MW

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 30, 2009, 02:25:06 PM
Quote from: Ari on April 30, 2009, 02:19:34 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 30, 2009, 02:12:39 PM
Quote from: Ari on April 30, 2009, 12:46:22 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 30, 2009, 10:31:24 AM
Quote from: MW on April 29, 2009, 10:49:48 PM
Feck me people really need to wise up :-\
PS...over on Slugger it states Watson has said "Since the story broke today I have been in touch with the GAA club in question and stressed that I was not involved in the complaint." Some talk of the councillor concerned being from the PUP.

This coming from the idiots who organised boycotts of shops in Belfast and Aldergrove airport for not supplying six county soccer regalia! Idiots who want to boycott pubs in Belfast because they won't allow six county soccer fans to wear their soccer tops into the establishments. MW who really needs to wise up?  ::)

To be fair, imagine not being allowed to wear your GAA shirts into bars in Belfast.

Imagine not being allowed to wear ROI shirts into bars in Dublin.

And I'm talking about bars that show football, and I'm talking about while the football is on.

The comment was directed at MW, but as you seem to have picked up the mantle - the boycotting of Bars is just one incidence of petty mindedness that occurs constantly over on OWC, so I feel slightly agreived when MW ventures over here and tells us to wise up!
As for your point about GAA tops in Bars in Belshaft city centre, you'll find that most sports clothing is off limits in most pubs in the town, also GAA tops don't have the same baggage as six county soccer tops.
Finally why would they disallow Ireland soccer jerseys in Dublin pubs, sure haven't the Ireland fans shown time and time again that they can behave themselves.

Just like our fans then. I don't want to get into a petty debate, I ain't into the whole boycotting of bars thing, but it is disappointing when bars in Belfast (sports bars, where football tops are allowed while football is on) won't let people in with NI tops (or ROI tops for that matter sometimes) when fans from both sides continually show they can behave themselves.

And before you undoubtedly drag up our recent game with Poland, the trouble was organised and caused by Polish fans. It was very unfortunate that some of our fans felt the need to react.

Wasn't thinking of Poland, was thinking more of Slovakia  :P, anyway there is no comparison between GAA tops and soccer tops.
Meanwhile my point stands - "The comment was directed at MW, but as you seem to have picked up the mantle - the boycotting of Bars is just one incidence of petty mindedness that occurs constantly over on OWC, so I feel slightly agreived when MW ventures over here and tells us to wise up!"

Oh Cleary on a bike...*sighs*

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Roger on May 01, 2009, 11:24:03 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 01, 2009, 11:06:58 PM
Quote from: Roger on May 01, 2009, 10:08:37 PM
I've heard loads of people admit at the very least that the GAA is "more than a sport".  If GAA was 'just sport' then I can't see anyone having any problems.

GAA is a way of life. 'To those who understand no explaination is necessary...' etc. reading your messages the last few days I very much doubt that you understand.
And people wonder why people don't like it or are opposed to it  ::)

Not sure what that reply means but I know why people are opposed to GAA - they associate it with taigs. It weren't GAA when the bags of urine were thrown at the kids at Holy Cross or people were taken up the Shankill to carve them up or kick them to death in Ballymena... to people of that mindset GAA equal taig equal hate.      

Roger

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 01, 2009, 11:34:34 PM
I've heard loads of people admit at the very least that the GAA is "more than a sport".  If GAA was 'just sport' then I can't see anyone having any problems.

GAA is a way of life. 'To those who understand no explaination is necessary...' etc. reading your messages the last few days I very much doubt that you understand.

Not sure what that reply means but I know why people are opposed to GAA - they associate it with taigs. It weren't GAA when the bags of urine were thrown at the kids at Holy Cross or people were taken up the Shankill to carve them up or kick them to death in Ballymena... to people of that mindset GAA equal taig equal hate.      

Well you've probably got the measure of your own understanding anyway.

longrunsthefox

Looking through pages and pages of your previous posts there is no doubt what your agenda is...religion/politics... even in the sport detates it is all you go on about. You have some bagage going on there Roger. Live up to your name and go and meet a nice girl, or boy if that's your thing, or go to a good movie (not about the Troubles!) and let go the religion-politics obsession for a while... believe it or not there is more to life.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2009, 10:20:59 PM

What, pray tell, is the GAA to these children, out packing bags to raise a few quid?
HS, you and I may have 'history'.  I have to say though, you are 100% on the money here.

Roger's response says more about him than anything else, that seems to be a regular occurence on his behalf, incidentally.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Roger

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on May 02, 2009, 12:41:01 AM
Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2009, 10:20:59 PM

What, pray tell, is the GAA to these children, out packing bags to raise a few quid?
HS, you and I may have 'history'.  I have to say though, you are 100% on the money here.

Roger's response says more about him than anything else, that seems to be a regular occurence on his behalf, incidentally.
WTF are you on about?  My position has been clear.  I would not support this protest.  I have also been clear that leaving Politics out of sport should be the position of any organisation that wants to be considered just a sport. 

It is my view that it is not possible to claim that because families, kids, communities are involved that there is nothing wrong with the organisation if it wants to be considered simply a sport.  You can't ignore criticism and howl "bigot" at anyone who does and lump entire sections of society not in the organisation as such.  These kids were put in a bad position not becuase of them, their thoughts, or their actions.  It is terrible that this has happened but there are faults on all sides but primarily the morons that protested in the first instance. I wouldn't have protested or made the children at Tesco feel uncomfortable in any way, but that doesn't mean the GAA is beyond criticism or that everyone else is sectarian scum. 

Roger

Quote from: hardstation on May 02, 2009, 01:15:24 AM
I'd say that anyone who protested about children packing bags are sectarian scum, who really need to have a look at their sad lives.
For once Hardstation, I agree with you.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 01, 2009, 11:34:34 PM

Is there an award for 'Shite Post of the Month' on this board? I'd really like to put you up for it.

longrunsthefox

Miley-you need to do better than that, like why is it a 'Shite Post.' It is suposed to be a Discussion Board. Easy to say someone made a shite post if you don't agree with it. In fact I think yours is shitier.. so there  :D   

EC Unique

Although the wording of Fox's post is strong the gist of it is 100% correct. To this scum it is quite basic: Catholic/Taig = Bad. Try to upset/ruin anything Catholic/Taig = good.  They are low life and the history or aims of the GAA are f**k all to do with it. The GAA is predominately a Catholic organisation and no matter what we do this scum will try to disrupt anything to do with it.

longrunsthefox

The examples I gave may be shocking and graphic but is the ultimate expression of the type of sectarianism in Tescos with the kids. I believe it is a hatred of taigs and they see GAA as taigs... would have been same hostility if they had been wearing uniforms of a Catholic school.

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: Ari on April 30, 2009, 05:08:03 PM
Quote from: stibhan on April 30, 2009, 03:47:30 PM
Quote from: Roger on April 30, 2009, 02:26:29 PM
As for your point about GAA tops in Bars in Belshaft city centre, you'll find that most sports clothing is off limits in most pubs in the town, also GAA tops don't have the same baggage as six county soccer tops.
Around the time of the Jerome Quinn article there was a Camogie team (think it might have been QUB) players who sometimes drank in Hunters on the Lisburn Road which has always been a leading if not the main NI supporters meeting place.  They would be in their GAA gear on Wednesday late afternoons before games and the place was full of NI supporters.  Never saw any bother and no one had a problem either way.

Excuse yourself. I have first hand experience of having death threats being made for wearing a GAA top on the Lisburn Road, and I can assure you that there aren't many people who would be willing to walk down Tate's Avenue with a Football top on short of them being offered a sizeable amount of money. Generally, wearing a GAA top on the Lisburn Road is likely to result in serious injury at particular times--the resident's mindset is that it's the sporting wing of the IRA.

What a load of rubbish. I live on the Lisburn Road, you can see GAA tops walking up and down it every single day of the week, and there is not a word said.

I live on the Lisburn Road (Dunluce) and I'd just like to point out that that is simply not true. Anyway I don't want to get into the whole 'is the Lisburn Road safe' argument. The fact that I live there without much bother is proof that it's probably alright.

Quote from: Ari on May 01, 2009, 09:56:23 PM
I'm not trying to be contentious nor am I trying to start arguments. A massive problem for a lot of Unionists, who would like to support the GAA but cannot due to moral reasons, is the naming of certain clubs.

A lot of people I feel, would have no problem playing if the clubs didn't have "contentious" names.

To be honest, I can understand this.

Firstly, I don't wish to gloss over the fact that there is a significant loyalist bigoted community out there who simply hate the GAA and everything about it because, as has been already pointed out, they hate Catholics.

However, I think there is going to come a time when the GAA, in the North especially, will have to have a strong debate within itself about how it can become more "accessible" to the free-thinking, reasonable members of the Unionist community (whom I hope are in the majority).

It is ludicrous to try and link the GAA to the Orange Order but there is no getting away from the fact that the GAA in the North* (I don't wish to leave myself open to stupid statements about Irish Protestants in Wicklow or somewhere) is almost 100% Catholic. This may be for bigoted reasons from some Northern Protestants - hardened attitudes which will probably never change - but it may also be for reasons like the one mentioned above, naming of clubs and grounds after Republican martyrs and heroes.

I can understand why this would be a problem and it is something that should be addressed within the organisation. For the record, I am not advocating that the names of grounds should be changed one way or the other, I personally have not made up my mind on the matter which is one reason why I would really like to see the debate take place.

I await a barage of abuse from some posters for bringing this up.

Ari

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on May 02, 2009, 12:33:15 PM
Around the time of the Jerome Quinn article there was a Camogie team (think it might have been QUB) players who sometimes drank in Hunters on the Lisburn Road which has always been a leading if not the main NI supporters meeting place.  They would be in their GAA gear on Wednesday late afternoons before games and the place was full of NI supporters.  Never saw any bother and no one had a problem either way.

Excuse yourself. I have first hand experience of having death threats being made for wearing a GAA top on the Lisburn Road, and I can assure you that there aren't many people who would be willing to walk down Tate's Avenue with a Football top on short of them being offered a sizeable amount of money. Generally, wearing a GAA top on the Lisburn Road is likely to result in serious injury at particular times--the resident's mindset is that it's the sporting wing of the IRA.

What a load of rubbish. I live on the Lisburn Road, you can see GAA tops walking up and down it every single day of the week, and there is not a word said.

I live on the Lisburn Road (Dunluce) and I'd just like to point out that that is simply not true. Anyway I don't want to get into the whole 'is the Lisburn Road safe' argument. The fact that I live there without much bother is proof that it's probably alright.

I'm not trying to be contentious nor am I trying to start arguments. A massive problem for a lot of Unionists, who would like to support the GAA but cannot due to moral reasons, is the naming of certain clubs.

A lot of people I feel, would have no problem playing if the clubs didn't have "contentious" names.

Firstly, I don't wish to gloss over the fact that there is a significant loyalist bigoted community out there who simply hate the GAA and everything about it because, as has been already pointed out, they hate Catholics.

However, I think there is going to come a time when the GAA, in the North especially, will have to have a strong debate within itself about how it can become more "accessible" to the free-thinking, reasonable members of the Unionist community (whom I hope are in the majority).

It is ludicrous to try and link the GAA to the Orange Order but there is no getting away from the fact that the GAA in the North* (I don't wish to leave myself open to stupid statements about Irish Protestants in Wicklow or somewhere) is almost 100% Catholic. This may be for bigoted reasons from some Northern Protestants - hardened attitudes which will probably never change - but it may also be for reasons like the one mentioned above, naming of clubs and grounds after Republican martyrs and heroes.

I can understand why this would be a problem and it is something that should be addressed within the organisation. For the record, I am not advocating that the names of grounds should be changed one way or the other, I personally have not made up my mind on the matter which is one reason why I would really like to see the debate take place.

Great post.

The naming issue is a massive one. I'm a regular attendance at NI games. I'd have issues (and I'd expect you all to have issues as well) if the Kop stand was renamed the Jim Gray Stand, or the Billy Wright North Stand.

I'm all for leaving politics outside of sport.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Ari on May 02, 2009, 01:23:26 PM
Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on May 02, 2009, 12:33:15 PM

Great post.

The naming issue is a massive one. I'm a regular attendance at NI games. I'd have issues (and I'd expect you all to have issues as well) if the Kop stand was renamed the Jim Gray Stand, or the Billy Wright North Stand.

I'm all for leaving politics outside of sport.
When did Gray or Wright play for NI?  Maybe I missed that...
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something