Antrim lives up to its name as a sectarian cesspit

Started by Doogie Browser, April 29, 2009, 12:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8024732.stm

Nice touch by the tolerant people of Antrim, those kids must have looked really threatening in their T-shirts. 

Minder

I have said it many times, Antrim should be razed to the ground and all it occupants made to live in Greenland.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

fitzroyalty

Comes as no surprise. Some people go out of there way to be offended  ::)
It would seem the unionist councillor who complained has the same tolerance and maturity as that of the children doing the charity bag pack.

illdecide

I was listening to that on the radio and was never as angry...I'd have loved to have smacked that Councilor...F**K he is one bitter Bastard, I'm surprised them kids we're not assaulted.

It still amazes me they way people still think of the GAA within the loyalist community
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Minder on April 29, 2009, 12:50:44 PM
I have said it many times, Antrim should be razed to the ground and all it occupants made to live in Greenland.
Tesco should have had more balls dealing with this case at the time and told thon councillor to piss off.  I know the Special Olympics Ireland team collected at my local ASDA store several times wearing their Irish team fleeces, suppose they should jave removed these too as they were blatantly trying to upset those that are hard to offend.

bingobus

My Aunt and Uncle live in Antrim, Catholic family and live right in a Loyalist estate. From May onwards to past the 12th it looks like the Shankill road, thank God they where never bothered and mixed well with there neighbours. Other families in the area did move out.

Uncle would never wear short sleeves though as a result of Tats he got done in his youth!!

theskull1

Nice to see Tescos appealing to the lowest common denominator like they all do

Sometimes the customers isn't right
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Maguire01

This really is disgraceful and particularly poor form by Tesco and the Ulster Unioist rep. Unfortunately, you do expect such behaviour of the locals.

Is there any insight into what exactly people were offended by? Has anyone attempted to explain?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: bingobus on April 29, 2009, 12:55:38 PM
My Aunt and Uncle live in Antrim, Catholic family and live right in a Loyalist estate. From May onwards to past the 12th it looks like the Shankill road, thank God they where never bothered and mixed well with there neighbours. Other families in the area did move out.

Uncle would never wear short sleeves though as a result of Tats he got done in his youth!!
And like the kids at Tesco they have no choice but to accept this, people talk about groups like Freemasons, Knights etc as if they are little tea and sandwich groups yet these are exactly the kind of 'institutions' (apt) that perpetuate the hatred and sectarianism against all things Nationalist in the 6 counties still.   

armaghniac

This exposes the Ulster unionists for the bigots that they are, some of these would claim that bigotry is the preserve of the DUP.

Tesco have opened a can of worms on this one, are they going to allow other sports clubs wear regalia here or elsewhere?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

maddog

Ping Pong Santa

I wish I hadn't opened this thread!

Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 29, 2009, 12:54:27 PM
Comes as no surprise. Some people go out of there way to be offended  ::)
It would seem the unionist councillor who complained has the same tolerance and maturity as that of the children doing the charity bag pack.

Give the kids a break!

full back

Does anyone really expect anything less?

I am awaiting the arrival of the cavalry.................

Tony Baloney

If I lived in Antrim I wouldn't let my sons walk around the town in GAA gear so I'm surprised that anyone is surprised. Same goes for Larne, Ballymena etc. etc.

All these bag filling organisations should be banned anyway as none of them know how to pack a bag.

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: full back on April 29, 2009, 01:14:01 PM
Does anyone really expect anything less?

I am awaiting the arrival of the cavalry.................

To be honest, yes.

I thought these days we had passed this kind of behaviour to some extent. I am maybe not surprised that there were some complaints made but I am shocked at how Tesco's caved.

Maybe attitudes have not softened in Antrim as much as they may have in other parts.