Cork V Offaly

Started by Reillers, July 02, 2009, 03:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

The Cork teams been named for the Offaly match, and genuinely it's, I don't know. I mean this team is baffling. I mean that team could loose to Offaly.

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Offaly in Saturdays All-Ireland Qualifier is listed below

1. Donal Óg Cusack (Cloyne)

2. Shane O'Neill (Bishopstown)

3. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)

4. Shane Murphy (Erin's Own)

5. John Gardiner (Na Piarsaigh)

6. Ronan Curran (St. Finbarr's)

7. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)

8. Tom Kenny (Grenagh)

9. Tadhg Og Murphy (Sars)

10. Jerry O'Connor (Newtownshandrum)

11. Pa Cronin (Bishopstown)

12. Timmy McCarthy (Castlelyons)....continues to defy logic.

13. Ben O'Connor (Newtownshandrum)

14. Aisake Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)

15. Kieran Murphy (Erin's Own)...apparently that's Sars Murphy, not Hero.

No Horgan? No Naughton?..etc

Now obviously Walsh and co know a hell of a lot more then we do, and there is the fact that one has to put some marginal selections down to the fact the management are the ones working with the players and have their own ideas, but this line up is so flawed. I mean it is an incredibly strange selection and from what we've seen, it's flawed on a number of fronts. It actually leaves you wondering whether he's completely lost the plot.

Slight few little problems with this team..

The half forward line. God only knows where we're supposed to win the ball from. None of them are effective when forced to play with their backs to goals.
Cronin is the only target, who can be when pursued dispossessed easily second time round. I mean how can we expect to win puckouts with that team? And how are we supposed to win the game without winning puckouts.

There's not a lot of hurling aggression in a certain few positions.

I can't explain why Horgan isn't playing, he's our best scoring forward along with Ben, he's hopefully out futurefree taker and penalty taker. Why not leave him take a free or two more so he can get used to the pressure.

And then you've got Gardiner at no 5...again? FFS.

A serious step backwards imo and it gives Offaly a serious chance of winning this match. If the right team was selected that wouldn't really be a question, but this? Unless there have been some serious changes of form and such in training I can't explain this selection.  

Oh on another note, good to see Tadgh Og given a go, he deserves his chance, I just hope he isn't too lightweight.
Also, bar going to Tullamore, which I hope to be but I might have to cover at work, there is no way of seeing this bar going there, which . Its not on TV, not on the RTE website. Absolute bollocks. And it's at fuckin 7.00 all the way up in Offaly. What a great night for Cork hurling this could be.  ::) ::)
This could be potentially one of the most embarasing nights (no offense to Offaly) that Cork hurling has had in a long time.

Hopefully though the management have seen a lot in training that we haven't seen on the pitch and know what they're doing.
Some have been going very well with their clubs and such but when it comes to IC, they could flop.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 02, 2009, 03:19:51 PM

This could be potentially one of the most embarasing nights (no offense to Offaly) that Cork hurling has had in a long time.

That's real wall of the dressing room stuff for Ofally there Reillers!

orangeman

Cork to win handy - Walsh to walk round in sack cloth and ashes if they get bet.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on July 02, 2009, 03:34:20 PM

As per usual only you (and a few of your type) could pick that from all the post. Wanting to whinge and stirr shite instead of talking GAA. Nothing much changes I suppose.
If Tipp/Cork/Galway/KK..etc lost to Offaly, are you telling me it wouldn't be embarasing for them? Stop trying to stir shite, it would be incredibly embarasing if we or the other top teams lost to them, and you, well you should, know it.

The GAA

Can't see them raining puck outs down on that half forward line so there may be another plan afoot.
still plenty of scores in that full forward line

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 02, 2009, 03:40:09 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 02, 2009, 03:34:20 PM

As per usual only you (and a few of your type) could pick that from all the post. Wanting to whinge and stirr shite instead of talking GAA. Nothing much changes I suppose.
If Tipp/Cork/Galway/KK..etc lost to Offaly, are you telling me it wouldn't be embarasing for them? Stop trying to stir shite, it would be incredibly embarasing if we or the other top teams lost to them, and you, well you should, know it.

That's a bit harsh Reillers :(

I thought it was a pretty patronising comment and was 'talking GAA'..

I thought you'd be delighted two of your club colleagues are starting??

johnneycool

standard fare from Cork, numbers 1 to 8 and i'd say Ben is in there to sniff around the square when they rain high ball in on Aiske so the plan may be to get the puck outs to midfield and launch again from there to the edge of the square. I'd not be surprised to see John Gardiner line out for the throw in irrespective of the number on his back with Kenny going the other way.

As for Offaly, I don't think they've kicked on from last year when i thought their style of play was quite impressive against both Limerick and Waterford and it's hard to see exactly where they'll get enough scores from to beat Cork. Kenny is normally fairly sound around the square but did have a so so day versus Wexford and needs to keep Aiske from getting to the ball and laying off, something he is well capable of. If Cork don't score a goal or two and Offaly do then we could be seeing that book on the shelves come monday with the hooped no1 jersey retired, the odds are against that happening but it is a very real possibility.

AZOffaly

I think it was a very patronising comment. I wasn't aware it would be embarassing to lose to Offaly. Was it embarassing in 2000? I'd love to see it, but Cork are obviously big favourites. However, I don't think it would be embarassing for Cork to lose to us. Were Limerick embarassed to lose? Were Wexford embarassed to lose to us in the Div 2 final? Or is it only embarassing if you lose to counties that aren't Kilkenny, Tipp or Galway?

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 02, 2009, 04:04:13 PM
I think it was a very patronising comment. I wasn't aware it would be embarassing to lose to Offaly. Was it embarassing in 2000? I'd love to see it, but Cork are obviously big favourites. However, I don't think it would be embarassing for Cork to lose to us. Were Limerick embarassed to lose? Were Wexford embarassed to lose to us in the Div 2 final? Or is it only embarassing if you lose to counties that aren't Kilkenny, Tipp or Galway?

Now you know the real Cork attitude - pure arrogance I'd say.

The bookies have Cork as red hot favourites - 1/5. And as Tommy Lyons says, there's not many poor bookies.

theskull1

"As per usual only you (and a few of your type) could pick that from all the post. Wanting to whinge and stirr shite instead of talking GAA. Nothing much changes I suppose."

You started the thread whinging and stirring shite about the team selection and questioning whether the manager had lost the plot.  ::)

At least you're consistent Reillers

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Are you honestly telling me that you can't see how it'd be embarasing if we lost to ye, or if a team like Galway/Tipp/Waterford did? Maybe embarasing isn't the right word, but the teams I've mentioned would be looking to go on in the competition and get to the final and such, and would need to beat the likes of Offaly to do so. I mean do you really think you're on the same level as the teams I've just mentioned?

The likes of Wexford wouldn't be embarased and 2000 was a very long time ago. Teams have moved up and down on the scale.

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on July 02, 2009, 04:07:58 PM
"As per usual only you (and a few of your type) could pick that from all the post. Wanting to whinge and stirr shite instead of talking GAA. Nothing much changes I suppose."

You started the thread whinging and stirring shite about the team selection and questioning whether the manager had lost the plot.  ::)

Saying I think it's a very strange selection is one thing, stirring crap like Heffo has, and everyone now whining about what I said instead of talking about hurling is another, but as per usual he couldn't resist. Like you and a few others. Nothing but predictable though.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 02, 2009, 04:17:14 PM

Are you honestly telling me that you can't see how it'd be embarasing if we lost to ye, or if a team like Galway/Tipp/Waterford did? You think you're on the same level as the teams I've just mentioned?

The likes of Wexford wouldn't be embarased and 2000 was a very long time ago. Teams have moved up and down on the scale.

For you (or anyone) for that matter to explicitly state that losing to Offaly ( a county incidentally who was the most successful at all levels in football and hurling over period 1980-2005) would be embarassing is highly patronising - Cork are no longer the team they were from 2003-2006  - Cork are favourites by a good distance-  but to be so dismissive of a county with a very small pick of senior clubs (unlike the 200+ clubs in Cork) is patronising and disrespectful

I stand over my original assertion that your comments would be 'wall of the dressing room' stuff for Offaly..

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 02, 2009, 04:18:56 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on July 02, 2009, 04:07:58 PM

everyone now whining about what I said instead of talking about hurling is another,

We are talking about hurling - we're talking about an arrogant attitude dismissing a group of players who've trained all year to compete - as far I can see you're the only one 'whining' - the rest of us are discussing the match..

AZOffaly

Reillers, maybe you have it in a nutshell. I think 'embarassing' was the wrong word. You are saying you shouldn't be losing to Offaly because on paper you are a better team. I don't have an issue with that.

But to lose to a team like Offaly would be an upset, not an embarassment. An embarassment was what Kilkenny did to you in the league.