Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trap

This is what the recent changes (last 2 years) will mean for club football in Tyrone in 2018:

County minors are not allowed to play for the club seniors until Tyrone are beat in minor championship (somewhere between end of May and end of August)
County minors are not allowed to train with the club at minor or senior level for the same period
17 year olds are not allowed to play for the club seniors/reserves
County Under 20s will be preparing for a summer championship match thus not training with the club and probably missing games for friendlies etc at the managers wishes.
County seniors will be playing O'Fiach Cup, McKenna Cup, National League, Ulster Championship and Super 8s if they qualify as expected. All of this has to be squeezed in by end of August.
In Tyrone there are usually 5 starred games to accommodate county players and they then play the rest of the club league games. Where are these club games going to be fitted into a compressed schedule? There wont be much of a gap between end of league and start of Ulster championship and between Ulster championship games and then on to qualifiers/super 8s.
The answer is there will be very little if any opportunity to play for the club.

For people who say that these proposals will help club football I think you don't understand the reality of the situation. Personally I have no time for the county scene any more but I know lots of people who go to county games that have no allegiance to any club. The fixtures makers in Tyrone already have a nightmare, we don't know the dates of any league or championship matches in any divisions and normally don't know what is happening from one week to the next. 2018 is going to be an absolute nightmare and it is only when we are going through it that people will realise the extent of the problem.

Anybody who can come back to me during/after the 2018 club season in Tyrone and can tell me any different to the nightmare scenario above I will be glad to say I was wrong.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: The Trap on February 28, 2017, 12:45:19 PM
This is what the recent changes (last 2 years) will mean for club football in Tyrone in 2018:

County minors are not allowed to play for the club seniors until Tyrone are beat in minor championship (somewhere between end of May and end of August)
County minors are not allowed to train with the club at minor or senior level for the same period
County Under 20s will be preparing for a summer championship match thus not training with the club and probably missing games for friendlies etc at the managers wishes.
County seniors will be playing O'Fiach Cup, McKenna Cup, National League, Ulster Championship and Super 8s if they qualify as expected. All of this has to be squeezed in by end of August.
In Tyrone there are usually 5 starred games to accommodate county players and they then play the rest of the club league games. Where are these club games going to be fitted into a compressed schedule? There wont be much of a gap between end of league and start of Ulster championship and between Ulster championship games and then on to qualifiers/super 8s.
The answer is there will be very little if any opportunity to play for the club.

For people who say that these proposals will help club football I think you don't understand the reality of the situation. Personally I have no time for the county scene any more but I know lots of people who go to county games that have no allegiance to any club. The fixtures makers in Tyrone already have a nightmare, we don't know the dates of any league or championship matches in any divisions and normally don't know what is happening from one week to the next. 2018 is going to be an absolute nightmare and it is only when we are going through it that people will realise the extent of the problem.

Anybody who can come back to me during/after the 2018 club season in Tyrone and can tell me any different to the nightmare scenario above I will be glad to say I was wrong.

There wont be any county minor football next season (it'll be u17) so that won't be an issue. But the rest of the things will be.

Something radical is going to have to be done to get games played. I suggested in the super 8's thread a proposal which reduced county players game time to 7 games (maximum of 10). Some system has to be used to have less games with them or the average club player will be sitting about for months. I'd have some form of competition without the county players from April to August. If clubs don't buy into it there'll be very little football played.

Redhand Santa

One of the worst decisions of all was to scrap the u21 competition in March/April and replace it with a summer u20 competition.

smort

Quote from: LeoMc on February 27, 2017, 10:04:08 PM
Quote from: leenie on February 27, 2017, 08:14:46 PM
Quote from: bigloudmouth on February 22, 2017, 06:58:57 PM
Gaeil Naomh Padraig have three teams in their amalgamation - is this at u14 and u18?
And is it allowed to have have three teams together and a three team amalgamation be entered in to grade 4?????
Smacks of the magpie - chasing a bit of silver!!!!

Dunno where you got ur info.. but you are incorrect. Gael Noamh padraig is Augher and Clogher.
is St Macartans the name used when all 3 amalgamate?

I know when my club have played against Gael Noamh Padraig that eskra cubs have been playing. Don't think eskra have any underage teams.

When you look at it it doesn't bode well for the future of these clubs when the 3 of them together can only field in grade 4

Bring back club football

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 28, 2017, 12:50:53 PM

There wont be any county minor football next season (it'll be u17) so that won't be an issue. But the rest of the things will be.

Something radical is going to have to be done to get games played. I suggested in the super 8's thread a proposal which reduced county players game time to 7 games (maximum of 10). Some system has to be used to have less games with them or the average club player will be sitting about for months. I'd have some form of competition without the county players from April to August. If clubs don't buy into it there'll be very little football played.

Santa is right that cubs u18 can play club minor football in 2018 but not co so that means that progression of a co minor (u17) team in 2018 shouldn't stop club senior fixtures going ahead. But the new rules will. New rules is great for county senior manager. They'll have full control till the county is out !!!!!! Everyone involved in the GAA should be ashamed it's been let come till this !!!!!

LeoMc

Is there an actual ban on u-17's training with their club underage teams or is this a projection

On your next point is it a ban on 17 year olds (u-18's) or a ban under u-17's playing Senior? I have no issue with the latter.

As for the u-20's, the wrong competition was moved. It should have been Sigerson moved to take the pressure off that age group.

Mikhailov

Quote from: LeoMc on February 28, 2017, 03:15:17 PM

Is there an actual ban on u-17's training with their club underage teams or is this a projection

On your next point is it a ban on 17 year olds (u-18's) or a ban under u-17's playing Senior? I have no issue with the latter.

As for the u-20's, the wrong competition was moved. It should have been Sigerson moved to take the pressure off that age group.

I believe U17's can train with their clubs if they are not on the county minor panel - if they are on the county panel then they are not allowed. County minor train on monday, thursday and saturday - where does this leave time for the club minor team to train? Most senior teams train on tuesday and friday so basically they are left with Wednesday as the club night if the club only has 1 pitch with lights....

Club boi

Quote from: Club boi on February 08, 2017, 10:57:57 PM
Quote from: PMG1 on February 02, 2017, 08:50:31 PM
I see there is a vote at the next county board meeting to change the league format to four divisions of 12 playing home and away, 22 games 11 of which are with all players, 4 points a win and the other 11 starred with 2 points for a win, straight forward league no semi's or final, top team wins. What is everyone's thoughts

I hear this proposal has been sent to all Chairpersons and will be voted on soon for Next Year

4 Leagues of 12
11 starred games worth 2 points a Win
11 games with full quota of county players worth 4 points a Win

I believe the Proposal Guarantees 4 Club Games in May, 4 Games in June, 4 Games in July and possibly August

I think it could work. It's what the Clubs want and MORE IMPORTANTLY NEEDA - GAMES

This proposal sounds slightly more appealing now Trap, especially if it guarantees Games during the summer

PMG1

Quote from: LeoMc on February 28, 2017, 03:15:17 PM

There is no ban on county U17's or U18's training or playing with their club, our county lads haven't missed a club session yet

youhavenofans

A Chara,

Congress

On Saturday the GAA Congress passed the Super 8 Motion. It will have far reaching effects for your season irrespective of whether you play one code or both, or the level at which you play. Despite the Super 8 decision made by Congress, our campaign to Fix the Fixtures will continue unbowed, undiminished and with renewed determination.

More than ever we believe a Thinktank and proper forum is a priority to fully address the GAA Fixtures programme. Saturday's proceedings have also raised issues about the level of club player engagement and players' understanding of the decision making process.

The events at Congress have shown many of our players the way in which the GAA structures work in practice. With responsibility comes accountability.

For your information see here for links to YouTube coverage of the Congress debates:

New All Ireland Football Championship format voted in at Congress: https://youtu.be/LxYIcCJMEuY

GAA Congress 2017 (Tune in at 5 hours, 24 minutes for CPA Recognition Motion): https://youtu.be/7xWltbzSM70

What Next?

The CPA campaign continues. We believe it is not who's right but what's right.

Membership

Since Saturday, 3000 players have joined the CPA. It is important that we continue to build our membership as the representative body for Club Players. We now encourage you to bring more members to the CPA. Our simple objective is this. We are asking every member to recruit two additional players.

Engagement

Committees are not for everyone. But the GAA works through the committee process. Our message is straightforward. Get involved. Engage your representatives. Join your club committee. Ask questions of club and county officials. Which way did they vote on Saturday and why. If the proposals weren't discussed in your club or your team, ask the question, why not?

A Voice for Club Players

We will continue to work with the GAA authorities. We are all members of the same Association and we all have the right to have our voice heard.  It is the CPA that have kept the GAA fixtures issue in the spotlight in recent weeks. We pledge to continue to do that on your behalf and to make sure you understand fully how to make your voice heard and your opinion count. We'll be in touch again soon!

Is mise

Micheál Briody

Chairperson

Club Player Association (CPA) first email to its subscribers

Tyrone Gaa

No talk on here regarding tomorrow nights championship draws!!  Looking forward to a few good draws hopefully
Living the dream!!!

EastTyrone

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on March 06, 2017, 04:10:06 PM
No talk on here regarding tomorrow nights championship draws!!  Looking forward to a few good draws hopefully

Coalisland V Clonoe again hopefully

WT4E

I take it will be on teamtalk radio

Tyrone Gaa

Haven't seen team talk advertise that they are broadcasting.  Few draws I would like to see

Errigal v Killyclogher (part 3)
Dromore v Trillick
Coalisland v Clonoe (Agreeing with the post above)

Moy v Dungannon (Kelly v Rouse)
Living the dream!!!

Club boi

They always like "throwing" together a few tasty games, along with the usual Carmen always getting the easier options, while certain teams always get a repeat draw like Killyclogher/Errigal, Omagh/Clonoe, Dromore/Ardboe