Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Apart from the difficulty planning holidays caused by county football the rest are part and parcel of any sport and enjoyment, comraderie etc far far outweighs them. Time spent away from girlfriends? ffs! studies and careers disrupted and I see top players graduating all over the place. I hear no players crying about club sacrifices... they cant wait for the season to start..       

Red Hand Man

I never said the enjoyment didn't override the sacrifices involved.

You claimed there were no sacrifices.  There are.

Of course many players graduated / are successful professionally.  This is down in spite of their commitment to football, and they deserve credit.

Of course being away from your significant other is a sacrifice.

To state that club players don't make sacrifices in order to play is incredibly naive.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: time ticking away on April 22, 2015, 12:30:59 PM
There are loads of problems with the inter county season, the fact that an inter county league of 8 teams (7 games), took 10 weekends  to run off being the most obvious. The inter county log jam will not be sorted anytime soon as there is no appetite to do so at Central council, despite the election rhetoric of past and current presidents. Therefore it is important that the Tyrone clubs problem, is sorted out by the Tyrone county board as they will not be getting help from the master planner.
How this is done is obviously extremely difficult. The club leagues are massively important to the majority of clubs (div2 and div3) especially but the championship is still everyone's dream. To ask players to train from January until October/November for possibly only one championship game in May is unfair. For people to say its great to have sudden death championship games as a supporter, it's not so great for 50% of the players whom make the sacrifices

As a player, I can say that I much prefer the sudden death championship, it makes it what it is, and makes it so hard to win.
Some people win, some people lose, thats the nature of sport.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 22, 2015, 01:40:11 PM
There are loads of problems with the inter county season, the fact that an inter county league of 8 teams (7 games), took 10 weekends  to run off being the most obvious. The inter county log jam will not be sorted anytime soon as there is no appetite to do so at Central council, despite the election rhetoric of past and current presidents. Therefore it is important that the Tyrone clubs problem, is sorted out by the Tyrone county board as they will not be getting help from the master planner.
How this is done is obviously extremely difficult. The club leagues are massively important to the majority of clubs (div2 and div3) especially but the championship is still everyone's dream. To ask players to train from January until October/November for possibly only one championship game in May is unfair. For people to say its great to have sudden death championship games as a supporter, it's not so great for 50% of the players whom make the sacrifices

As a player, I can say that I much prefer the sudden death championship, it makes it what it is, and makes it so hard to win.

I agree, but your are ignoring one undeniable point, with the back door as with the traditional route, it still leads you to the same place of having to play the sudden death games. You seem to not be able to realise that.

The Bearded One

To play more championship games i.e. a back door system we would have to reduce the number of league games.

So does that mean going back to the old 1A/1B system with 24 Senior clubs, 12 in Intermediate and 12 in Junior (13 really with Errigal thirds).
Play the 11 leagues first to determine seeding for championship.

Then have groups of 4:
Senior would have 6 x 4 groups with the top 2 qualifying into an open draw with 4 prelim rounds and four teams going straight into quarter finals.
Intermediate would have 3 x 4 groups with the top 2 qualifying into an open draw with 2 prelim rounds and 2 teams going straight to quarter finals.
Juniors would take a bit more organising due to the uneven number.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Legoman5

Havin a back door for championship in my opinon is bullsh*t, when do we never have an exciting champiohship as it is anyway no matter what quality of oppition is left in it! the thrill of watching a lesser team upset the odds is what its all about!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on April 22, 2015, 01:46:05 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 22, 2015, 01:40:11 PM

I agree, but your are ignoring one undeniable point, with the back door as with the traditional route, it still leads you to the same place of having to play the sudden death games. You seem to not be able to realise that.

So what is the advantage of the back door system then?
We already have enough games in the calendar for club players, the problem is getting them played in some sort of regular and  structured format.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

longballin

I very rarely if ever hear club players complain that they have to make sacrifices... they love their playing days and miss it big time when they are over... any competitive sport involves 'sacrifice'   

Red Hand Man

Where did I say that they complain about the sacrifices required?

I simply replied to your statement that they don't make sacrifices, which is nonsense.

Tommo2

Quote from: longballin on April 22, 2015, 02:13:25 PM
I very rarely if ever hear club players complain that they have to make sacrifices... they love their playing days and miss it big time when they are over... any competitive sport involves 'sacrifice'

Your a tube

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on April 22, 2015, 11:33:14 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 22, 2015, 11:10:40 AM
Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on April 22, 2015, 10:32:57 AM
If the 1st rd of championship is to continue being in May, it should have a back door, cant have 50% of our clubs out of championship whilst every other county in Ulster have looked after their clubs and ensured they are involved until August. this cannot be good for our long term player development, but more importantly, its not good for clubs having the main focus of the season taken away from them 8 weeks into the club season.
But if the championship was to start in August after 75% of league games played a straight knockout.

I think we all agree that the current problems all exist due to the prolonged county fixtures and the desire to maximise income.

I really cant believe some people are suggesting we introduce a back door system.

Not only would in take away from the much admired intensity & competitivness of our current championship, surely it would create further fixture issues with far more rounds of games to play and fit into the calendar somewhere  :-\

Did you read anything that I posted?

I did, I just dont agree with you

I dont think we should have a backdoor in the championship regardless of when it's played.
Forthe 50% of clubs that are knocked out of the champiosnhip, well thats unfortunate, I have been part of that 50% myself on many an occasion, but you just get on with league football then.
Its not like all football stops in May for these clubs, there are still plenty of games and relegation/promotion etc to focus on.
The fact that you or your club chooses not to take these games seriously, is up to you, but taht shouldnt really be a consideration for planning fixtures.

longballin

BennyHarp

From Teamtalkmag.com http://teamtalkmag.com/2015/04/poll-should-club-games-go-ahead/

POLL RESULT | Should Club Games Go Ahead?
Gaelic-football   

Plenty of differing views around Tyrone circles this evening after the Tyrone CCC confirmed that the All County Leagues would proceed this weekend. That leaves the under 21 players seven days to prepare for the All Ireland final.

Here at Teamtalk we thought that we would run a straw poll to garner opinion on whether or not the games involving the Tyrone U21 players should proceed.  Here's your chance to have your say.

Should the club games involving the Tyrone U21 players go ahead at the weekend?

Poll Results Total (3175)

Yes 24% (762)

No 76% (2413)
That was never a square ball!!

The Bearded One

I'm still not convinced that this weekends fixtures will go ahead.
It is what it is. Presumably.

longballin

Putting these young players in an unfair dilemma. It's an Ireland final the biggest game some of them will ever play in not like a Ulster first or second round or a back door game..