Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick the master

Conor was moved from chb to midfield on saturday cause paul hughes went of injured and it was the wrong move to move him there,young harte didnt score in the 1st half when gormley was on him,all his score came in the second when young benny mc laughlin was on him.i think if they had a moved Paul daly into the middle it would have worked better for carrickmore,in saying that errigal played the better football in the 2nd half and ran out deserving winners.

No way ref

Quote from: EC Unique on November 09, 2009, 05:49:29 PM
Quote from: MR99 on November 09, 2009, 04:56:13 PM
Congrats to Errigal, a league title was deserved for the way the played all year and I think they were definitely the most consistent league team and will be hard to stop next year.  A Big worry for Carmen if teams are going to put men like young Harte and Collie McCullagh at CHF to expose Gormley's lack of pace, why was Conor ever moved from the midfield in the first place, especially when Ciaran McAleer is quite a good CHB?  I think with Dromore and Errigal being the victors this year with local managers, maybe teams have to look again at the benefit of outside managers with their high fees and what they bring to their clubs. 
Hard luck to Dromore yesterday, nothing seemed to go right for them on the day but I am sure them boys will be back, they would have taken a Tyrone title and losing in the first round of Ulster at the start of the year.  Losing McMahon before the throw in was a major blow then having to bring him on early when clearly not fully fit for the unfortunate Kevin Donnelly didn't help matters.  The referee giving Clontibret a point that was clearly wide (as confirmed by the umpire) certainly didn't give them any belief that they were going to get justice.  In fairness it was hard hitting but nothing cynical and the ref done a reasonable job after that.  It takes that much effort for club's to win the Tyrone Club Championship that they always seem to be knackered by the time they reach the Ulster Club.  It is similar to the way the Ulster Inter County teams used to be when they won Ulster they could not perform in the All-Ireland.  Clontibret, St. Galls, St. Eunan's etc... dont have much opposition in their own county and can come into the Ulster Club with a freshness that Tyrone club's cant.

Very good point and one our club should remember in future.
Did youse not sack your home grown managers at the end of last year

tyrone86

Congrats to Errigal, a league title was deserved for the way the played all year and I think they were definitely the most consistent league team and will be hard to stop next year.  A Big worry for Carmen if teams are going to put men like young Harte and Collie McCullagh at CHF to expose Gormley's lack of pace, why was Conor ever moved from the midfield in the first place, especially when Ciaran McAleer is quite a good CHB?  I think with Dromore and Errigal being the victors this year with local managers, maybe teams have to look again at the benefit of outside managers with their high fees and what they bring to their clubs. 
Hard luck to Dromore yesterday, nothing seemed to go right for them on the day but I am sure them boys will be back, they would have taken a Tyrone title and losing in the first round of Ulster at the start of the year.  Losing McMahon before the throw in was a major blow then having to bring him on early when clearly not fully fit for the unfortunate Kevin Donnelly didn't help matters.  The referee giving Clontibret a point that was clearly wide (as confirmed by the umpire) certainly didn't give them any belief that they were going to get justice.  In fairness it was hard hitting but nothing cynical and the ref done a reasonable job after that.  It takes that much effort for club's to win the Tyrone Club Championship that they always seem to be knackered by the time they reach the Ulster Club.  It is similar to the way the Ulster Inter County teams used to be when they won Ulster they could not perform in the All-Ireland.  Clontibret, St. Galls, St. Eunan's etc... dont have much opposition in their own county and can come into the Ulster Club with a freshness that Tyrone club's cant.

Out of the 6 title winners in Tyrone - the 3 Leagues and 3 Championships - 4 of them had internal managers, Cookstown being the sole exceptions and the consensus would be that Cricko is a superb manager who should go on to bigger and better things.

Aaron Boone

Clonoe won with a good outside manager last year, although they had no Ulster Club luck.

A worry that Tyrone have made no significant Ulster Club breakthrough since 02. Clontibret, however, looked very useful yesterday and they have Grimley on the line.

Yes I Would

Hard luck to Dromore yesterday, nothing seemed to go right for them on the day but I am sure them boys will be back, they would have taken a Tyrone title and losing in the first round of Ulster at the start of the year.  Losing McMahon before the throw in was a major blow then having to bring him on early when clearly not fully fit for the unfortunate Kevin Donnelly didn't help matters.  The referee giving Clontibret a point that was clearly wide (as confirmed by the umpire) certainly didn't give them any belief that they were going to get justice.  In fairness it was hard hitting but nothing cynical and the ref done a reasonable job after that.  It takes that much effort for club's to win the Tyrone Club Championship that they always seem to be knackered by the time they reach the Ulster Club.   It is similar to the way the Ulster Inter County teams used to be when they won Ulster they could not perform in the All-Ireland.  Clontibret, St. Galls, St. Eunan's etc... dont have much opposition in their own county and can come into the Ulster Club with a freshness that Tyrone club's cant.

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better!!

EC Unique

Quote from: No way ref on November 09, 2009, 06:59:07 PM

Did youse not sack your home grown managers at the end of last year
Indeed we did and took on a much better home grown manager. ;)

EC Unique

Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 09, 2009, 08:13:47 PM
Clonoe won with a good outside manager last year, although they had no Ulster Club luck.

A worry that Tyrone have made no significant Ulster Club breakthrough since 02. Clontibret, however, looked very useful yesterday and they have Grimley on the line.

Why is it a worry. Only ever 2 senior Ulster Club titles both 2 Errigal. Has no bearing on anything exept the club involved. Tyrone club football is very different to the type of football required to win Ulster.

tyrone86

True enough, going back to last year, the outside men outshone the internal men - outsiders landing 4 of the 6 trophies.

As for the Ulster Club, the success of the Tyrone teams in the Intermediate and Junior competitions suggests that Tyrone football is much more balanced through the than other counties - I'd say Tyrone clubs have a higher percentage of Intermediate and Junior players in all their panels compared to other counties. As for the lack of success at Senior Ulster Club, our county winners simply haven't been good enough in Ulster. I mean, no other team apart from Errigal has reached the Ulster Final in the last 20 years- the Fianna in '89 - that in itself tells a story. The only team that could feel aggrieved about that statistic is the Carmen team of 95 that was as good a side as either of the Errigal teams that won Ulster and never got a shot at it because of the All Ireland run and Errigal's nomination by the TCB

wheres he takin er from

think this whole argument revolves around quality and incentive of the outside manager. if they're good and want to build a reputation then it has a good chance of working. note there are no guarantees tho. 

however if a club appoint an outsider who's lining his pockets just because the "grass is always greener...." then it's probably always counter productive.
First on the field and last to leave

Gaaman

Just a general query here.

Does anyone know how or who to contact to get Mickey Harte to do a guest appearance or motivational speach at an event early next year?????????

Zapatista

Quote from: Gaaman on November 09, 2009, 09:35:14 PM
Just a general query here.

Does anyone know how or who to contact to get Mickey Harte to do a guest appearance or motivational speach at an event early next year?????????

KIDDO posted the details a few pages back on this thread. A week ago maybe?PM KIDDO if ye can't find it.

tyronefan

call the county board office and they will give you his mobile

Gaaman

randomtask

now that club football is done and dusted for another year, i thought that like our relatives from hoganstand we could have some sort of awards ceremony to show our appreciation to all the clubs who achieved in 2009! mines are:

1. County player of the Year - Kevin Hughes

2. County match of the Year - Down vs. wicklow

3. Club match of the Year - Ardboe vs Dromore (county final)

4. Club Team of the Year - Naomh Colmcille

5. Favourite venue in the County ( excluding Healy Park and your own ground ) - cappach have a great surface these days

6. Least Favourite venue - Dromore, changing roomsare terrible,  surface isn't much better

7. Biggest contributor to Tyrone GAA this year - Moby think he was present at nearly every championship match i was at this year whether it was senior, intermediate or Junior. also does mighty work promoting GAA in strabane

8. Nicest club strip in the County - have a fancy for errigals strip

9. Ugliest strip in the County - dregish

10. Favourite overall moment of 2009 - our brilliant performance from our youth and are showing good progression from youth to senior through the winning of the under 21 title.

KIDDO 4

Despite the criticism for our surroundings coming from the Omagh source perhaps he would care to visit our facilities , which include a fully laid synthetic pitch, a further sand carpet pitch to be completed in 2011, and time to win 2 county championships and 5 senior league since 2003,  we must be doing something correct in this rural outpost .