Antrim lives up to its name as a sectarian cesspit

Started by Doogie Browser, April 29, 2009, 12:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Gaaman

I was at the Tyrone Monaghan match a few years back behind the nets.  In walks a portuguese man with a Portugal and Monaghan flag.  He stood in front of me for the whole match.  He seemed to really enjoy the match.   No doubt he'd been to a few matches because he knew all the players.

I was also going through Dungannon last Sept.  I near wet myself laughing.  I seen a black man wearin a Red Tyrone top and a tyrone hat......the hat was tilted to the side like the Americans do.   I thought it was class.

My ones next door to me are from Poland.  Last Sept they had Tyrone flags hanging out there window before I managed to get mine up.

Isn't it amazing to thing that these people can enjoy our culture and sports, but them bigoted bast**ds don't even want to know.

It really makes my blood boil.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gaaman on May 01, 2009, 07:35:08 PM
I was at the Tyrone Monaghan match a few years back behind the nets.  In walks a portuguese man with a Portugal and Monaghan flag.  He stood in front of me for the whole match.  He seemed to really enjoy the match.   No doubt he'd been to a few matches because he knew all the players.

I was also going through Dungannon last Sept.  I near wet myself laughing.  I seen a black man wearin a Red Tyrone top and a tyrone hat......the hat was tilted to the side like the Americans do.   I thought it was class.

My ones next door to me are from Poland.  Last Sept they had Tyrone flags hanging out there window before I managed to get mine up.

Isn't it amazing to thing that these people can enjoy our culture and sports, but them bigoted bast**ds don't even want to know.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Them "bigoted bastards" (incorrectly) see the GAA as the sporting wing of SF/IRA, whereas your average foreigner sees it purely as a sporting organisation. I'm sure they couldn't give a shite about the petty squabbling that passes for politics here.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 01, 2009, 07:46:22 PM
Quote from: Gaaman on May 01, 2009, 07:35:08 PM

You're comparing apples and oranges. Them "bigoted b**tards" (incorrectly) see the GAA as the sporting wing of SF/IRA, whereas your average foreigner sees it purely as a sporting organisation. I'm sure they couldn't give a shite about the petty squabbling that passes for politics here.

They see it as what taigs follow... KAT and all that...

Ari

I'm not trying to be contentious nor am I trying to start arguments. A massive problem for a lot of Unionists, who would like to support the GAA but cannot due to moral reasons, is the naming of certain clubs.

A lot of people I feel, would have no problem playing if the clubs didn't have "contentious" names.

Roger

I've heard loads of people admit at the very least that the GAA is "more than a sport".  If GAA was 'just sport' then I can't see anyone having any problems.

fred the red

Quote from: Ari on May 01, 2009, 09:56:23 PM
I'm not trying to be contentious nor am I trying to start arguments. A massive problem for a lot of Unionists, who would like to support the GAA but cannot due to moral reasons, is the naming of certain clubs.

A lot of people I feel, would have no problem playing if the clubs didn't have "contentious" names.

why not play for a club(like 99%) that dont have a contentious name?

wud give a little added motivation when up against one of these teams whos names you dont like  ;)

Roger

Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2009, 10:20:59 PM
Quote from: Roger on May 01, 2009, 10:08:37 PM
I've heard loads of people admit at the very least that the GAA is "more than a sport".  If GAA was 'just sport' then I can't see anyone having any problems.

What, pray tell, is the GAA to these children, out packing bags to raise a few quid?
Clever that.

armaghniac

Quotewhy not play for a club(like 99%) that dont have a contentious name?

Why not form a club and call them the Craigavon Carsons, Tullyhappy True Blues or whatever.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Roger

Quote from: armaghniac on May 01, 2009, 10:52:49 PM
Quotewhy not play for a club(like 99%) that dont have a contentious name?

Why not form a club and call them the Craigavon Carsons, Tullyhappy True Blues or whatever.
Why not just leave all Politics and not just party-Politics out of sport?

Roger

Nope.  Just the obvious and right thing to do.  That way everyone gets to enjoy their sport and kids don't get mixed up in shite

longrunsthefox

GAA is a way of life. 'To those who understand no explaination is necessary...' etc. reading your messages the last few days I very much doubt that you understand.

Roger

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 01, 2009, 11:06:58 PM

GAA is a way of life. 'To those who understand no explaination is necessary...' etc. reading your messages the last few days I very much doubt that you understand.
And people wonder why people don't like it or are opposed to it  ::)

MW

Quote from: ziggysego on April 29, 2009, 10:55:39 PM
MW, are you seriously suggesting that the only thing wrong in all this, is people are getting upset? Not the complaint?

No I meant the complaints.

MW

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 30, 2009, 10:31:24 AM
Quote from: MW on April 29, 2009, 10:49:48 PM
Feck me people really need to wise up :-\
PS...over on Slugger it states Watson has said "Since the story broke today I have been in touch with the GAA club in question and stressed that I was not involved in the complaint." Some talk of the councillor concerned being from the PUP.

This coming from the idiots who organised boycotts of shops in Belfast and Aldergrove airport for not supplying six county soccer regalia! Idiots who want to boycott pubs in Belfast because they won't allow six county soccer fans to wear their soccer tops into the establishments. MW who really needs to wise up?  ::)

Leaving aside the fact that you've picked up wrongly what I've said (ziggysego did too so apologies for not making myself clear)...

I don't actually remember doing any of these things. Are themmuns just one big undifferentiated mass in your book?