Ulster Football - The New Order

Started by Maguire01, June 28, 2009, 12:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

After Anrtim's result yesterday, and the generally surprising run of results on that side of the draw, I was wondering just where Antrim, and all of the the teams, now rank in the province.

My own assessment, at this stage, would be:

Tyrone - a few points ahead of the next batch.
Monaghan / Derry / Armagh - all capable of beating each other, but none really capable of beating Tyrone.
Antrim - massive improvement and will now be boosted with some belief. Whatever happens, they're in the last 12. Also have the benefit of youth - if performance to date is built on, could have a few good years.
Fermanagh - inconsistent and lack of power up front. Cavan beat them, but they wouldn't have fallen to Antrim to the extent that Cavan did.
Donegal - nothing special. Difficult to see them pulling it together for the qualifiers, although they have an easy first round to get themselves together.
Down - beaten by Fermanagh, who fell to Cavan, who subsequently fell to Antrim...
Cavan - might have beaten Fermanagh narrowly, although Fermanagh missed a few chances at the end that could have made the difference. Yesterday's performance was abysmal - totally lacking in direction.

JMohan

Wo! this will be a good thread!

Can't see Derry or Monaghan in the 2nd rung

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

cavan4ever

imtommygunn

I'd say armagh would be above monaghan and derry as well. Though maybe next weekend will prove me wrong...

There's far more football in antrim than monaghan too though that's not how monaghan win matches.

Fermanagh are still good. I'd say that game, no harm to cavan, was a blip. O'Rourke will maybe now be more intent on going for the jugular in those kind of matches.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on June 28, 2009, 12:49:26 PM
Wo! this will be a good thread!

Can't see Derry or Monaghan in the 2nd rung
On what basis would Armagh be ahead of Derry or Monaghan?
Armagh came into the championship on the back of an average league campaign (where they were beaten by Monaghan). Monaghan and Derry reached their respective league finals.

As for the Championship game, Armagh were 9 points down against Tyrone in the second half - you could argue that Tyrone took their foot off the gas and Armagh fought their way back in. I still wouldn't say they're much more capable of beating Tyrone than Monaghan or Derry (last week's disastrous performance by Derry aside), if all sides had their full team available to pick from.

imtommygunn

On the basis that they're ulster champions.

JMohan

League results are the refuge of desperation    ;D  ;D   ;D

We all acknowledge Championship is all that matters!

BallyhaiseMan

1.Tyrone-miles ahead of everyone else.
2. Derry
3.Monaghan
4.Armagh
5.Antrim
6.Donegal
7.Fermanagh
8.Cavan
9.Down.

JMohan

You have to put Antrim higher - they've produced it on Championship sundays - that's all that matters boys

Caid

As much as it pains me

1. Tyrone
2. The rest

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Maguire01

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 28, 2009, 02:15:28 PM
On the basis that they're ulster champions.
Armagh are last year's Ulster Champions after beating Down and Fermanagh.

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on June 28, 2009, 02:25:29 PM
League results are the refuge of desperation    ;D  ;D   ;D

We all acknowledge Championship is all that matters!
So what, we base everything on 1 game?

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on June 28, 2009, 02:58:17 PM
You have to put Antrim higher - they've produced it on Championship sundays - that's all that matters boys
Actually they've on produced it on one Sunday. Yesterday was Saturday.  :P Prior to these two matches, when was the last time they've produced it on a Championship Sunday (or Saturday)?

Anyway, they've produced the goods against a fading Donegal side and a brutal Cavan effort. I'm not trying to undermine Antrim's achievements - they've come on in leaps and bounds... but let's have a bit of perspective.