Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandefender

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on December 15, 2015, 10:13:02 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 15, 2015, 08:22:54 AM
I don't understand the criticism of McGuigan and a few others who have left the squad of Joe McMahon getting straight back into the squad. A player like Joe McMahon who has been playing on Tyrone teams for nearly 15 years starting on an All Ireland Minor winning team followed by 2 winning senior teams has earned the right at this stage to get back in the squad. He has continually taken his chances over the years and proved later in the year pre injury that it was the right decision to bring him back. A few of the players who left had chances over the previous few years and have never in my opinion deserved to nail down a place.

Harte maybe should have said nothing but McGuigan was more personal singling out his former team mate. I still think Harte's comments weren't far away. If the boys were not annoyed about getting on there's no doubt there would have been some complaining by some of them which can disrupt a squad.

By that logic Tyrone should bring Peter Canavan back in a week before this years Ulster Championship. Maybe Shea McGuigan would have 'come good' in the later stages of the championship if he was afforded the same leeway.

No time for leeway come championship! I agree they should bring canavan back for the championship. You put mc guigan in every championship game for the next 10 years playing at his top level and I would still take a 40 year old canavan or 31 year old joe mc mahon for that matter

barelegs

While I don't think McGuigan was up to the standard of starting on the team I do think he has a point. He and a good few others had worked hard for 6 months. Before the Tyrone team took to the field against Kerry the management took jerseys off two players to give them to Joe McMahon and Dermot Carlin because there was only allowed to be 26 players stripped out. From memory it was said that one player who had a jersey taken off him left then and there. Regardless of the standing of the players who came back in the treatment of the players who lost their shirts was fairly shoddy.

For Harte to refer to the players as a drain on energy was unnecessary. I don't think McGuigan would have said anything on the matter if Harte hadn't reopened the issue.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on December 15, 2015, 10:13:02 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 15, 2015, 08:22:54 AM
I don't understand the criticism of McGuigan and a few others who have left the squad of Joe McMahon getting straight back into the squad. A player like Joe McMahon who has been playing on Tyrone teams for nearly 15 years starting on an All Ireland Minor winning team followed by 2 winning senior teams has earned the right at this stage to get back in the squad. He has continually taken his chances over the years and proved later in the year pre injury that it was the right decision to bring him back. A few of the players who left had chances over the previous few years and have never in my opinion deserved to nail down a place.

Harte maybe should have said nothing but McGuigan was more personal singling out his former team mate. I still think Harte's comments weren't far away. If the boys were not annoyed about getting on there's no doubt there would have been some complaining by some of them which can disrupt a squad.

By that logic Tyrone should bring Peter Canavan back in a week before this years Ulster Championship. Maybe Shea McGuigan would have 'come good' in the later stages of the championship if he was afforded the same leeway.

That's a great example actually. Peter Canavan played in the 2005 McKenna Cup and then announced he was leaving the squad. He returned before the championship and was brought straight in for the Down game and came of the bench making a big impact. When a player has been there as long as McMahon and produced time and time again he has earned the right to go straight back in when others haven't taken chances, just like Canavan ten years earlier. Players with serious ambitions of winning all Irelands would be glad to see someone like that back improving the quality in the squad.

WT4E

If you talk to any of the departed players in the last few years there's one recurring theme!

And just for the record I'm not backing McGuigan but fair play to him for having his say if he felt aggrieved - too much of the Irish/GAA mentality is bets sit there and say nothing attitude!

square_ball

Quote from: barelegs on December 15, 2015, 10:24:17 AM
While I don't think McGuigan was up to the standard of starting on the team I do think he has a point. He and a good few others had worked hard for 6 months. Before the Tyrone team took to the field against Kerry the management took jerseys off two players to give them to Joe McMahon and Dermot Carlin because there was only allowed to be 26 players stripped out. From memory it was said that one player who had a jersey taken off him left then and there. Regardless of the standing of the players who came back in the treatment of the players who lost their shirts was fairly shoddy.

For Harte to refer to the players as a drain on energy was unnecessary. I don't think McGuigan would have said anything on the matter if Harte hadn't reopened the issue.

I think this is the key point here. Whether he is good enough or not for Tyrone is besides the point. Sure McGuigan hadnt said anything in public since his departure and this only came about because Harte brought it up in whatever context he was speaking about. Those giving out about McGuigans response ask yourself if someone said you were a drain on the energy of a squad then what way would you take it and would you not be a little angry about it too?

For the record I am a big fan of Harte and think McGuigan is just below the level of an intercounty footballer but for someone on here to say he is just an average club player is ridiculous.

The Trap

Harte gets plenty of stick, sometimes fair and sometimes not. Think he was wrong on this occasion. Happiest people out of all of this will be the club managers of these players who will have extra motivation next year. I am sure the fellas themselves are happy enough to be out of the county set up concentrating on their REAL lives, enjoying their home life, building their careers and playing for the club.

The Golden Years

Mickey Harte wants his players to be his lap dogs, hanging off his every word. And if you disagree then you are the one with the problem. Fair play to Shea for speaking up for himself.  Why should a player be happy to sit on the bench waiting his turn which in his opinion wasnt coming.  Maybe if a few more players had bit more ambition than sitting on the bench of the county team thinking they are mighty then just maybe tyrone might have won a meaningful trophy this past 7 years.

BennyHarp

I think a manager has to manage the older players with plenty of miles on the clock just as much as managing those who are trying to break into the first team. Nobody has a right to a start in the 15 and coming to training and 'bursting your balls' as Shea said he was doing, is the bare minimum that is expected by any member of the squad. Unfortunately for Shea, whether or not you make the starting 15 is ultimately down to how you perform when you get the chance - he got enough chances and in the games I saw at least, he was exceptionally disappointing.

On another note, if Shea wants to compare commitment, then put his two or three years up against Joe's 12 or 13 and see who is the one with the most 'bursted balls'.
That was never a square ball!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: The Golden Years on December 15, 2015, 11:45:48 AM
Mickey Harte wants his players to be his lap dogs, hanging off his every word. And if you disagree then you are the one with the problem. Fair play to Shea for speaking up for himself.  Why should a player be happy to sit on the bench waiting his turn which in his opinion wasnt coming.  Maybe if a few more players had bit more ambition than sitting on the bench of the county team thinking they are mighty then just maybe tyrone might have won a meaningful trophy this past 7 years.

Show more ambition by walking away??

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 15, 2015, 11:49:36 AM
I think a manager has to manage the older players with plenty of miles on the clock just as much as managing those who are trying to break into the first team. Nobody has a right to a start in the 15 and coming to training and 'bursting your balls' as Shea said he was doing, is the bare minimum that is expected by any member of the squad. Unfortunately for Shea, whether or not you make the starting 15 is ultimately down to how you perform when you get the chance - he got enough chances and in the games I saw at least, he was exceptionally disappointing.

On another note, if Shea wants to compare commitment, then put his two or three years up against Joe's 12 or 13 and see who is the one with the most 'bursted balls'.

Am I not right in thinking Shay was only added to the panel in 2014, and left it midway through 2015, so he was only on the squad 18moths at most?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

ose 14

big joe walking straight in again with no serious training under his belt for club or county was an accident waiting to happen.horsing him out to do a warm up 6 days after an operation v monaghan that he still hasnt recovered from  5 months later says it all really. and you wonder why younger players feel they have no chance.leadership lacking big time, its easy to be hard on young players but proper leaders know its hard to be easy. if tyrone hadnt had their draw from heaven and instead been  dumped out against meath, i wonder if shay mcguigan would have more airtime, maybe the irish news would have been bothered to ring him rather than quote him directly from twitter to sell papers no less.

The Trap

Tyrone and Harte are putting a lot of pressure on themselves for 2016. Talk of promotion, winning Ulster and getting to an All Ireland Final..............they would need a very united camp to achieve all of that..........

Gaafan2

Quote from: The Trap on December 15, 2015, 02:03:11 PM
Tyrone and Harte are putting a lot of pressure on themselves for 2016. Talk of promotion, winning Ulster and getting to an All Ireland Final..............they would need a very united camp to achieve all of that..........

You'll find he stated either winning ulster or reaching an all Ireland final would be seen as progress from last year. Hes 100% correct and I believe he speaks for the majority of us in saying that. Promotion from division 2 should be a given for any Tyrone team in my opinion.

The Trap

Who are the "majority of us" gaafan?

BennyHarp

Quote from: The Trap on December 15, 2015, 02:50:43 PM
Who are the "majority of us" gaafan?

I assume he means the majority of Tyrone fans would see getting promoted back to division 1, winning an Ulster title and going one step further in the AI championship as being realistic, though challenging targets for this Tyrone team.

Do you not think these are reasonable targets to set for a team beaten in the previous years AI semi final?

If you think these are unrealistic then what targets would you set that you think are realistic and that you as a fan would be happy with?