What Football Rule Changes Would you introduce next year?

Started by mylestheslasher, July 05, 2009, 05:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

In Aussie Rules when a referee advances the ball, he brings it forward around forty yards. I think this would cut out a lot of the backchat given to refs and it would stop lads throwing the ball away or holding onto it after being blown for a foul. Thirteen metres in our own game isn't really a big enough deterrent.

The square ball rule is also a difficult one for referees to police. I'd like to see the small square being out of bounds for all players apart from the goalkeeper.

Move the position from where penalties are taken closer to the goals. Many backs and goalkeepers are willing to cynically pull a guy down because they know that there's an excellent chance the penalty will be missed.

The sin bin is a good idea IMO. I think ten minutes is a bit too severe though in a seventy minute game. Perhaps seven or eight minutes would be more acceptable.

I wouldn't agree with thirteen-a-side. If it was brought into the club game there'd be two starters off every team at every age level not getting a game. A lot of lads would become disillusioned with the game if they weren't getting a run out.

There's not an awful lot wrong with football when it's played in the right spirit and the onus is on the players to ensure this is the case. A few small adjustments in the rules would add greatly to the game though.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Bogball XV

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 05, 2009, 05:42:04 PM
Something needs to be done to prevent football decend further into the depths. What rules would you introduce to improve the game. For me the most simple and effective would be...

1) Mark for clean catch to prevent all this crowding around a fallen midfielder whos just made a great catch.
2) Similar to rugby a 10 minute sin bin stint for a yellow card. Unlike the experimental rules that does not mean that a punch in the gob is a yellow now, it is still a red. Refs have to be forced to give the correct card.
3) Would definetly look at a 13 a side experiment to see would it create any more space for forwards.

Edit - Maybe 4pts for a goal would be worth a go?

4 points for a goal would be well worth introducing, i've been a champion of the sin bin for a long time now and really can't see how anyone can be against it.

I'm not so sure about 13 a side, used to play in some 13 a side competitions and whilst there would be a bit more scoring and room, it'd be counteracted by the tactical rugby league influenced genii we have managing our county teams at present - also it gave the weaker players like myself less game time (can't imagine the GPA would be too supportive of the move - they'd have to get rid of 2/15ths of their membership.

I wouldn't be in favour of the mark at all.

ONeill

Nice coats for the umpires.

I'd go even further and have digitalised coats that turn green for a goal, amber for a point and red for a wide. If they see any off-the-ball stuff, their coats flash manically like a light on top of a cop car. I'd also have a travelator for the linesmen as an option if tired towards the end. It'll be controlled with a remote attached to the bottom of their flag.

Another idea worth trying out is a cooling period. A horn sounds over the sound system and when it occurs all players have to freeze. The next horn indicates that all odd numbers are allowed to move. After 5 minutes another horn sounds, they freeze, then another horn and even numbers play. Then a final horn and everyone can move except 2, 7 and 14.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bogball XV

Quote from: ONeill on July 06, 2009, 01:01:28 AM
I'd also have a travelator for the linesmen as an option if tired towards the end. It'll be controlled with a remote attached to the bottom of their flag.
Having done linesman recently, I'm 100% behind this one - worst thing was the feckin ref ignored me anyway!

Pangurban

A clear coherent definition of a legitimate tackle, then strict adherence by refs. to said definition
A player who holds onto the ball, when a free has been awarded against his team, shown a yellow card
Allow Ball to be picked off the ground

Tyrones own

Are we not jumping the gun a bit here lads..........Sure Tyrone might not win it next yr.
Heavens forbid, Kerry win it sure the rules will be back to being fine and
Dandy just the way they are ::) Def consistent anyway.... I'll give ye that!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

cadhlancian

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 05, 2009, 05:42:04 PM
Something needs to be done to prevent football decend further into the depths. What rules would you introduce to improve the game. For me the most simple and effective would be...

1) Mark for clean catch to prevent all this crowding around a fallen midfielder whos just made a great catch.
2) Similar to rugby a 10 minute sin bin stint for a yellow card. Unlike the experimental rules that does not mean that a punch in the gob is a yellow now, it is still a red. Refs have to be forced to give the correct card.
3) Would definetly look at a 13 a side experiment to see would it create any more space for forwards.Edit - Maybe 4pts for a goal would be worth a go?
how many aside were the TYrone v Down and Kerry v Galway games last year?

supersub

Abolish the square ball, have a sin bin, clear definition of an illegal tackle so the referees know what they are blowing for - it annoys me when they give a free and then do some sort of gestures with their arms/body as in this is what it was given for...and it looks like they are doing some sort of dance!

Doohicky

Even if it could be enforced, surely the 5 man in opposition half would be silly anyway.

What if a defender is travelling over the halfway line with the ball and the forward is pursuing him.
Should the attacker have to stop at the half way line and count how many of his team are in what half before continuing with the tackle?

What kind of punishment would be fitting?

The players are busy enough marking their men and so forth without having to keep an accurate count of how many players are in which half.

rrhf

I think theres some serious points there, although to be fair O Neill I think you are messing.  I have thought about this one for years and Its about protecting the high catch as loved by Pat Spillane and Pat Daly and all,  It is undoubtedly a dying art and I disagree with Mickey Harte when he says it now requires more skills than ever to effect the high catch - I think it needs to be brought back in. 
So heres my solution.
Why not make the ball with a fluffy exterior and supply huge velcro gloves to the midfielders.

panc56

Clock for timing,
4 Quarters,
3,000 euros each tax-free.......

Denn Forever

Some interesting suggestions but would they work in the heat of battle of the Championship? 

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BallyhaiseMan

The Mark for Kickouts

limit teams to either 2 or 3 handpasses in a row,Then they have to kick.

Sin Bin rule brought in.
offending player gets 10 minutes

Abolish square ball.

allow only the captain to speak to the referee ala Rugby.