Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 23, 2014, 09:32:56 PM
Just thought I'd take this post to this thread as it's more relevant here compared to talking about county minor football management...

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 23, 2014, 06:10:32 PM
Just out of interest have any of you got anything positive to say in general about tyrone gaa? County or club or just generally?

Maybe the feile at the weekend or something. Or maybe some signs of improvement in club fixtures this year. It's not July yet and half the games have been played plus a round in the intermediate and senior championships and reserve knockout and u21 underway.

I've no issues with criticism but it's all negativity on here these days.
I dunno, our Minors are down to play their league quarter final on Sunday evening at 7.30pm. Our seniors are also playing on the same night in the Junior Championship at 8.00pm!  ::)

I haven't got any other division on hand other than division 3, but despite the results archive being removed on the county site I have a list of how many league games we've played up to 22 June over the last six seasons...

2014 - 7 (albeit two other games postponed)
2013 - 6 (excluding bye round for us)
2012 - 8
2011 - 11
2010 - 8
2009 - 10

While they are going "ok" for now to a certain extent, I'd wait until nearer October/November before wherever we can say there has been a major improvement in fixture allocations especially as many of the complaints last year concerned scheduling after the July break.

That does sound like a joke regarding the minors, hopefully it gets sorted. You didn't exactly contribute anything positive there!

I thought there was some very good ties in the first round of the championship. Errigal clonoe was a good championship game with bit of controversy thrown in.

HealyHellRaiser

Lads Stephen O Neill playing for his club at the weekend is Brilliant its a pity a few others wouldnt stand up to mickey. He dictates everything and its a disgrace Every player should be digging the heels in and doing the same. On another note he is bringing in Conor mc kenna to the senior panel... for what may i ask? to bring a lad in who is heading to Aussie rules??? good one mickey 1 for the future there. Sad to say but mickey has lost it and the sooner he gets the boot the better. He is breaking his own rules by what he is at.

billabong

The Junior Championship rolls into town this weekend again providing a nice warm up to Tyrone and Louth on Saturday. Rock and Drumquin get the ball rolling on Thursday night in Newtownstewart, as the pitch has been recently reopened following development. I expect this to be a straight forward affair, especially with Martin McCreesh to the fore for the Rock. I would expect a spirited resistance up to half time from the Tones but expect their challenge from Liam Patterson and co to fade at that point.

The second game between Castlederg and Aghaloo should be a close tense affair. Castlederg showed signs of improvement in recent weeks but suffered defeat last week to neighbours Dregish. Aghaloo also sit on 9 points and have considerable championship pedigree, however I am going to call this one a draw, with Mark Corry's Derg side taking the replay.

A double header on Thursday night sees Drumragh and Killyman, another 2 sides scrapping for points open proceedings in Augher. No stangers to each other in the championship I expect Killyman to come through this with 3-4 points to spare.

The second match sees a real local derby with the clash of Dregish and Glenelly. Again 2 sides performing very poorly this year but that will have no bearing on Friday night. Dregish picked up their first win against Castlederg at the weekend whilst Glenelly are still awaiting their first victory. Expect a tight, edgy and at times niggily affair like their championship meeting a few years ago. Seamus Harkin has been their score getter this year and if he fails to have a good game Glenelly could be in bother. Dregish ooze experience through the likes of the McCrossans and Aidan O'Kane and will be buoyed by their first victory this year. Was going to call a Glenelly victory until I heard their captain Liam Nicholas had dislocated his shoulder at the weekend and is unavailable which will be major blow for them and tip the odds against them. If Dregish can nullify Harkin thay may win by a slender margin.

Clogher and Owen Roes get proceedings underway in Killyclogher on Sunday, and I expect a Roes victory here, as they did so last year as well. Cathal McShane is in fine form for the Glenmornan men and he will be too hot for the Eire Ogs to handle. Brendan Boggs adds considerable experience to the Owen Rose team and I actually see them as a dark horse for the championship. Rose by 5+

Finally its Errigal and Fintona, another close affair. Errigal have been surprise packets this year in the league whilst Fintona don't seem to have kicked on after reaching the promotion play offs last year. In saying that though I expect Niall Mellon and Aaron McCarney to have their shooting boots on and dispatch the Dunmoyle men by 3 points.

Redhand Santa

And who's to say McKenna will actually stay in Australia? Look at Kyle Coney and Kilkenny for example who were home within months. If McKenna can add anything to the squad I have no problem with him being called in. It might even help swing him towards staying if he had a good summer with Tyrone.

The criticsm of Harte is way over the top.

Under Lights

Quote from: billabong on June 24, 2014, 09:12:01 AM
The Junior Championship rolls into town this weekend again providing a nice warm up to Tyrone and Louth on Saturday. Rock and Drumquin get the ball rolling on Thursday night in Newtownstewart, as the pitch has been recently reopened following development. I expect this to be a straight forward affair, especially with Martin McCreesh to the fore for the Rock. I would expect a spirited resistance up to half time from the Tones but expect their challenge from Liam Patterson and co to fade at that point.

The second game between Castlederg and Aghaloo should be a close tense affair. Castlederg showed signs of improvement in recent weeks but suffered defeat last week to neighbours Dregish. Aghaloo also sit on 9 points and have considerable championship pedigree, however I am going to call this one a draw, with Mark Corry's Derg side taking the replay.

A double header on Thursday night sees Drumragh and Killyman, another 2 sides scrapping for points open proceedings in Augher. No stangers to each other in the championship I expect Killyman to come through this with 3-4 points to spare.

The second match sees a real local derby with the clash of Dregish and Glenelly. Again 2 sides performing very poorly this year but that will have no bearing on Friday night. Dregish picked up their first win against Castlederg at the weekend whilst Glenelly are still awaiting their first victory. Expect a tight, edgy and at times niggily affair like their championship meeting a few years ago. Seamus Harkin has been their score getter this year and if he fails to have a good game Glenelly could be in bother. Dregish ooze experience through the likes of the McCrossans and Aidan O'Kane and will be buoyed by their first victory this year. Was going to call a Glenelly victory until I heard their captain Liam Nicholas had dislocated his shoulder at the weekend and is unavailable which will be major blow for them and tip the odds against them. If Dregish can nullify Harkin thay may win by a slender margin.

Clogher and Owen Roes get proceedings underway in Killyclogher on Sunday, and I expect a Roes victory here, as they did so last year as well. Cathal McShane is in fine form for the Glenmornan men and he will be too hot for the Eire Ogs to handle. Brendan Boggs adds considerable experience to the Owen Rose team and I actually see them as a dark horse for the championship. Rose by 5+

Finally its Errigal and Fintona, another close affair. Errigal have been surprise packets this year in the league whilst Fintona don't seem to have kicked on after reaching the promotion play offs last year. In saying that though I expect Niall Mellon and Aaron McCarney to have their shooting boots on and dispatch the Dunmoyle men by 3 points.

Good post.

Norf Tyrone

Good summary.

Two things. Dregish were very good against us, despite us winning by 5. They had a plethora of wides that cost them badly, so I see them winning this one by 4-6 points. I believe against CNG, wides also cost them badly.

Secondly, it's "Roes".

:-)
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

billabong

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 24, 2014, 09:48:14 AM

Good summary.

Two things. Dregish were very good against us, despite us winning by 5. They had a plethora of wides that cost them badly, so I see them winning this one by 4-6 points. I believe against CNG, wides also cost them badly.

Secondly, it's "Roes".

:-)

Apologies Norf, it was nothing but a typo  ;D

What is the mood like in the camp-can you make a push for the championship?

Yes, Dregish results this year have not reflected their performances-can the same be said for Glenelly? What were they like against the Roes? Both sides played Drumquin recently and both drew which made me think it could be a tight affair but the supposed loss of Nicholas I thought would edge it towards Dregish?

nrico2006

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 24, 2014, 09:13:24 AM
And who's to say McKenna will actually stay in Australia? Look at Kyle Coney and Kilkenny for example who were home within months. If McKenna can add anything to the squad I have no problem with him being called in. It might even help swing him towards staying if he had a good summer with Tyrone.

The criticsm of Harte is way over the top.

Was thinking the same with regards to McKenna staying if he has a good summer.  I'm glad to see Tyrone for a change actually bring a talented minor through quickly instead of waiting a few years.  As for criticising Harte, I don't think it is over the top and I think one of the major issues is that he is seen as someone we shouldn't criticise no matter if its deserved/constructive or not.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

everymanaman

I think the double header in Augher is on Friday night. As for taking Dregish and Glenelly to Augher. Best not go down that route!

billabong

Quote from: everymanaman on June 24, 2014, 12:26:29 PM

I think the double header in Augher is on Friday night. As for taking Dregish and Glenelly to Augher. Best not go down that route!

You are right, it is Friday night. Thought the same re venue, Strabane, Newtownstewart, Gortin would have been more suitable I would have thought. Suppose the county board are looking at the money for double headers!

Under Lights

Errigal III and Fintona in Killyclogher- surly they could have swapped the Dregish Glenelly game with it.

billabong

Quote from: Under Lights on June 24, 2014, 01:15:22 PM
Errigal III and Fintona in Killyclogher- surly they could have swapped the Dregish Glenelly game with it.

Googled it there, both clubs are the guts of an hours drive from Augher. But I suppose it gives them the chance to go on the beer at the weekend-them Glenelly men are meant to be monsters for the sauce  ;D

tyroneboi

Similarly bring the rock and aghaloo to Newtownstewart for games against teams from up around that direction is a bit unfair as well.

everymanaman

See the Augher double header has been moved to Greencastle

laceer

Championship in Greencastle at 6.45 on a Friday evening. Wonderful consideration for anyone working in Belfast  ::)