What Football Rule Changes Would you introduce next year?

Started by mylestheslasher, July 05, 2009, 05:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

The obvious one is that there should be game rather than time bans - I can not believe this still hasn't been changed because I've never spoken to one person about this issue who thinks otherwise.

Other than that I can see merit in the 10-min sin-bin, and the countdown clock perhaps.  As for the actual game-play, square ball should be scrapped or else modified to the way it was in the early 90s ie attacker couldn;t be in square when the ball was hit.  The current rule is impossible to implement correctly at times, even with the beneift of cameras its often hard to tell.

Our Nail Loney

A sin bin would well and truly f**k up Monaghans chances in the championship, playing with thirteen men at some stages... I wouldn't mind a sin bin rule...

I don't think changing to thirteen players would be that viable, it would be hard to implement all across the board, managers and trainers would on the most part hate it, having to change everything they have engrained into them.

The clock thing is good sense also...

Maguire01

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 05, 2009, 07:49:18 PM
A sin bin would well and truly f**k up Monaghans chances in the championship, playing with thirteen men at some stages... I wouldn't mind a sin bin rule...
I think to single out Monaghan on this one is a bit of a farce. Plenty of teams could have periods with 13 men if this was introduced.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 07:54:59 PM
I think to single out Monaghan on this one is a bit of a farce. Plenty of teams could have periods with 13 men if this was introduced.

Trouble has seemed to follow Monaghan a lot more recently though, more sustained than for any other team.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

mylestheslasher

I don't think the GAA will go for any new rules that cannot be enforced at club level. That rules out anything that involves linesmen or umpires being asked to do anything. I intentionally left such ideas out of my own list. I would like to see play acting totally removed from inter county. Perhaps going through the match afterwards and checking for such conduct. Anyone diving should be hit with a 2 match ban. Same for anyone that jumps around gloating in their opponents face. Again, very unlikely to be be introduced.

Gnevin

I'd get rid of the square ball rule. All these camera angles and disputes over square balls is ridiculous
Also I'd go with Rugby style time keeping .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on July 05, 2009, 08:11:18 PM
I'd get rid of the square ball rule. All these camera angles and disputes over square balls is ridiculous
but then you run the risk of players standing on top of goalkeepers.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 05, 2009, 08:12:19 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 05, 2009, 08:11:18 PM
but then you run the risk of players standing on top of goalkeepers.
So?

Maguire01

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 05, 2009, 08:02:05 PM

Trouble has seemed to follow Monaghan a lot more recently though, more sustained than for any other team.
Rubbish. Have you stats for yellow cards?

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 08:38:54 PM

Nope, I am just talking about fighting and stuff like that, you saying you have a team of angels then I suppose??  ::)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 05, 2009, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 08:38:54 PM

Nope, I am just talking about fighting and stuff like that, you saying you have a team of angels then I suppose??  ::)
To be fair, monaghan are better at getting other players sent off so a sin bin would probably suit them a lot. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Overthebar!

ONL leave monaghan alone they are a good clean footballing team! :D :D
your not aloud to make a comment unless you have the stats to back it up ok?

Archie Mitchell

Have 2 extra linesmen so they only cover one half each.
Give linesmen more power to award frees for incidents that happen close to them and that the referee may miss, similar to the way linesmen in soccer can give free's.
Game bans rather than time bans.
A mark for a clean catch from a kickout.
Get rid off or change the square ball rule.

DUBSFORSAM1

Just apply the rules strictly and before the start of the championship get all counties to sign up to an agreement that they will accept a disciplinary ruling without appealing a la Aussie Rules.....all suspensions are in games...

One thing from basketball is -

7 Cynical fouls in opposition half lead to every free kick from centre field..
7 Cyincal fouls in own half leads to all free kicks from 30 yards out..