Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

What was the final score?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

awfulynice

The Final Score was

Cork     3-19
Offaly   1-12

A 13 point win. As usual with Offaly games the scoreline doesnt half tell the story. Offaly were 2 points adrift of Cork at half time and were within a couple of points after about 50 - 55 minutes.  Injuries to Joe Brady & David Franks really affected the Offaly team. David Kenny had another bad game at full back and let Asaike in for two goals because of bad positioning mainly.

I think Reillers will agree, Offaly had Cork really rattled by half time. There was possibly more Cork fans than Offaly fans in the stadium, and having spoken to a few at half time they were extremely worried that an upset was in progress. Im not sure if that upset was ever going to happen, but the capitulation yet again by this Offaly team really flattered a poor Cork side. There were extremely bad misses on both sides, and from the looks of it, Cork will have a lot of improving to get anywhere in this years championship, and Offaly will have a lot of improving for next year. But looking at the age of the two sides Offaly at least have that in their favour.

Bord na Mona man

Offaly gave as good as they had for about 45 minutes, but really weren't in the same class as Cork. That said Cork are a long way off their peak too, judging by the amount of basic errors they made.

Despite our worries Offaly did compete well enough on the half forward line. Brady, Molloy and Mahon managed to challenge well under the high ball and Offaly did make a few good catches.
The Cork full back line didn't look that comfortable. Shorn of the Rock and Brian Murphy, they looked shaky when Offaly managed to get good ball into Shane Dooley especially.
Eoin Cadogan first instinct of defending looks to be to pull and drag his marker, rather than hurl.

Even so, it was clear that Offaly were going full tilt to stay in the game, while Cork were playing reasonably within themselves. Cork's teamwork was much superior. The simple lay offs to get out of trouble and the greater composure on the ball. Offaly players battled hard to the man and most players acquitted themselves individually. There were some great heroic dam plugging deeds by Offaly players, but really the cohesion isn't there. It was a Division 1 team vs. a Division 2 team.

Sadly the traditional Offaly second half fade out arrived again to make the scoreboard look ugly.
Cork reeled off 1-7 without reply - The second goal by Horgan seemed to completely kill the Offaly spirit. Offaly started to look for goals at that stage. In truth they could have kept the points going over to maybe leave their final total at 1-16 or 1-17.

Offaly hurling sides need to cope better with setbacks.
A major bugbear of mine is that in this decade Offaly team seems to completely go out of games and concede a string of easy scores once they fall more than 5 or 6 points behind.
The last couple of time we have played Kilkenny, we have been right with them at half time and yet lose by about 15 or 20 points in the end. By the end it was shooting practice for Cork.

Aisake looks a real handful of a hurler. Certainly not a gifted stickman, his size and awkwardness caused headaches. I'd worry about David Kenny's confidence after conceding goals in consecutive games to big mullocking forwards.

Good enough crowd at the game. Plenty of Cork fans there too. We got in plenty of digs in about Siptu and strikers etc. One Cork man piped back "Arra, shure Offaly have been on strike since 7 o'clock!"  ;D

awfulynice

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 05, 2009, 03:36:39 PM
Offaly gave as good as they had for about 45 minutes, but really weren't in the same class as Cork. That said Cork are a long way off their peak too, judging by the amount of basic errors they made.

Despite our worries Offaly did compete well enough on the half forward line. Brady, Molloy and Mahon managed to challenge well under the high ball and Offaly did make a few good catches.
The Cork full back line didn't look that comfortable. Shorn of the Rock and Brian Murphy, they looked shaky when Offaly managed to get good ball into Shane Dooley especially.
Eoin Cadogan first instinct of defending looks to be to pull and drag his marker, rather than hurl.

Even so, it was clear that Offaly were going full tilt to stay in the game, while Cork were playing reasonably within themselves. Cork's teamwork was much superior. The simple lay offs to get out of trouble and the greater composure on the ball. Offaly players battled hard to the man and most players acquitted themselves individually. There were some great heroic dam plugging deeds by Offaly players, but really the cohesion isn't there. It was a Division 1 team vs. a Division 2 team.

Sadly the traditional Offaly second half fade out arrived again to make the scoreboard look ugly.
Cork reeled off 1-7 without reply - The second goal by Horgan seemed to completely kill the Offaly spirit. Offaly started to look for goals at that stage. In truth they could have kept the points going over to maybe leave their final total at 1-16 or 1-17.

Offaly hurling sides need to cope better with setbacks.
A major bugbear of mine is that in this decade Offaly team seems to completely go out of games and concede a string of easy scores once they fall more than 5 or 6 points behind.
The last couple of time we have played Kilkenny, we have been right with them at half time and yet lose by about 15 or 20 points in the end. By the end it was shooting practice for Cork.

Aisake looks a real handful of a hurler. Certainly not a gifted stickman, his size and awkwardness caused headaches. I'd worry about David Kenny's confidence after conceding goals in consecutive games to big mullocking forwards.

Good enough crowd at the game. Plenty of Cork fans there too. We got in plenty of digs in about Siptu and strikers etc. One Cork man piped back "Arra, shure Offaly have been on strike since 7 o'clock!"  ;D

In fairness I wouldnt agree that Cork were playing within themselves at all. It wasnt a question of Cork upping a gear in the second half, it was a culmination of the injuries offaly suffered, the third goal coming, and the sheer giving up of the offaly team that resulted in a 13 point loss. Offaly even with the injuries etc should have been no more than 5-6 points away in the end and with a bit of luck might have been even closer.

I think the injury to Joe Brady was a big loss, we couldnt compete aswell in the forward line after that. Conor Mahon should never put an offaly shirt on again, he is not the first cousin of a hurler. He must have missed at least 3 - 4 easy points, gave stupid handpasses and dropped the ball into Donal Ogs hands on a couple of occasions. How he wasnt called ashore il never know. Kevin Brady was taken off in what was his best game at midfield, once he was taken off Cork overran us completely in this area. Then the injury to David Franks was another bad loss and weakened the full back line considerably.

We also took off Shane Dooley, who was our top scorer and had done well at full forward getting 1-2 from play.

Reillers

I was at the match.

Cork weren't great in the first half, Offaly played as hard as they could for as long as they could but were outlasted and at the end outclassed by Cork.
Offaly competed well in the first half. Was slightly worried at half time, as we were converting our chances. Just hitting wide after wide after wide. Thankfully we managed to lessen that in the second half.
It was great to see a good crowd from Cork there, seemed to out number Offaly.

To be fair, Offaly weren't good at all in the second half and Cork were able to push on, despite the wides.

Positives? A lot of the young lads stood up.

Aisake, 2 goals, should have got a 3rd but went for the point instead. Didn't really get good delivery and we (as expected) weren't 100% sure how to use him but that finally got going, after Sean Og showed the way.

Ben went off injured,(hamstring) which was worrying, probably was Cork's best forward at the time.
But Pa Horgan came on and had a massive game. I've always been a big fan of his, he's always had great potential, he had a stormer.

Horgans' goal was probably the highlight of the match for me. He just placed it into the corner as cool as you like, beyond the keeper, who had no chance, absolute perfection. (1-5) All this should do him the world of confidence which is always a good thing.

Shane O Neill, as per usual, hurled very well. Was a bit shaky at the start but when he settled he was unforgiving. His touch in the first half left a lot to be desired but he really came into his own in the second half. He was great on the ball, and showed real great pace when on the ball as well.

Eoin Cadogen gave a good steady preformance, and that's another good game under his belt.

Shane Murphy did well, some minor mistakes, but he handled Brian Carroll well.

Graham Callinan worked incredibly hard, had a great game.

Pa Cronin, started strongly, fadded a bit for 15 mins or so, but had a good last 20 mins.when he switched to the wing. This game would have done his confidence the world of good.

Tadhg Og, he'd a great debut. Was imo more effective in the corner than on the wing. He scored a couple of nice points but did make a few bad decisions when it came to looking for shots and execution on a couple of occasions but he'll learn from the game.

Aisake, he gets better and better with every game and little doubt we have found our FF.  
Surprisingly, he struggles a small bit under the high ball, if he could improve on that he'd be unstoppable.
When the ball's played out into space for him he is so dangerous and incredibly lethal. he's wicked pace and power and the ability to turn full backs at ease. He really is improving week in week out.

Hoggie, it was great to see him make such an impression, his goal was great. He was key in winning frees and played a major role when it came to bringing other players into the game with some of his excellent passing.

McGann and O Leary weren't on long enough to make much of an impact which is dissapointing.

The old guard all played well. The twins were combining brilliantly untill Ben went off injured, which looked serious enough.
Jerry had a great game, but some horrific wides. Scored 4, should have gotten about 8.

Twas a good game. Offaly were dire in the second half which left Cork to find the scores that we weren't able to convert in the 1st half, but the scores just came after the 45 minute mark.

There wasn't much rhythm to the game and as far as I could see there was feck all tactics last night. I can't see us winning the next game if we play the way we did last night. You can get away with the poor wides and such against a team like Offaly but if we end of drawing Galway (which is the last thing we want because they'll be out for blood because of last season.)

I think that there'd be little harm in making changes all around the pitch and see what happens.

INDIANA

Offaly gone two steps back this year. Don't know whats happened to them. Expected win for Cork. Cork will make the semis I imagine. If they avoid kilkenny they could make the final.
Hurling needs Offaly to be strong. They should be doing better than that.

cicfada

Reillers, I believe that if Galway win, they definetly play against Cork as Galway have already played against Laois! On another note you must be worried about Ben O'Connor though,  a massive loss if he is out for the next one! What is the story with Gardner? Is he out for a while as well??  Aisake is getting better and better as well, a good find!

orangeman

Aisake looked immense - Pa was outstanding.

Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on July 05, 2009, 11:36:47 PM
Reillers, I believe that if Galway win, they definetly play against Cork as Galway have already played against Laois! On another note you must be worried about Ben O'Connor though,  a massive loss if he is out for the next one! What is the story with Gardner? Is he out for a while as well??  Aisake is getting better and better as well, a good find!

True, especially on the days, and Saturday was one of them, when he combines well with Jerry, in a way that only they can, is lethal, both of them are. But Ben has been our stand out player and leader and has always, always stood up when we needed someone to. But, if Ben hadn't been injured there during the match I doubt Horgan would have come on and then he wouldn't have scored 1-5 and set up so much more play and he wouldn't have got that chance. He'll be (hopefully) a terrifc player in the future, he's got loads of potential.

To be honest, part of me thinks we should just ring the changes. I can't see us winning the All Ireland this year, next season might be best to aim for. We've got a lot of potential in this squad, a lot and Kilkenny don't look that unbeatable these days. And slowly but surely we're fading a few players out. The likes of Tadhg Og, Aisake, Pa Horgan, Pa Cronin, Cadogan, Callanan, Shane Murphy all improving massively with every game. Not to mention Shane O Neill, who you'd think has been in the squad for years because he's such a big players at this stage.
But I was incredibly dissapointed not to see McGann or O Leary given more game time on Saturday.
I just think, maybe it'd be an idea if we made complete changes, just played all our young lads and see what happens. But I know we wont, and I'd like to think we'd get to the final this season. And while that options there we'll still have the likes of Niall McCarthy/Fraggy Murphy/Timmy McCarthy/Gah/Donal Og..etc. Played week in, week out..going for experience over youth and potential. I mean, Donal Og is a massive leader in the dressing room and on the pitch, and he's been our best keeper for the last few years, but we've a bucketload of keepers waiting their turn, all just as good, maybe even better. Donal Og isn't off form, and you do need a spine in a team, and obviously part of that is goals, especially with the young FB line we have. But maybe the likes of Coleman deserve a go at this stage.

The same applies around the field with the likes of Niall McCarthy, it's not like he's really off form or anything, but I'd rather see a young player on the pitch who'll get the experience, and who's just as good, instead of Niall who'll get as many as he'll hit wide. I think either this season (unlikely) or next season, Walsh needs to bite the bullet and make those changes.

Delighted though with some of the kids. Aisake I felt wasn't as good as either of his brothers when he left, but sure when he did he was barely a minor, and you can't judge anyone on that, strangely though, (as laughable as it sounds) he struggles under the high ball for some reason, but any other aspect of the game he's lethal. He turns a FB and he's gone.
The one issue I see coming up in the future if we ever come up against a experienced FB is he's a terrible temper, both him and Santy do, unlike Sean Og, and against Offaly he got into a bit of handbags and I can see a team like Waterford infurriating him. He'll need to watch himself and his temper. But overall I was pretty happy with the young lads. Offaly did fade badly in the second half, so it'll be interesting to see how they'd cope against a better side down the line.

And I think you're right about Galway if they win. Pity for us, Galway will die on the ball wanting to win this game after last seasons beating from Cork.

awfulynice

Quote from: Reillers on July 05, 2009, 08:57:09 PM
I was at the match.

Cork weren't great in the first half, Offaly played as hard as they could for as long as they could but were outlasted and at the end outclassed by Cork.
Offaly competed well in the first half. Was slightly worried at half time, as we were converting our chances. Just hitting wide after wide after wide. Thankfully we managed to lessen that in the second half.

To be fair, Offaly weren't good at all in the second half and Cork were able to push on, despite the wides.

Aisake, 2 goals, should have got a 3rd but went for the point instead. Didn't really get good delivery and we (as expected) weren't 100% sure how to use him but that finally got going, after Sean Og showed the way.

Ben went off injured,(hamstring) which was worrying, probably was Cork's best forward at the time.
But Pa Horgan came on and had a massive game. I've always been a big fan of his, he's always had great potential, he had a stormer.

Horgans' goal was probably the highlight of the match for me. He just placed it into the corner as cool as you like, beyond the keeper, who had no chance, absolute perfection. (1-5) All this should do him the world of confidence which is always a good thing.

Shane O Neill, as per usual, hurled very well. Was a bit shaky at the start but when he settled he was unforgiving. His touch in the first half left a lot to be desired but he really came into his own in the second half. He was great on the ball, and showed real great pace when on the ball as well.

Eoin Cadogen gave a good steady preformance, and that's another good game under his belt.

Pa Cronin, started strongly, fadded a bit for 15 mins or so, but had a good last 20 mins.when he switched to the wing. This game would have done his confidence the world of good.

Tadhg Og, he'd a great debut. Was imo more effective in the corner than on the wing. He scored a couple of nice points but did make a few bad decisions when it came to looking for shots and execution on a couple of occasions but he'll learn from the game.

Aisake, he gets better and better with every game and little doubt we have found our FF.  
Surprisingly, he struggles a small bit under the high ball, if he could improve on that he'd be unstoppable.
When the ball's played out into space for him he is so dangerous and incredibly lethal. he's wicked pace and power and the ability to turn full backs at ease. He really is improving week in week out.

Hoggie, it was great to see him make such an impression, his goal was great. He was key in winning frees and played a major role when it came to bringing other players into the game with some of his excellent passing.

McGann and O Leary weren't on long enough to make much of an impact which is dissapointing.

The old guard all played well. The twins were combining brilliantly untill Ben went off injured, which looked serious enough.
Jerry had a great game, but some horrific wides. Scored 4, should have gotten about 8.

Twas a good game. Offaly were dire in the second half which left Cork to find the scores that we weren't able to convert in the 1st half, but the scores just came after the 45 minute mark.

There wasn't much rhythm to the game and as far as I could see there was feck all tactics last night. I can't see us winning the next game if we play the way we did last night. You can get away with the poor wides and such against a team like Offaly but if we end of drawing Galway (which is the last thing we want because they'll be out for blood because of last season.)

I think that there'd be little harm in making changes all around the pitch and see what happens.

Fairly fair comments there Reillers, but i think you might be trying to cover up some cracks in the Cork team imo. I wouldnt have called Asaike immense, his first goal was because of terrible positioning by Kenny, he let his man goal side, and once Asaike gets possesion he is a hard man to stop.  His second goal he took well enough but again I think Offaly had unfortunately given up at that stage.

On Hogie, again another player that i didnt think was fantastic, his goal was very well taken, but he was marking an injured player (David Franks) at the time, he should have been taken off a few mins earlier but was left on and i think it was a main factor in the goal.

Jerry OConnor had a great game and done a lot of work that resulted in Cork scores.

On Eoin Cadogen, he certainly didnt have a good game, Shane Dooley scored 1-2 from play off him in the first half, and he also gave away a really stupid free in the first half, slowing down to try and obstruct Shane Dooley from going in to challenge Donal Og when there was no danger.

All in all, Cork deserved the win certainly. But I do think that the two injuries were really killer blows to an already small squad. We had Oakley, Rigney, Currams, Parlon & OMeara out before the match started, so to lose another two players really left us scraping the barrel for replacements.

Offaly havent gone backwards as you state Indiana, they were much closer to Cork than the scoreline suggests. The average age is 22 /23 so there is plenty of time, if we could discover 1 or 2 more forwards it would be a massive boost as it is our problem area at the moment. One or two forwards who can take their points would be the difference between a 13 point win for Cork and  a nail biting finish

INDIANA

Well had Dublin been beaten by Wexford and lost to Cork by 13 pts I'd have considered Dublin to be going backwards. Just my opinion. I expected you to push on from last year.

awfulynice

Quote from: INDIANA on July 06, 2009, 12:37:48 AM
Well had Dublin been beaten by Wexford and lost to Cork by 13 pts I'd have considered Dublin to be going backwards. Just my opinion. I expected you to push on from last year.

Well in fairness this could very easily have been dublins year. Its what happened last year except i think Cork beat ye by 20 something points so it would have actually  been progress on paper.

The loss to Wexford was bad in ways but there is so little difference between Offaly / Wexford / Dublin / Clare / Limerick that a win or a loss can be down to an off day by a team.

Offaly being drawn against Cork was probably a nail in the coffin. If we had any luck we would have drawn Antrim or Laois, then on to Round 2 where if we were paired against Limerick / Clare / Wexford id be confident enough of progressing to a quarter final which would have been good progress...but that as they say is the way the cookie crumbles, it wasnt to be.

Reillers

Quote from: awfulynice on July 06, 2009, 12:29:26 AM
Quote from: Reillers on July 05, 2009, 08:57:09 PM
I was at the match.

Fairly fair comments there Reillers, but i think you might be trying to cover up some cracks in the Cork team imo his first goal was because of terrible positioning by Kenny, he let his man goal side, and once Asaike gets possesion he is a hard man to stop.  His second goal he took well enough but again I think Offaly had unfortunately given up at that stage.

On Hogie, again another player that i didnt think was fantastic, his goal was very well taken, but he was marking an injured player (David Franks) at the time, he should have been taken off a few mins earlier but was left on and i think it was a main factor in the goal.

Jerry OConnor had a great game and done a lot of work that resulted in Cork scores.

On Eoin Cadogen, he certainly didnt have a good game, Shane Dooley scored 1-2 from play off him in the first half, and he also gave away a really stupid free in the first half, slowing down to try and obstruct Shane Dooley from going in to challenge Donal Og when there was no danger.

All in all, Cork deserved the win certainly. But I do think that the two injuries were really killer blows to an already small squad. We had Oakley, Rigney, Currams, Parlon & OMeara out before the match started, so to lose another two players really left us scraping the barrel for replacements.

Offaly havent gone backwards as you state Indiana, they were much closer to Cork than the scoreline suggests. The average age is 22 /23 so there is plenty of time, if we could discover 1 or 2 more forwards it would be a massive boost as it is our problem area at the moment. One or two forwards who can take their points would be the difference between a 13 point win for Cork and  a nail biting finish

Covering cracks!??!..Just a little bit. ;D ;D

I wouldnt have called Aisake immense..immense was probably a bit too much, but if you're out of the game as long as he's been and you play like that..I did start to criticise a post or two down from that. Just gave a brief run throught here.  

Meh, he came on as a sub, and played really really well. But I don't think my point came across here. Ben went off..we didn't really miss him. That in itself is a small miracle. We've become much too reliant on him over the years. He also, don't know if you noticed, but if you look back he set up a lot of good play and points which was great to see.

On Jerry..He missed a few sitters all right though. But that will go away with time.

I said he'd a steady game..or something like that. He played ok, tbh for a lad that was thrown in the deep end against Tipp, expected to fill in for The Rock, and came out at the end of the match alive, he did a great job.
Like I said it's another game under his belt and I think you can be as talented as you like in a position like FB but it's experience that gets you ahead. It's one of the most specialised places on the pitch. It's about knowing what calls to make which only can be gotten in time. Not to mention you'll learn a few tricks as well. FB, the old school fb were just there to annoy the soul out of ya. Sully was the greatest wind up merchant you could find. He knew how to rattle a player and such and that at the end of the day could lead to the beating of them. Not like Cadogan had any problem with that against Tipp with Webster. Like I said you can be as skillful as you like at FB but time and experience there is what you really need, and like I said that's another game under the belt for him.

Cork hit, guessing from memory here, but 7 wides in one half and 9 in the other(that could well be wrong, but it was something like that) and played really within themselves, while Offaly seemed to be giving it their all. I don't know if I could say they've gone backwards, but being promoted this year will bring them on a lot. They struggled with fitness and vission of the game when it came down to it. Cork were comfortable playing within themselves while Offaly looked a bit lost after the 1st half and seemed to give up in the second half.
They've come on, but not in the way Dublin has I suppose is a way you could put it. But they've done well Offaly, they did well last season and I hope to see them improving again come next season. Some great games back in the day against Offaly, 99 being the stand out..seems like such a long time ago, 9 years? Where has all the time gone.

AZOffaly

Hmmm. Plus ca change I'm afraid. I was struck by the similarity between that game and the one against Kilkenny in 2006 or 2007, when we were drawing at half time, only to lose by 13 or 14 afterwards. This Offaly team, possibly due to a lack of success and/or experience have a real problem hanging in there when good teams get a run on them. This game looks like a comfortable win for Cork, and in truth for the last 20 or so, it was. But a deeper look shows a game that Offaly were at least in with a chance of a shock for 45-50 minutes. I never really thought we'd win it, but the last 20 were very disappointing in that they were so familiar to us.

The score was 1-10 to 1-08 to Cork at half time, and Conor Mahon scored the first point of the second half to leave but a point in the game. Then Pat Horgan got a real sniper's goal, bottom corner stuff, to put 4 points between the teams. However Joe Bergin tapped over a nice score and the margin was down to 3. Cork tapped over a point or two, and then game the moment that I think killed off Offaly. Derek Molloy won another ball (which the big half forward line did all day in fairness apart from a 10 minute spell midway through the second half) and bore down on goal. He drew Cadogan expertly, but then made a complete hames of his handpass which would have set Shane Dooley in on goal from 20 metres out, with  a free run. Instead he passed it behind him, Dooley was forced wide, and the chance was gone. And goodnight Irene. Cork got another goal from Aisake, and that was it.

For Offaly, I do think there are things to build on, but there are obvious flaws. David Kenny is a raw but promising full back, but his rawness needs to be coached out of him. As Awfuly mentioned, he was caught completely wrong side for Aisake's opening goal, and that happened him twice against Wexford as well. He is mad keen to win ball in front, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valour, and unless you are going to win the ball, you are better off making sure your positioning is spot on, forcing the man away from goal as you try to block or hook. A full back getting caught wrong side is a goal.

Midfield/Forwards. Our half forward line competed exceptionally well for long periods, and that was good to see. Consistantly losing ball in the air is the biggest issue we had at half forward, and to do well in that facet against the Cork half back line was good to see. Joe Brady's injury actually was a huge loss to Offaly, despite the limited hurling he has. His size and effort were really causing Cork problems. However, our cuteness is really poor up front. Apart from one spell in the first half when we moved the ball quickly into space, and really had the Cork full back line in trouble, it was very predictable and ponderous. Our execution wasn't great and our movement and delivery was off the standard needed.

Division 1 should help in that regard next year, and hopefully the likes of Oakley, Murphy, Hanniffy, Franks keep going, to help lads like David Kenny, Verney, Rigney, Bergin, Dooley, Coughlan etc continue to develop.

For Cork, they are dangerous in this championship, make no mistake. I think Cadogan will be found out at some stage though, especially by a mobile full forward. He's far too keen to foul. Their half forward line again wasn't great, and I cannot see how Naughton is not starting. Timmy McCarthy is a worker, and got one great score, but he is not a scoring forward, and we were delighted to seem him shooting. PAt Horgan did well when he came on, but when Franks went off eventually after trying to carry an injury, he quitened a bit. Aisake is, despite his size, actually much more comfortable with low ball, and he's a real handful when he gets facing the goal. Fraggy Murphy is not at the races, and Ben's injury could be dodgy for Cork if he has a hamstring.

I'd certainly be starting Naughton, maybe instead of McCarthy, and Horgan instead of Murphy. That would be a very dangerous Cork forward line then. Fair play to the Cork fans who travellled, I hope they enjoyed the venue.

Reillers

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 06, 2009, 10:21:39 AM
Hmmm. Plus ca change I'm afraid. I was struck by the similarity between that game and the one against Kilkenny in 2006 or 2007, when we were drawing at half time, only to lose by 13 or 14 afterwards. This Offaly team, possibly due to a lack of success and/or experience have a real problem hanging in there when good teams get a run on them. This game looks like a comfortable win for Cork, and in truth for the last 20 or so, it was. But a deeper look shows a game that Offaly were at least in with a chance of a shock for 45-50 minutes. I never really thought we'd win it, but the last 20 were very disappointing in that they were so familiar to us.

The score was 1-10 to 1-08 to Cork at half time, and Conor Mahon scored the first point of the second half to leave but a point in the game. Then Pat Horgan got a real sniper's goal, bottom corner stuff, to put 4 points between the teams. However Joe Bergin tapped over a nice score and the margin was down to 3. Cork tapped over a point or two, and then game the moment that I think killed off Offaly. Derek Molloy won another ball (which the big half forward line did all day in fairness apart from a 10 minute spell midway through the second half) and bore down on goal. He drew Cadogan expertly, but then made a complete hames of his handpass which would have set Shane Dooley in on goal from 20 metres out, with  a free run. Instead he passed it behind him, Dooley was forced wide, and the chance was gone. And goodnight Irene. Cork got another goal from Aisake, and that was it.

For Offaly, I do think there are things to build on, but there are obvious flaws. David Kenny is a raw but promising full back, but his rawness needs to be coached out of him. As Awfuly mentioned, he was caught completely wrong side for Aisake's opening goal, and that happened him twice against Wexford as well. He is mad keen to win ball in front, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valour, and unless you are going to win the ball, you are better off making sure your positioning is spot on, forcing the man away from goal as you try to block or hook. A full back getting caught wrong side is a goal.

Midfield/Forwards. Our half forward line competed exceptionally well for long periods, and that was good to see. Consistantly losing ball in the air is the biggest issue we had at half forward, and to do well in that facet against the Cork half back line was good to see. Joe Brady's injury actually was a huge loss to Offaly, despite the limited hurling he has. His size and effort were really causing Cork problems. However, our cuteness is really poor up front. Apart from one spell in the first half when we moved the ball quickly into space, and really had the Cork full back line in trouble, it was very predictable and ponderous. Our execution wasn't great and our movement and delivery was off the standard needed.

Division 1 should help in that regard next year, and hopefully the likes of Oakley, Murphy, Hanniffy, Franks keep going, to help lads like David Kenny, Verney, Rigney, Bergin, Dooley, Coughlan etc continue to develop.

For Cork, they are dangerous in this championship, make no mistake. I think Cadogan will be found out at some stage though, especially by a mobile full forward. He's far too keen to foul. Their half forward line again wasn't great, and I cannot see how Naughton is not starting. Timmy McCarthy is a worker, and got one great score, but he is not a scoring forward, and we were delighted to seem him shooting. PAt Horgan did well when he came on, but when Franks went off eventually after trying to carry an injury, he quitened a bit. Aisake is, despite his size, actually much more comfortable with low ball, and he's a real handful when he gets facing the goal. Fraggy Murphy is not at the races, and Ben's injury could be dodgy for Cork if he has a hamstring.

I'd certainly be starting Naughton, maybe instead of McCarthy, and Horgan instead of Murphy. That would be a very dangerous Cork forward line then. Fair play to the Cork fans who travellled, I hope they enjoyed the venue.

I'd agree with most of that.
I think it's a bit soon to say Cadogan will be found out later on in the championship. He's a good lad, who has the massive task of trying to fill the boots of one of the greats of the game, and he was thrown in in the deep end against Tipp and came out the other side better for it. If he survived that, I can't see how anyone else would cause him much more problems (besides KK obviously.)

But em, I think the injuries killed ye, I was a bit worried at half time, I knew we were playing in ourselves, but for feck sake those wides we were hitting..they were unaccpetable. Offaly challenged really well for 45 minutes of the game but faded badly. The goals, one or two may have been a small bit fortunate with timing and such, probably was the final nail in the coffin. But there were some good signs for Offaly. Ye caused our HB line some serious problems in the first half and that's not an easy thing to do.
And I think having been promoted will do ye the world of good and will bring ye on another few steps, because looking at ye playing. Ye didn't have the vision or at times the touch that you'd find in the top level. But that will come with time playing against those teams. And it'll help the young players come on a lot, some of which are talented but a small bit raw.

And on the venue, it was surprising that there seemed to be more Cork supporters there then there was Offaly. But (and take not CCB) we watched the game in COMFORT and room. A nice stadium. Unlike our excuse of a ground that is falling apart and yet, surprise surprise, the CCB couldn't care less.