What Football Rule Changes Would you introduce next year?

Started by mylestheslasher, July 05, 2009, 05:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Something needs to be done to prevent football decend further into the depths. What rules would you introduce to improve the game. For me the most simple and effective would be...

1) Mark for clean catch to prevent all this crowding around a fallen midfielder whos just made a great catch.
2) Similar to rugby a 10 minute sin bin stint for a yellow card. Unlike the experimental rules that does not mean that a punch in the gob is a yellow now, it is still a red. Refs have to be forced to give the correct card.
3) Would definetly look at a 13 a side experiment to see would it create any more space for forwards.

Edit - Maybe 4pts for a goal would be worth a go?

Maguire01

Some of those suggestions are reasonable enough - better than suggestions to put a limit on the number of hand passes for example. I wouldn't be fussed on reducing the number of players on the field though.

JMohan

None.

Leave the bloody game alone.

It was played as it should be today in Munster ... nothing wrong with it when played right.
Why does everyone want to f*ck with the rules?

dodo

That Monaghan and Derry are not allowed to play each other ever again

Cosmo Kramer

I would like to see positional restrictions brought in i.e. each team must have at least 5 players in the opposition half at all times, to stop teams playing 13 men behind the ball style blanket defence.

4 points for a goal also to reduce something that really annoys me, players going clean through on goal and tapping over for a point for fear of a bolloking if they go for goal and miss. Would also keep games alive for longer, if a team is down by 8, they could be 2 attacks away from being level.

Its worth trying things out because it could be so much better, instead of the odd good game when two teams play open football you can encourage that to be the most effective style of play and get more great games as a result.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Maguire01

One thing has just struck me - 13 men on the field would effectively give teams like Monaghan a stronger bench, with 2 of the normal starting 15 dropping back to the subs. The likes of Kerry and Tyrone will still have more depth in their panels, but you can only play so many subs in a game.

Maguire01

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 05, 2009, 06:36:41 PM
I would like to see positional restrictions brought in i.e. each team must have at least 5 players in the opposition half at all times, to stop teams playing 13 men behind the ball style blanket defence.
Not a mission - you could never referee that.

4 points for a goal also to reduce something that really annoys me, players going clean through on goal and tapping over for a point for fear of a bolloking if they go for goal and miss. Would also keep games alive for longer, if a team is down by 8, they could be 2 attacks away from being level.
It could also kill games a lot sooner.

pintsofguinness

Not 4 points for a goal, how about 2 points for a "point" kicked from outside 30 yards or something?

Strangely, I'd like to see what 13 aside tried. 

I always been one shouting to leave the rules alone but I must admit this years championship would have been thinking should we make a few changes. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

PatDaly

No rule changes but its about time we had an open draw with 8 groups of 4 teams with the top 2 in each group qualifying for a knockout series (i.e.) champions league format. Will we ever see it in our lifetimes? The provincial championships are antiquated.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: PatDaly on July 05, 2009, 06:47:38 PM
No rule changes but an its time we had an open draw with 8 groups of 4 teams with the top 2 in each group qualifying for a knockout series (i.e.) champions league format. Will we ever see it in our lifetimes? The provincial championships are antiquated.

I was arguing for that years ago, would love to see that. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Jinxy

6 points for a cartwheel while in possession of the ball.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 05, 2009, 06:46:10 PM
Not 4 points for a goal, how about 2 points for a "point" kicked from outside 30 yards or something?
Again, like the idea of so many players remaining in 1 half, this could be a difficult one to call with kicks 'around' the 30 year mark.

Trevor Hill

I would like to see the "mark" introduced. Its terrible to see someone pull a ball out of the sky, only to be surrounded and blown up for over carrying.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 06:39:54 PM
Not a mission - you could never referee that.

It would have to be done by linesmen or umpires. Most of the time the umpires are standing up doing nothing, might as well get them involved.

It could make a big difference.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

longrunsthefox

Like amateur boxing (I think) stop the contest if a team is 15 points in front... would have saved us the likes of that Roscommon game and some hurling results like last years final. I've never heard of a team come back from 15 pts. No-I ain't hinting at Ulster final as I think Antrm could hold Tyrone to 7 or 8 pts.