Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Under Lights on October 28, 2013, 04:07:27 PM
Fair enough about Donaghmore for this season SkillfulBill. Although I think Omagh are safe now? I think it has come up here a lot recently that teams like Donaghmore, Greencastle, Trillick have all benefited from 'arranged' fixtures in the past. I would love to see these teams caught out and nailed for this. Automatic relegation or deducted points.

I actually think these teams would benefit with the drop to intermediate anyway. Maybe the chance of winning something and pushing on off the back of it.

PS The speed bumps in Donaghmore town should warrant relegation alone.

Don't like the whole fixing thing myself but I think the problem lies with the structure of the league.  I think there are 7-8 teams in div 1 well ahead of the rest and would like to see the re introduction of 4 div with 12 teams each. I think that would see an end to match fixing and ease the ccc's job with knocking out a few fixture weekends as well.

Under Lights

I was a fan of the 4 division system.
22 league games. Home and Away.
11 you were guaranteed your county men.
Another benefit of this means that you played your relegation rivals twice in a season- possible four points. If you were bottom at the end of the season you deserved to be.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Under Lights on October 28, 2013, 04:26:28 PM
Another benefit of this means that you played your relegation rivals twice in a season- possible four points. If you were bottom at the end of the season you deserved to be.

There you go simple solution to all tyrone club problems in one simple paragraph you have to wonder how hard the county board have to think  to make it as difficult as they do.

EC Unique

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on October 28, 2013, 04:13:42 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on October 28, 2013, 03:49:01 PM
As an Errigal man I know nothing about going down. Wife is non too pleased! :P

Aye but in fairness your wife has had Moy, Trillick and Cookstown men all go down on her. Buy her a razor for the Donaghmore men.

My wife would not let relegation fodder near her!

redhandloo

Completely agree. Starred games would then be less of an issue. Clubs could be given dates well in advance.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

rrhf

Quote from: EC Unique on October 28, 2013, 05:13:07 PM
Quote from: Moortown Spuds on October 28, 2013, 04:13:42 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on October 28, 2013, 03:49:01 PM
As an Errigal man I know nothing about going down. Wife is non too pleased! :P

Aye but in fairness your wife has had Moy, Trillick and Cookstown men all go down on her. Buy her a razor for the Donaghmore men.

My wife would not let relegation fodder near her!
Sure about that? ;)

Redhand Santa

Quote from: SkillfulBill on October 28, 2013, 04:49:57 PM

There you go simple solution to all tyrone club problems in one simple paragraph you have to wonder how hard the county board have to think  to make it as difficult as they do.

The only problem it will solve is to give regular fixtures during the summer. It won't solve the current problem. It will lead to one more game with county players available so will make it harder to complete the league. It will also make it even more unfair on teams with county players. 14 more points would be up for grab in starred games. To me this would be an unfair system. It would also disadvantage Tyrone in junior and intermediate ulster comps.

To me the current system is ok but the games need arranged better. At least one round of championship should be played earlier ensure teams aren't out 4 weeks in a row. The league could possibly be started earlier and a few double round of fixtures in a week arranged like used to be the case. It might only take one or 2 Thursday Sunday combinations and everyone would be aware of them months in advance. It could be increased depending on tyrones u21 or national league progress. This would ensure the leagues could easily be completed on time.

During the summer 1 or 2 remaining starred games could be played. And I'd bring back a cup competition on Friday nights to keep everyone active. It could be split by 4 4s for each division with quarters semi and final. I'm sure players would prefer it to training and would leave the weekend free. It could even be to 2 cups of 24 teams to mix it up. The reserves league an championship could be played on Saturdays during the summer ensuring players weren't waiting about for nothing.

This way everyone would know in advance the schedule for the year with it being assumed county players aren't available during the summer but there still being regular football and the season completed by mid October. The only issue would be if Tyrone got to the final which would mess up the championship but would just have to be worked around.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 28, 2013, 07:01:27 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on October 28, 2013, 04:49:57 PM

The only problem it will solve is to give regular fixtures during the summer. It won't solve the current problem. It will lead to one more game with county players available so will make it harder to complete the league. It will also make it even more unfair on teams with county players. 14 more points would be up for grab in starred games. To me this would be an unfair system. It would also disadvantage Tyrone in junior and intermediate ulster comps.

To me the current system is ok but the games need arranged better. At least one round of championship should be played earlier ensure teams aren't out 4 weeks in a row. The league could possibly be started earlier and a few double round of fixtures in a week arranged like used to be the case. It might only take one or 2 Thursday Sunday combinations and everyone would be aware of them months in advance. It could be increased depending on tyrones u21 or national league progress. This would ensure the leagues could easily be completed on time.

During the summer 1 or 2 remaining starred games could be played. And I'd bring back a cup competition on Friday nights to keep everyone active. It could be split by 4 4s for each division with quarters semi and final. I'm sure players would prefer it to training and would leave the weekend free. It could even be to 2 cups of 24 teams to mix it up. The reserves league an championship could be played on Saturdays during the summer ensuring players weren't waiting about for nothing.

This way everyone would know in advance the schedule for the year with it being assumed county players aren't available during the summer but there still being regular football and the season completed by mid October. The only issue would be if Tyrone got to the final which would mess up the championship but would just have to be worked around.
i agree with most of that except for the introduction of the cup competitions again.
The last thing we need is more games, and meaningless ones at that.

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Redhand Santa

I think one of the big complaints has been the inactivity for club players during the league. There are 2 ways of solving it assuming Tyrone have a good run during the summer, One is to play away with the leagues. In my opinion too many starred games is unfair on clubs with county players. It will also lead to increased pressure on players who who want o play for their county in terms of being pressurised to pull out. It also devalues the league somewhat.

The only alternative for me is another competition preferably on Friday nights during the summer. As I said you'd have to imagine the players would prefer it to inactivity and Friday nights would still leave their weekend free. Maybe the semi finalists could get 2 league points a finalist 3 and the winner 4 to make it more competitive. Or it could 2 tournaments of 24 to ensure games against different teams.

It would be too hard to start now but some kind of divisional or parish tournament would be great during the summer to keep players active and give players a chance to play at a higher level.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 28, 2013, 08:23:06 PM
I'd argue that the starred game system under the old four divisions is actually fairer than the current set up. At least under the old four divisions you were guaranteed to face every team in your division at least once with the strongest panel that you had available where as now you could play a third of your games without your county representatives and the teams you meet you may not face each other again until next year. No starred system of games will be perfect but at least under the four divisions you had guaranteed big ties in the league unaffected by county player availability.

Cup competitions under the current senior club format won't happen. When they were about a few years ago too many clubs simply weren't interested. Too much empathises is now on championship and championship status with coaches & managers as well as some players and club officials not caring about anything else. We had the scenario a few years ago of a senior cup final between Clonoe and Carrickmore not played until several months into the next year, for example.

I think it's now time to have a radical think about how adult club competitions in the county are now organised. If we are to ensure that county players are available for all league games, the only realistic way to do this is with 12 team divisions in a single round robin (like in Kerry & Mayo) unless you want the strong possibility of the season not finishing until at least mid-November most years. It's simply not good enough for reserve players to be sitting on their hands for weeks during some of the best time of the year for playing with no games fixed. It's arguably not good for non-county playing senior players either. What I spoke about a couple of years ago I don't think has really changed much. With Tyrone now going to be a part of the Ulster & All-Ireland series at least into every July each year (bar a disastrous run) it's going to have to come to the point that unless clubs themselves want to starve their players of games, they're going to have to accept that they will not necessarily have county reps available for every competitive game during the year.

I just don't see how creating a system were teams have to play for 50 per cent of points without their best players is better the current system of a third of the points. In terms of the cup competitions they'd have set dates during the summer. The awarding of limited points depending on the stage you reach could also help to ensure competitiveness.

You could even award 1 point for coming 3rd in group, 2 points for quarter finalists finishing in top 2, 3 points for reaching semis,4 for beaten finalists and 5 for the winner. Or something like that. Would ensure all games should be competitive, give regular summer football and at the same time not disadvantage teams with county men to extremely. There'd be a trophy at end of it too and give it some meaning. Also the reserve games could run away on Saturday evenings getting it completed much earlier.

Boghopper

What about six divisions 1a b 2 a b 3 a b, each team plays each other twice equalling 14 games home and away. 1A AND B compete at senior etc etc. One team relegated one team promoted. The only problem is what to do with championship winners.

rrhf

Under Lights

Is there any reason why the final two fixtures in Division 3 haven't been fixed yet?
What's the hold up here?

Club Rossa

hugh the root,the sad thing is that the CCC have refused to act on McCallions behaviour at last year's final.He shouldn't have been allowed to referee again.
I was talking to a few Clonoe boys on Sunday night who said he was very lucky to leave Cookstown unscathed last Sunday.

hugh the root

Club Rossa,The dogs in the street know that Ciaran McLaughlin and his merry band have an agenda against teams in the east.That is why numbskull Mc Callion is being handed these games.Any game he is involved in is talked about for weeks after.I Dont know how he escaped punishment for the way he treated you minor team last year considering it was highlighted in the local press.The management committee of the Tyrone County Board need to take a long hard look at themselves.Whenever you have the county chairman campaigning to not give their votes to yer woman Jordan from Eglish,the whole system stinks.Flush all the sewers out and bring in decent people to get Tyrone football a bit of respect back.