Martin Carney should commentate?

Started by Denn Forever, June 07, 2009, 08:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Do we need co commentators?

I seems that all they do is tell you what you have just seen.  Are there any good co commentators?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 07, 2009, 08:50:20 PM
Do we need co commentators?

I seems that all they do is tell you what you have just seen.  Are there any good co commentators?

They are vital. Imagine Ger Canning or Marty Muppetry let out on their own!  ::) 
MWWSI 2017

paddypastit

The good ones can tell you why something just hgappened and what the effect of it will be. The bad ones just repeat the what has been said by the commentator.  Today I was in Croke Pk and turned on headphones to hear that if I wanted commetray, I had to get it from Brian Carty, who I believe is an insulkt to taxpayers and even worse thyat complete and utter sweeth**e muppet Luke Dempsey who actually has no clue.  I did a bit of channel surfing towards NewsTalk and found that Country Mix had a live commentary.  NOw DEclan Drake is a no GAA man but he was so much easier to listen too - actually commentated on the match rather than pontificating to us with opinion but not information. He had Barney Rock in the co-commentator seat and he is one that can actually add insight. That's where I will be listening in future if it isn't MO'M on RTE
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

muppet

In fairness to Carney he was telling us that Davoren was in distress while we were being shown a replay with the main commentator looking for non-existent handbags.
MWWSI 2017

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: paddypastit on June 07, 2009, 09:41:58 PM
The good ones can tell you why something just hgappened and what the effect of it will be. The bad ones just repeat the what has been said by the commentator.  Today I was in Croke Pk and turned on headphones to hear that if I wanted commetray, I had to get it from Brian Carty, who I believe is an insulkt to taxpayers and even worse thyat complete and utter sweeth**e muppet Luke Dempsey who actually has no clue.  I did a bit of channel surfing towards NewsTalk and found that Country Mix had a live commentary.  NOw DEclan Drake is a no GAA man but he was so much easier to listen too - actually commentated on the match rather than pontificating to us with opinion but not information. He had Barney Rock in the co-commentator seat and he is one that can actually add insight. That's where I will be listening in future if it isn't MO'M on RTE

Barney used to be on the old CKR station's coverage of Kildare's championship matches back in the late '90s and early '00s. I always thought he was an excellent pundit - insightful and balanced. I'd love to hear him covering matches for RTÉ Radio because I nearly always mute the telly commentary and stick on the radio for the football and hurling championship matches (Sky+ takes care of the time delay  ;D). He's still going well with Celbridge though so I'd say there's little chance of it.

Mícheal is the saving grace of RTÉ's radio coverage at the moment. Carthy would drive you nuts listening to him and the memory man is no longer anchoring things from the studio.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

paddypastit

I'm really serious about Carty.  We pay his salary and he is simply a disgrace... Somebody somewhere has to take responsibility
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

aroundincircles

Quote from: paddypastit on June 07, 2009, 10:08:39 PM
I'm really serious about Carty.  We pay his salary and he is simply a disgrace... Somebody somewhere has to take responsibility

Carty gets on my wick too plus he never says what the score is annoying wee excuse for a man.

Canalman

Daragh Moloney is by far the best.... Canning the worst.I feel like putting my foot through the telly when Canning rerfers to a throw in as a "throw ball". Like McStay also as a cocommentator.

cornafean

Quote from: aroundincircles on June 07, 2009, 10:45:24 PM
Carty ...never says what the score is.

He used to do the opposite, repeating the score every 1 or 2 minutes whenever there was a break in play. Then the Sunday Indo's Tommy Conlon attacked him in very caustic terms for doing this and saying that Carty must think the listeners must all suffer from Alzheimer's  ::) Carty obviously took this to heart as he rarely gives us score updates nowadays.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Main Street

I would much prefer crowd noise with no tv commentary. Not only do the tv commentators bombard you with drivel but the crowd noise is dampened so you can hear them.

Though i could to Micheal on the radio no problem while watching  MSF on TV. For the first time the commentary was almost in sync with the TV broadcast.

orangeman

The problem with Carth is that you've just listened to Michael O'Muircheartaigh who is very good and along comes Brian who is Michael's understudy.

kevmy

Ger Canning really irks me.

How can a man who has commentated on so many games seem to have so little knowledge about the game?

That might be forgiveable though if he didn't constantly make mistakes as regards who the players are, team names mixed up, obvious facts incorrect etc. Now everyone makes mistakes now and then but the level and sheer number of them he makes is crazy.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on June 08, 2009, 10:13:26 AM
I would much prefer crowd noise with no tv commentary. Not only do the tv commentators bombard you with drivel but the crowd noise is dampened so you can hear them.

Though i could to Micheal on the radio no problem while watching  MSF on TV. For the first time the commentary was almost in sync with the TV broadcast.
apart from maybe Micheal O'M I'd agree with that Ms.
It annoys me when the commentators get names wrong (are they professional or what?), call it wrong regarding why a free was given etc etc
the co commentators are as bad, that chap martin carney was a half decent footballer but a rubbish commentator

balladmaker

Martin McHugh gave the worst performance of a co-commentator that I have ever heard, during yesterday's Kerry v Cork game.  He continually interrupted Ireland's greatest commentator, Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh, and talked over him throughout the game!  I think even Micheál was getting pissed off at one stage.

Hollow Man

QuoteCarty gets on my wick too plus he never says what the score is annoying wee excuse for a man.

Funny that because he speaks very highly of you.