourishing.

blanketattack

I would also change the backdoor. Have it only at provincial level similar to the minors. The 1/4 finals would include 2 teams from each province.

Stall the Bailer

The squareball rule would easier to police if it was changed, so that only the defending team can enter their own square. A free out to be rewarded if an attacking player enters the small square. I think we need some sort of squareball rule to give the goal keepers protection.

longball

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 06, 2009, 10:21:51 PM
The Mark for Kickouts

limit teams to either 2 or 3 handpasses in a row,Then they have to kick.

Sin Bin rule brought in.
offending player gets 10 minutes

Abolish square ball.

allow only the captain to speak to the referee ala Rugby.

If the sin bin was brought into mens football id quit. Think its a stupid rule. To be honest i wouldnt change much at the mo. The only thing is a bit more protection for the player in the terms of high fielding a man that gets up and plucks a kickout usually comes down into a crowd of waiting men and gets bottled up. Wouldnt say a 'mark' but something like that.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Maguire01

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 05, 2009, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 08:38:54 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 05, 2009, 08:02:05 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 07:54:59 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 05, 2009, 07:49:18 PM
A sin bin would well and truly f**k up Monaghans chances in the championship, playing with thirteen men at some stages... I wouldn't mind a sin bin rule...
I think to single out Monaghan on this one is a bit of a farce. Plenty of teams could have periods with 13 men if this was introduced.

Trouble has seemed to follow Monaghan a lot more recently though, more sustained than for any other team.
Rubbish. Have you stats for yellow cards?

Nope, I am just talking about fighting and stuff like that, you saying you have a team of angels then I suppose??  ::)
Not at all. But I don't think Monaghan have a disproportionate number of yellow cards compared to other teams, therefore I don't see that they would be disproportionately disadvantaged.

Maguire01

Quote from: Overthebar! on July 05, 2009, 08:46:30 PM
ONL leave monaghan alone they are a good clean footballing team! :D :D
your not aloud to make a comment unless you have the stats to back it up ok?
You can if you want - any idiot can comment, but your comment will be more credible if you can back it up.

lob her in lad

Why would you want to change anything in the game?? I have to laugh when people give out about it not being the same as it used to. The golden era of the middle part of last century. I have seen some of these so called epic battles on RTE and TG4 and fact is they were horrible to watch. The game has gotten faster and more intelligent and this is hard for people without a brain to grasp. What good is a long high kicking game??
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on July 07, 2009, 05:36:44 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on July 07, 2009, 03:06:46 PM
The squareball rule would easier to police if it was changed, so that only the defending team can enter their own square. A free out to be rewarded if an attacking player enters the small square. I think we need some sort of squareball rule to give the goal keepers protection.
That'd be great if you went up by a point just after half time and then got the ball back to your keeper who stood there with the ball until the end of the match.
But if a forward entered the square the keeper would be awarded a free out. If he didn't take it, he'd surely give away a penalty and his team would then possibly be down by 2 points.
;D

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: lob her in lad on July 07, 2009, 05:27:10 PM
What good is a long high kicking game??

Maybe you should change your name to "Dont lob her in lad" so.

mylestheslasher

Why would you want to change anything in the game?? I have to laugh when people give out about it not being the same as it used to. The golden era of the middle part of last century. I have seen some of these so called epic battles on RTE and TG4 and fact is they were horrible to watch. The game has gotten faster and more intelligent and this is hard for people without a brain to grasp. What good is a long high kicking game??

The reason I would like to change the game (never mind what the standard of football was like in the past) is because more and more mediocre teams are packing their defences full of players. This isn't too bad when you have one team attacking and the other playing a super defensive counter attacking game. The problem is when 2 mediocre teams meet or just two that are more afraid of each other than confident of themselves, we get a terrible spectacle of all out defend, dirty digs, draging, misplaced passes etc. If nothing is done more and more teams will take up this tactic as it requires nothing more than fitness and work rate. I would like to see more open games where skill is the primary reason a game is won. There is currently a race to the bottom in football and things will get worse if nothing is done.

The sin bin will go someway to stop the filth that is going on. High fielding is a traditional skill of football and in my opinion watching players pluck high kicks out of the ground is one of my favourite skills, especially compared to multiple 5 yard hand passes. 

lob her in lad

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 07, 2009, 10:12:07 PM

The reason I would like to change the game (never mind what the standard of football was like in the past) is because more and more mediocre teams are packing their defences full of players. This isn't too bad when you have one team attacking and the other playing a super defensive counter attacking game. The problem is when 2 mediocre teams meet or just two that are more afraid of each other than confident of themselves, we get a terrible spectacle of all out defend, dirty digs, draging, misplaced passes etc. If nothing is done more and more teams will take up this tactic as it requires nothing more than fitness and work rate. I would like to see more open games where skill is the primary reason a game is won. There is currently a race to the bottom in football and things will get worse if nothing is done.

The sin bin will go someway to stop the filth that is going on. High fielding is a traditional skill of football and in my opinion watching players pluck high kicks out of the ground is one of my favourite skills, especially compared to multiple 5 yard hand passes. 

I don't disagree with anything you say it all makes sense but I think bringing a whole plethora of changes would have the opposite effect and drive people away from the game. The sin bin option is probably the best idea to cut out the rough stuff, you would quickly hear it from your team mates if you had to sit for 10 mins on the sideline while they were working hard trying to fill the gaps.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Bogball XV

The sin bin has to come in - other changes such as taking timing out of the ref's hands and doing to properly are just enforcements of the existing rules.  Personally I'd love to see 4 points for a goal, long range point taking is an art, but it's hard to beat the excitement of a goal - i suppose counter productively blanket defences would put 8 men across the line.
While we're on the subject of goals, is it not time that hurling penalty takers faced two men on the line - the present situation seems to me to favour the defensive side, what's the success rate in inter county hurling I wonder - less than 50% I would reckon?

TonesAbĂș

I think that the mark should be used, if only for kickouts even. How disappointing for a midfielder to make a great catch only to be smothered and give away a free on landing.  13-a-side is a possibility. It works well at underage level in Tyrone anyway and definitely makes for a more exciting game.

But how about a re-structure of the championship altogether. The provincial championships could be played instead of the league, with the championship being an open Champions League style draw. 8 groups of 4 so we don't have to worry about teams only getting 1 game. With all games from 2nd round on played at neutral venues.