Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Think mcguigan is just right standing up for himself. It was an unnecessary dig from Harte and could have done without saying it.

God14

100% with Harte, I'd say his comments are accurate. Some people reckon he shouldn't have passed comment on it, but in total about 8 players walked from the panel last year. That's not on. At the time alot of folks, myself included questioned Harte and the morale in the camp. Harte kept his counsel til close season when most others didn't.
Shay had plenty of chances to nail down a slot in that team. He didn't take any of them.

Scoring Zone

mcguigans wee meltdown is a perfect example of the mentality of someone who has been told he's a mighty player and is wile hard done by everyone round him, when in fact he is a good club player plain and simple - nowhere near the standard for county (and him and coney got more than a fair crack at it) and they have hardly changed harte's opinion in the league or championship for Ardboe this year - grow up and move on ffs

Il Bomber Destro

If you read the full interview with Harte it seemed to be in the context of the new guys called up and how they need to knuckle down, keep working and bide their time.

I don't like fellas leaving panels mid season, I think you're in or out through thick or thin. McGuigan just isn't good enough to cut it at county level, of the lads that left last year I would say that most a lot of them weren't good enough.

I don't think the two McKennas, McNeice and  McGuigan were good enough, they had their chances but didn't show enough. Coney has the talent but seems to have a poor attitude and had ample opportunities to stake his claim but never made the most of them.

I was very disappointed with Quinn and Lavery, Quinn seemed to be in a decent position in that he was next in line if an injury or suspension popped up in the corners and started the game against Cork when McCarron was out. He didn't give it any go, Lavery took part in nearly all the league games. Both of these lads were definitely in the frame this summer if they stuck it out.

The squad looks very strong and healthy this year.

Napper

Quote from: Scoring Zone on December 14, 2015, 09:36:25 PM
mcguigans wee meltdown is a perfect example of the mentality of someone who has been told he's a mighty player and is wile hard done by everyone round him, when in fact he is a good club player plain and simple - nowhere near the standard for county (and him and coney got more than a fair crack at it) and they have hardly changed harte's opinion in the league or championship for Ardboe this year - grow up and move on ffs

Good analysis here Scoring Zone. McGuigan is living off the name. Not near the same standard as his two older brothers. Not even a really good club player. Average at best.

Uncle Kev

Quote from: gaafan2 on December 14, 2015, 09:10:11 PM

Micky Harte gave both coney and McGuigan plenty of chances but neither were up to county standard. Mcguigans rant is a bit embarrassing on his behalf. I would see through If he did produce the goods but he failed to do so on many occasions. He obviously has a bit too much to say for himself!
one will not win many honours ranting on Facebook or Twitter! Do your talking on the field ! And I admit my only honour is a reserve championship medal and a couple of factory tournament medals ! I could never complain about Micky Harte as the man is a winner in everything he turns his hand to ! Happy Christmas to everyone and I hope Tyrone can name strides in 2016 .

longballin

It was Mickey Harte stirred this pot of sh*t with his comments. Shea and Kyle and the other players were getting on with whatever they're at minding their own business and Harte had a pop at them totally uneccessarily. He started this with his snide comments

rrhf

I think harte is protecting his panel from guys walking in the future.

ose 14

shay mcguigan as far as i know works his ass off in a manual job his own business and needs to give it 100%. he doesent finish at 330pm ala the teacher brigade a highly sought after trait in most county squads. lads on here stating hes not good enough havent a clue.students and teachers and professionals in general are the mouldable specimens the management love. sheep who toe the line. harte kept his counsel to the end of the season to make it look that the defections were down to the players easy to say that when you make a semifinal. we all know why those players walked like so many before them. i applaud shay mcguigan for his defence of himself on facebook its highly unlikely that he would get airtime from the irish news and its pro harte stance. theres a pile of lads on that county squad who are canon fodder. they would all be better off with their clubs( like coney and mcguigan and lavery and quinn and the mckennas) and theyd have more chance of winning somthing.

Redhand Santa

I don't understand the criticism of McGuigan and a few others who have left the squad of Joe McMahon getting straight back into the squad. A player like Joe McMahon who has been playing on Tyrone teams for nearly 15 years starting on an All Ireland Minor winning team followed by 2 winning senior teams has earned the right at this stage to get back in the squad. He has continually taken his chances over the years and proved later in the year pre injury that it was the right decision to bring him back. A few of the players who left had chances over the previous few years and have never in my opinion deserved to nail down a place.

Harte maybe should have said nothing but McGuigan was more personal singling out his former team mate. I still think Harte's comments weren't far away. If the boys were not annoyed about getting on there's no doubt there would have been some complaining by some of them which can disrupt a squad.

longballin

If Shea thinks he ain't going to get a game he is entitled to walk rather than be a cone for training sessions. his comments were reaction to Harte who shouldn't have started this. PS: What happened to Harte's noble stand on not speaking to the Irish Star? 

driveherin

Harte just ain't a nice guy.....end of

blewuporstuffed

To be honest I dont think either Harte of McGuigan come out of this particularly well.
Harte may have been miss quoted or the comments taken out of context, but they seem unnecessary and I can see why McGuigan would have read them as a swipe at lads like himself & Coney.
Saying that, his response does him no favours at all, I don't think he was particularly hard done by, he was only on the Tyrone squad a couple of seasons,he was given a few opportunities and never really stood out as someone who could make the grade.
IMO he was fortunate to be given that chance at all, as I have seen him several times at club level and he has never impressed me.
He is fully entitled to leave the Tyrone squad  if he felt hew was going nowhere, but I think he could have handled things with a  bit more class than his current post on facebook.
If you have a look at lads like Peter Hughes, he could arguably have more reason to feel aggrieved , having been on the squad longer an having played well on occasion when given a chance (and also IMO being a better player), but still never having featured in a single championship game for Tyrone.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

longballin

Point is Harte started this row. Shouldn't have been slagging these lads off.. 

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 15, 2015, 08:22:54 AM
I don't understand the criticism of McGuigan and a few others who have left the squad of Joe McMahon getting straight back into the squad. A player like Joe McMahon who has been playing on Tyrone teams for nearly 15 years starting on an All Ireland Minor winning team followed by 2 winning senior teams has earned the right at this stage to get back in the squad. He has continually taken his chances over the years and proved later in the year pre injury that it was the right decision to bring him back. A few of the players who left had chances over the previous few years and have never in my opinion deserved to nail down a place.

Harte maybe should have said nothing but McGuigan was more personal singling out his former team mate. I still think Harte's comments weren't far away. If the boys were not annoyed about getting on there's no doubt there would have been some complaining by some of them which can disrupt a squad.

By that logic Tyrone should bring Peter Canavan back in a week before this years Ulster Championship. Maybe Shea McGuigan would have 'come good' in the later stages of the championship if he was afforded the same leeway.