Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KIDDO

Odds for Tyrone senior championship as listed on Boyle Sports web site, Dromore10/11, Coalisland 11/4,  Donaghmore,3/1 and Cookstown 9/1

Norf Tyrone

Quotejust a note of condolences to the mcmenamin/darcy family from tattyreagh on the sad passing of former tyrone camogie president bridie mcmenamin, who passed away yesterday after a long battle with cancer. RIP

Bridie would be an aunt of my wifes. I'll ensure the family gets the kind messages posted. Even when the cancer was taking grip over the years, you could guarantee Bridie would still be travelling the length of the County watching her Tattyreagh...all age groups!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

new devil

Quote from: sam03/05 on September 19, 2007, 06:56:08 PM
anyone think that Cookstown are in with a shout on Friday night? No one seems to think they have any chance.
I think with players like Mulligan, Mulgrew, Gilmore, Murray, McGurk, Barry Mulligan, C O Hare they must have at least a chance against Dromore. They have as much talent in their ranks as any of the teams involved and could just spring a surprise.

If cookstown are depending on boys like C O'Hare and Barry Mulligan they will have no chance..... id say it will be same old cookstown...just wont have the balls for it!

ONeill

Mulligan, Mulgrew, Gilmore, Murray, McGurk - five excellent footballers on their day. This will be a tight one with Dromore's relatively experienced side perhaps holding the sway for some. It has been a season of change so don't rule out the Fr Rocks. For me, a Cookstown sizzler - Rocks by 2
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyrone86

Head on the block time.

These are thieved from Lone Shark at Ladbrokes

Dromore  -  5/4     
Coalisland -  9/4    
Donaghmore - 9/4    
Cookstown - 7/1

Friday 21st September @ Healy Park, Omagh
WJ Dolan Tyrone SFC semi-final @ 8:15pm
Dromore v Cookstown

Judging by the above odds Dromore are clear favourites. And rightly so. Championship Final in 04, Semi Finals in '05 and '06 and a couple of league titles as well. Only the Green White and Gold of An Charraig Mhor has denied them to date. Surely the breakthrough has to come, like it did for Carmen in the mid 90s? The addition of Raymond Gallagher has given them another quality forward, and with the coming of age of lads like Cathal McCarron, Sean O'Neill, Shane McMahon, Shaun 'Snowy ' O'Neill and Eoin McCusker it has added to an already solid spine of the team. However, top drawer performances against Trillick and Galbally have been forgetten in the wake of their Quarter Final against Kildress.

Cookstown, on the other hand, have reached a semi-final of a championship few would have predicted this time last year. After their exploits of 2005 under the legendary Frank McGuigan, 2006 was truly horrible for the Father Rocks, until the last couple of games when they inexplicably found a bit of form and avoided relegation from 1A despite maybe picking up 4 points in the previous 20 games and getting dumped from the Championship by Edendork. This year appeared to be going along the same lines until a change of management a week or 2 before the Championship shook them up and they once again turned in an inexplicable performance to dump Ardboe. In their QF they always had too much for Edendork and won relatively comfortably. A few quality minor sides in 02, 03 and 04 haven't came through yet, and this could be their big opportunity.

The odds suggest a comfortable Dromore victory, but I wouldn't be so sure.

For Cookstown, Paul McGurk will be expected to pick up and nullify Colm McCullagh, a job which he is well capable of doing. The half back line and midfield are easily Cookstown's strongest areas and will need to provide an attacking presence, in particular Marty Murray and Gary Fitzpatrick. And finally, a fit Owen Mulligan needs to take responsibility and lead by example and get the best from Gilmore, Cummings and Hughes - all of whom can be potential match winners.

As for Dromore, they need a big game from Ricey. Generally when Ricey plays well Dromore play well. Joe Campbell needs to forget about the last time he was under lights at Healy Park. I believe Dromore lost against Carmen last year when Joe Campbell was subbed. Despite not playing particularly well, it was the catalyst that brought Ronan McGarrity into the game and ultimately changed it. Joe has a point to prove come Friday - if selected. Finally, Dromore need to forget it's a Championship Semi-Final. They just about fell over the line in 04 against a Dooher and in particular an O'Neill inspired Clann na nGael. The Kildress performance reeked of the pressure starting to build up.

If Dromore can't deal with the pressure and under perform again, then Cookstown will take them in a big upset.

Sunday 23rd September @ O'Neill Park, Dungannon
WJ Dolan Tyrone SFC semi-final @ 4:00pm
Donaghmore v Coalisland

Most level headed neutrals would say that, despite the hyperbole coming from the Coalisland camp, that this game will be a toss up. Is that the case though, or are we missing what the residents of Lower Annagher have seen clearly since they got beaten by Errigal last year?

Coalisland have put all comers to the sword with relative ease. They brushed aside an Omagh side with a dozen men that played in a county final 18 months earlier with a power packed second half display. Loughmacrory fared no better and where crushed like Omagh before them. Former County Champions Killyclogher couldn't deal with the pace and threat of this young Fianna side. Coming off the back of an Ulster Minor title has buoyed the younger members of the side, and rejuvenated those from the Minor double winning side of 2000 that never appeared to make the breakthrough like it promised. The young blues do indeed appear to be on fire, but can Donaghmore extinguish them in the 07 Championship?

Donaghmore, for the past few years, have been just outside touching distance of the promised land of Tyrone football - their path usually blocked by the men of Carrickmore or Errigal Ciaran, in a similar vein to Moortown in the mid and late 90s. However, with both their proverbial bogey teams gone, is this the year the St Patrick's can finally claim that illusive Championship. They put Clonoe, conquers of Carmen, away in a clinical fashion. In the QF against Errigal - Part I - before the injury to Paul Quinn, they looked to be on their way to a semi-final playing against 14 men and seemingly in control of the game. However, fate intervened and the game was abandoned.   Many naysayers felt they'd missed the boat and that Errigal would improve sufficiently to book their place in the semi final. Whilst previous Donaghmore sides may have wilted, the 07 variety seems to be made of sterner stuff and a solid team performance in Part II booked their place in the Semi.

It would take a brave man to wager any money on this game, and a replay is a distinct possiblity.

For Coalisland, they need to play with the same abandon that they have until now. While their defence can be somewhat porous at times they seem to have the attitude that "whatever you score, we'll score more". With forwards the caliber of the Early's, Richard Thorton and the Toner's - who will doubt them. The only issue will be how fragile are they mentally after their defeat against Errigal last year. They've won all games easily to date, but many feel they where in control against Errigal until they lost their discipline. Donaghmore certainly won't be as easily beaten as any of their previous opponents, and if Coalisland haven't yet recovered from the trauma of losing that game, could the discipline go again? It has already, just look at last year's Under 21 final against Errigal. Could the conquers of their conquers be what denies them the O'Neill cup?

Donaghmore have a strong team ethic and work tremendously hard for each other, but whatever about perspiration you need a bit of inspiration to take you to a county final and they seem to have that in the form of the exceptional talent of Niall McGinn. Despite not being at his most accurate, he still gave Errigal a torrid time in the second game and Coalisland will need to be very wary of him. It will be interesting to see who gets that particular job. However, McGinn isn't all that Coalisland have to worry about, the Hetheringtons, Kelvin Hughes and the Mulgrews among others all have class to burn and play an intregral role in the side. And as they proved in the Quarter final, they have shown they have the mental toughness to go all the way - something none of their competitors have illustrated.

Donaghmore by a kick of a ball.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Intriguing couple of ties, very difficult to call, Cookstown & Coalisland.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

snappiered

Quote from: tyrone86 on September 19, 2007, 11:36:13 PM

I believe Dromore lost against Carmen last year when Joe Campbell was subbed. Despite not playing particularly well, it was the catalyst that brought Ronan McGarrity into the game and ultimately changed it. Joe has a point to prove come Friday - if selected. Finally,

Joe is not playing much / any football this year due to injury so he wont be selected. He a big loss to Dromore always useful for a few points.
We are playing Gortin tonight at 6:30 with a chance to go second for a few hours with Kildress not playing until Saturday.

rrhf

Some great previews. That Tyrone 86 is the best one Ibve read yet.
Im going against all logical thought here and tipping Cookstown here, theres a twist or two in this season yet perhaps.  But can anyone understand the Cookstown club, full of talent yet need refocussed consistently over a season.   Any team that can win a championship quarter final without their star man regardless of the opposition are capable if they get him back in there.  I suspect he'll be sprung from the bench.  Dromore deserve it as much as anybody but like all the contenders they are to be respected not feared.
As for thon other auld game, Im nervous as f**k about it.  To me the Fianna have exuded flair that no other team has in the championship so far, but I believe they are meeting their closest rivals yet.  Theres 4 miles between the Donaghmore and Coalisland clubs,  theres nothing between them on the field though,  Donaghmore have a little more experience, Coalisland have a little more sharpness in attack.  If Coalisland maintain a 3 goal a game average then they will win, but if they score only 1 or none at all then Donaghmore will outscore them in points..  But one things for sure those who choose to sit in and watch Rugby world cup this Sunday evening will miss a cracker,  this game has the potential to be an absolute classic.  Two of the foundation clubs in the GAA in Tyrone go head to head in a battle some 104 years after visionary men in peak caps and trimmed moustaches brought them to life and told them to play football . Only one O Neill cup final was ever contested between these two .... In 1928 between the two clubs Coalisland became only the second club to lift the  ONeill cup after Donaghmore in 27 denyiing the village club their only 2 in a row attempt.  There truly has been a famine for all 4 teams left in this competition.  On October 14th that famine will be over for only one of the 4.  But for 3 others the pain will endure.  Whatever happens come Friday evening under the sparkling floodlights in the magnificent modern ampitheatre of Healy Park, Omagh and On Sunday afternoon in the more modest but symbolic environs of the ancestral home of Tyrone football - O Neill Park Dungannon  -  a new era in Tyrone Football will  well and truly have begun and the East Tyrone clubs will never sit in the shade for so long again.  The Ulster club championship can wait.             

orangeman

Jesus lads we're getting some very serious analysis - some of you boys could be on the Sunday game panel and you wouldn't be disgraced !!!

I see Moortown have to play a league match before their final on Sunday week - Eglish will be rubbing their hands hoping that Moortown field a weakened side - I see Tyrone times devoted a paragraph to that, suggesting that it was a masterstroke on behalf of the Eglish club ( Cathal Daly is the fixtures man ) to get this match fixed for the week before the final - But then I suppose it was no different to Dromore, Donaghmore and Coalisland having to play last Saturday. A fixtures secretary fixing a game to suit his own club ?? No way - that just wouldn't happen in Tyrone.

Deal_Me_In

Orangeman, Both ourselves and Rock have to play this weekend too but i don't see it being a problem, would rather have a good hard game as preperation that a training session, its more benefit. Yes there is the risk of injury but there is the saem risk if you are doing intense training (which you should be a week before a championship final)

Kentucky Blue

Very thorough analysis indeed, great posts lads.
Neck on the line; Dromore & Coalisland.

Think Dromore will be very highly driven for this tie and realise this will be without doubt their best opportunity to win that coveted championship that they crave so badly. Expect it to be pretty close though. Some good duels to take place. Eastwood and Gilmore can be tricky customers for Cookstown inside and Murray's ball carrying from wing back will take a watching but gonna say Dromore by 3.

On the other game, i'll go for coalisland by a similar sort of margin. Coalisland won't be naive enough to award to Niall McGinn the same space he was awarded against Errigal. His pace would trouble the quickest of defender's. Think the young guns of coalisland will come of age in what will be a keenly contested and physical game. was impressed with the Donaghmore half back line against Errigal and Kelvin Hughes' ability to swep in front of them and constantly made himself available for the ball when they were building from defence.

Are there odds up for match betting out of interest?

orangeman

Coalisland 10/11 and Donaghmor 11/10

snappiered

As far as i am aware none of the four clubs involved in Junior or Intermediate finals next weekend will be playing league football this weekend. Remember were you heard it first.

giveherlong

Because it's all about what you do on a given day that counts, the footballing sages amongst us would insist that nothing is ever certain when championships come down to the semi-finals stage. And former Tyrone assistant manager Sean Canavan feels it's no different this time, apart from the obvious.
"Blue is unquestionably the colour that will be represented with distinction in the final, but that's about it as far as predicting with any degree of certainty is concerned" says the Stewartstown-based Ardboe man, the current captain of Killymoon Golf Club.
Regarded as a master tactician and very astute assessor of a team's strengths and weaknesses, Canavan agreed to put his head on the chopping block and endeavour to come up with the answers to two very tricky contests at the penultimate stage of our top tournament.

Let me say straight away that, for me as with most people I suspect, it will be a major surprise if Dromore do not progress to the decider – although many of the members of my golf club won't like me for saying that.
But the simple fact is that, whereas it's very obviously new territory for these talented Fr.Rocks players, the bulk of the St.Dympnas men have been down this road more than once before and there is often no substitute for experience in these big stage situations.
Everywhere you look in the Dromore side you see guys who've been there and done it, to a degree at any rate, and they'll view this as their chance to win a title that has evaded them for so long – despite knocking on the door quite a few times.
With Errigal Ciaran and Carrickmore out of the way, they'll believe that their name is perhaps on the cup. They'd need to keep such thoughts in perspective, of course, because it would be dangerous to lose the run of themselves. But I'm sure Noel McGinn will ensure that doesn't happen.
Cookstown are not without a chance and will relish being written off yet again by the pundits. They are a supremely gifted group of players but I fear they may just lack the experience. They have a couple of players who are regarded as talismen, but I'm not sure if they'll do it in a Healy Park cauldron.
Raymond Mulgrew is going to be a star player for Tyrone for many years but I don't think he has yet produced his best for his club; while Owen Mulligan, if he plays, hasnot set the world alight either. For example, against Ardboe all he did was score a goal.
Now, if they were to click on the same night... especially as the Dromore defence is perhaps not their strongest asset.
Times Tip – Dromore

The other one clearly looks a bit harder to call, but let me dive in straight off and say that I believe Coalisland will not only defeat Donaghmore, but will also go on to win the final.
I've been convinced of that ever since they lost to Errigal last year. Indeed, I'm sure the Fianna men would've won the title in 2006 had they beaten the Ballygawley men that day, which they really should have done.
They had the hard bit done when Pascal Canavan hit Peter Donnelly and they all lost their discipline. I'm not saying that was the whole idea but that's how it worked out, the older
experienced heads on the Errigal shoulders grabbing victory from what should have been inevitable defeat.
But I'm absolutely sure Coalisland have learned from that and will be stronger and wiser for it. I feel they are the most talented group of players anywhere in the county and suspect their time has come.
They will be put to a severe test by a Donaghmore team who were given a severe physical examination by Errigal Ciaran and came through it, not once but twice. They had the first game in their grasp when it was unfortunately abandoned, albeit for very good reason.
A lot of smart observers felt their chance had slipped by and didn't expect them to reproduce their form in the second clash, but they did and got their reward. They have potential matchwinners in a number of positions and are serious title contenders, but I just feel it's going to be Coalisland's year.
Times Tip - Coalisland

Tyrone Dreamer

Thinks will get out of hand if clubs start complaing about having to play league games the week before the championship. The season has to get finished. Tyrone had to play week after week in 2005 and the intensity at county level and the hits are much greater than club level. A game the week before should be good practice for the clubs who would be training anyway and trying to replicate match situations. Dont think there should be a problem at all with a league game the previous week.