Cork V Offaly

Started by Reillers, July 02, 2009, 03:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

What did you think of Cusack's puck outs Reillers? I thought they were cat at times. At one stage he pucked it straight to Brendan Murphy under the stand, and later on he gave one straight to Joe Bergin, who tapped it over the bar.  Those two weren't even close, and in a tight game it could be enough to beat Cork.

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 05, 2009, 03:36:39 PM
Sadly the traditional Offaly second half fade out arrived again to make the scoreboard look ugly.

Offaly hurling sides need to cope better with setbacks.
A major bugbear of mine is that in this decade Offaly team seems to completely go out of games and concede a string of easy scores once they fall more than 5 or 6 points behind.
;D

So what's going on in Offaly? Is it the golf or too much suburban executive style housing? In the days of Pat Carroll and Padraig Horan or even the Pilntons there was no such thing as a traditional Offaly second half fade out. Or is the county just biding its time lulling everyone into a false sense of security? 

Reillers

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 06, 2009, 12:16:20 PM
What did you think of Cusack's puck outs Reillers? I thought they were cat at times. At one stage he pucked it straight to Brendan Murphy under the stand, and later on he gave one straight to Joe Bergin, who tapped it over the bar.  Those two weren't even close, and in a tight game it could be enough to beat Cork.

I don't know..Like he did well enough, and he's not playing badly, but I think that next season (not now because we need that stability because of the inexperience we now have in the FB line and such) Coleman should get his chance. He's an excellent keeper, and he should be given a go.

On the puckouts, I wouldn't blame anything really on Donal Og's puck outs, the problem wasn't his puck outs, the problem was with the concentration levels of the players that they were directed at.  
If a player can't win a short puck out that's right in their space then they're not going to be able to win a long one where everyone's competing for it.

The only score I can think of that was a direct result of an error by Donal Og the other night was where his puckout led to, like you said, Bergin's point rigt before half tme.
But he has to vary the puckouts, or it'd be too easy to read.

What might help us massively is, what has to be some of the best news I've heard for a while, Brian Murphy is back training with the senior hurlers.

There were rumours last night and it was confirmed today. That is a massive boost and a shot in the arm to the IC team. Delighted he's back. He needed the break, he suffers badly sometimes in games hopefully now he's better, and also he had personal problems to sort out, but now hopefully he's all set to come back.  

But Murphy coming in means that we can change a lot around the pitch. Especially with Shane O Neill. And freeing up Shane o Neill to go further up the field changes a lot. Murphy is one of the best corners in the country and he's a nightmare to play against. But having Brian Murphy back in the team, changes a lot. Shane O Neill is fantastic on the ball and I've always, most have, wanted to see him play somewhere else like mid/wingback, he's fantastic on the ball, till now we didn't have the luxury of being able to move him up. Now we can.
Shane Murphy on the scene this year too makes things even better. He's coming along nicely.

But having Brian Murphy, it enhances the team's attacking options. And at the same time it gives us more options in defence as well. Which is great. A massive timely boost for the Cork team.

Great news to hear him come back, he's been truely missed. He was incredible in the last 30 odd mins of the Blackrock game last Sunday. Can't wait to see him back in the Cork jersey. Not many better in his position.

The ultimate silent pig is back. A complete gent.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 07, 2009, 09:44:16 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 06, 2009, 12:16:20 PM

Brian Murphy is back training with the senior hurlers.

Is he going to put an Ipod on to stop getting migraines from listening to Donal Og?

orangeman

Good to hear Brian is able to resume after the trauma of the strike.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on July 07, 2009, 10:37:52 PM
Good to hear Brian is able to resume after the trauma of the strike.

+1

Reillers

As per usual Heffo would rather moan about Donal Og then be happy in the fact that after he's able to come back, a true GAA person would, but no, no, despite the fact that he is one of the best in the game, ye would rather complain about Donal Og and the "trauma of the strike." For the 100th time (and I think the fact that he's come back just backs that up) him leaving had nothing to do with what happened. But no sure, nothing is good enough for ye. All ye want to do is complain and moan. Most true GAA men would be happy to see such a talent of the game back. Ye're replies show a lot about ye, (nothing I hadn't known I suppose.)

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 08, 2009, 12:00:20 AM
As per usual Heffo would rather moan about Donal Og then be happy in the fact that after he's able to come back, a true GAA person would, but no, no, despite the fact that he is one of the best in the game, ye would rather complain about Donal Og and the "trauma of the strike." For the 100th time (and I think the fact that he's come back just backs that up) him leaving had nothing to do with what happened. But no sure, nothing is good enough for ye. All ye want to do is complain and moan. Most true GAA men would be happy to see such a talent of the game back. Ye're replies show a lot about ye, (nothing I hadn't known I suppose.)

If you have a look at other threads there is discussion on CJ McGourty, Rory O'Carroll, Paddy Bradley etc and why they left the panel and any issues surrounding it.

At the time Murphy left the panel, it was widely speculated here, on other message boards and off the record by GAA journalists that he was unhappy with the strike and the alleged pressure 'dissenters' on the panel were put under to present a 'united front' - you attacked anyone at the time who didn't fully accept the 'migraines' story.

He's back now and in Reillersland there is no discussion allowed whatsoever on the issue..

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on July 08, 2009, 08:46:43 AM

If you have a look at other threads there is discussion on CJ McGourty, Rory O'Carroll, Paddy Bradley etc and why they left the panel and any issues surrounding it.

At the time Murphy left the panel, it was widely speculated here, on other message boards and off the record by GAA journalists that he was unhappy with the strike and the alleged pressure 'dissenters' on the panel were put under to present a 'united front' - you attacked anyone at the time who didn't fully accept the 'migraines' story.

He's back now and in Reillersland there is no discussion allowed whatsoever on the issue..

Oh grow up Heffo, move on. I said he was back and in ou jumped complaining and moaning about things that happened months ago. If the "speculation" was true, then he wouldn't have come back now would he, so your little fairytale which you love adding fire to isn't actually true. I still see how you barely recognise that he's back. One of the true greats of the game in the last few years returns to the IC scene and all you can do is moan. Surprise surprise.  ::)

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 08, 2009, 09:16:29 AM

Oh grow up Heffo, move on. I said he was back and in ou jumped complaining and moaning about things that happened months ago. If the "speculation" was true, then he wouldn't have come back now would he, so your little fairytale which you love adding fire to isn't actually true. I still see how you barely recognise that he's back. One of the true greats of the game in the last few years returns to the IC scene and all you can do is moan. Surprise surprise.  ::)

In Reillersland no discussion is allowed on a discussion forum.

Bud Wiser

"Something that happened months ago" is going to have repercussions for years where senior members of Glen Rovers, one of the best GAA clubs in the country are refusing to attend a senior hurling match for three years or until all of the strikers are gone from the team.  In the words of one of them, " if (nameing) walked into this room right now I would drive him to the far side of it with a box"          What happened "months ago" is not over by a long shot, or a short puck out.

Is there any truth in the rumour that if Cork make it to the AIF that they are refusing to play until the name McCarthy is disassociated from the cup?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on July 08, 2009, 09:39:36 AM

You're not discussing anything, you're crying about Donal Og yet again. God forbid you'd move on, or I don't know, instead of bitching and moaning be happy that an excellent player has returned to the IC scene.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 08, 2009, 11:14:04 AM
Quote from: heffo on July 08, 2009, 09:39:36 AM

You're not discussing anything, you're crying about Donal Og yet again. God forbid you'd move on, or I don't know, instead of bitching and moaning be happy that an excellent player has returned to the IC scene.

There's that phrase 'move on' again - is it not fair discuss his return?

Very talented player and will be a huge boost to Cork.

Having said that - please see my earlier post regarding the persistent speculation about Murphy at the time that his hole was sickened about what went on - any comment?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2009, 08:48:23 PM
So what's going on in Offaly? Is it the golf or too much suburban executive style housing? In the days of Pat Carroll and Padraig Horan or even the Pilntons there was no such thing as a traditional Offaly second half fade out. Or is the county just biding its time lulling everyone into a false sense of security? 
I think part of the rot set in around the turn of the decade.
Offaly teams would ease up when they were losing to Kilkenny by a few points in Leinster finals and start eyeing the back door.
It became a bit of a bad habit - like dogs chasing cars, that hasn't fully been shaken.

There other aspects too. Perhaps a lack of staying power and composure too.
Offaly teams tend to go all out in certain big games to get stuck in.
Lots of blood and thunder early on, but usually running out petrol later.
Probably like the Irish rugby team of 15 years ago, where any decent side would just wait for the onslaught to run its course and then dismantle them.
The last few games against Cork and Kilkenny have been almost level at half time and well into double figure deficits by the end.

Offaly's style of hurling means they turn over the ball a lot too. The ball in hand teams have refined their game, so that now when Offaly whip possession away, they don't get it back again so readily.