Antrim lives up to its name as a sectarian cesspit

Started by Doogie Browser, April 29, 2009, 12:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: The Iceman on April 30, 2009, 06:50:55 PM
I've sat a few times on Tates avenue in the car in a traffic jam - with the GAA top in full view and the old knuckles were always a little whiter on the steering wheel.
There is no smoke without fire boys and the Lisburn Road always left me a little uneasy.  In saying that - I was a student 97-2002 and things may have changed dramatically since then.

Quote from: The Iceman
I got into a fight in Jordanstown halls in 1998 with a guy from Rathcoole who was in hooding/ransacking kitchens- ran into him and a bunch of his friends about two weeks later at Woodys off license and was lucky to get away with my life
sounds like university and belfast has changed a bit for the better
Two posts within 10 minutes of each other on the same page.
Point of reference you didn't need to wear a GAA top in Jordanstown to be targeted as a Catholic - the Halls and the campus residents were easily 90% catholic
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

nifan

I was a student 97-2002 and things may have changed dramatically since then.

I was a student from 97 as well.
Lived on the lisburn road (top of tates and bottom of melrose street) with catholics and never had a bother.

The misses used to live onthe lisburn road also and never had trouble.

Puckoon

We had to move a friend out of the lower lisburn road against threats in 2001.

The area right behind the city hospital, cant for the life of me remember the name.

brokencrossbar1

I was never off the Lisburn Road 1997 to 2000, never had any issue with anyone.  This was when Hunters was the Ashley and you definitely would not venture in, but I did drink the odd time in the 4 in Hand and never had any hassle despite the rumours about the place.

Ari

Quote from: Puckoon on April 30, 2009, 10:00:39 PM

The area right behind the city hospital, cant for the life of me remember the name.

Dunluce.

nifan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 30, 2009, 10:10:44 PM
but I did drink the odd time in the 4 in Hand and never had any hassle despite the rumours about the place.

the only thing i remember about the 4 in hand was the ould boys watching the racing there every day. Dont recall ever being in it at night til it became ryans

Tony Baloney

It used to do a pretty good quiz but it was tough going. Especially after a feed of Caffrey's!

Is that stuff still for sale?

the green man

Tony Baloney

So I think we can safely conclude that the Lisburn Road is/is not safe for people wearing gaa gear.

delboy

In behind the city hospital is no longer the lisburn road, in behind the city hospital is the donegal road aka 'the village', a different kettle of fish from the lisburn road.

The Watcher Pat

Mark Allen from Antrim can start packing his bags...

John Higgins is giving him a right royal walloping!!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Chrisowc on May 01, 2009, 02:25:20 PM
The snooker's over, why don't you go home?

It's all but over alright!
Think the nerves have got to that young lad.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Ari

Quote from: delboy on May 01, 2009, 12:21:37 PM

In behind the city hospital is no longer the lisburn road, in behind the city hospital is the donegal road aka 'the village', a different kettle of fish from the lisburn road.

Yes, I will admit I wouldn't dander about the Village in GAA gear.

fred the red

Quote from: nifan on April 30, 2009, 09:57:32 PM
I was a student 97-2002 and things may have changed dramatically since then.

I was a student from 97 as well.
Lived on the lisburn road (top of tates and bottom of melrose street) with catholics and never had a bother.

The misses used to live onthe lisburn road also and never had trouble.

are you the jim mc guiness of ni??

what year did u finish uni?