Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trap

I agree with Red Hand Man - if they try and force championship games in May all club players should stand together and refuse to play!

Redhand Santa

As I said I think its fair for the u21 management to ask for their players to be given the week of. They're in charge of the team and its a massive game and if they feel that's whats best for their preparation its a fair enough request. Ideally I think the games should still have went ahead without them as it inconveniences to many clubs. And if they weren't going ahead they should have been called of last Sunday. There is to little communication around fixtures currently and the county board have to step up.

I don't think in a lot of counties the u21s would have played this weekend. We certainly are a lot better of in terms of county players compared to many other counties. The Armagh boys went on a training weekend 2 months ahead of the championship and didn't play in the first league games. I don't suspect they'll play in that many.

I think we have to accept in Tyrone that county players won't play every game if we're going to get regular games. I really think my suggestion above of county boys playing 10 games (7 league games in a 8 team section and knockout games) or so for their clubs each year which are the one's determing the championship and a separate league with regular games for all players would be a good way forward. Teams with a few county boys would accept better dropping a division to one which is better suited to them when county players unavailable if they knew it wouldn't effect their championship status.

Everyone wants regular games for club teams and at the same time the majority like to see the county doing well. Its good for the game locally and its good for our better players. Therefore something has to be done to work round this. Many on here who complain offer little alternatives.

Norf Tyrone

This could've been done back in March.

In fairness the fixtures had scenarios for the U21s getting to the Ulster final. They should've had scenarios for them reaching the All Ireland final as well. This week's fixtures were confirmed on Sunday night, and I know a few guys turned down shifts for this weekend with a game on. These shifts are now filled, and they are out of pocket.

It's great that the U21s get a week- although I don't agree with the decision, but see the argument.

However next weekend the U21s play on Saturday evening, and then Clubs are out early Sunday (1.30pm) for us. So no 7 days preparation for the Club team.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Sunny Day

I think games should have went ahead with a ruling that no U21 player was to play any part in the games.  Regular club football must continue, its critical for the development of players within clubs and eventually it develops the players to go through to county level.  Club Championship must and should go ahead as planned in May.  We can't continue to have the Tyrone Championship played over a couple of weekends between September and October.  It only degrades the competition and belittles the club player.  Is there club league games scheduled for next weekend or are they going to be called off as well for the recovery of the U21 players?  There has been alot of training done by the club player from most likely December to now (5 Months) with only 2 games played. Its a little unfair to say the least. 

Red Hand Man

Quote from: Sunny Day on April 23, 2015, 11:33:26 AM
I think games should have went ahead with a ruling that no U21 player was to play any part in the games.  Regular club football must continue, its critical for the development of players within clubs and eventually it develops the players to go through to county level.  Club Championship must and should go ahead as planned in May.  We can't continue to have the Tyrone Championship played over a couple of weekends between September and October.  It only degrades the competition and belittles the club player.  Is there club league games scheduled for next weekend or are they going to be called off as well for the recovery of the U21 players?  There has been alot of training done by the club player from most likely December to now (5 Months) with only 2 games played. Its a little unfair to say the least.

Nonsense.  All we are talking about here is one extra weekend.  Championship would be run from some time in August through September and early October.

As pointed out previously, Omagh had 5 weeks last year before their Ulster club game.

The alternative is to have clubs playing their championship game after 3 league games and 1 starred game.  The 3 league games were, for many, without the under 21s.

Then we have 50% of our players with no championship from May.

Grossly unfair.

The Bearded One

Any teams looking a challenge game this weekend??!
It is what it is. Presumably.

Sunny Day

If the Club Championship is not played in May when is it practically possible to play the 1st round?  Despite what we might think about the Tyrone Senior team they have a decent chance of playing football into August.  Given that this would be the case,  what date is practically possible to play the 1st round in all honesty?. . . . . .  With regards to the league games,  in order for teams to stop 'throwing' points, as everyone on this board speaks about, at the end of the year,  league games must be played off irrespective of county player availability.  The purpose of the league is to give continuous, consistent football to a Club Senior and Reserve Team.  No point playing 45-60% of the games in the summer months and play the remaining large % in Oct, Nov and Dec when the life blood of the league has been sucked out of it.

If Senior Championship is not played in May for example then no reserve championship is played until a 1st round is completed.  Most likely late Sept or early Oct before reserve championship kicks off.  A fringe club player (just out of minor football) who trains from December 2014 for example wont play a reserve championship game until October 2015 most likely.  There is no development of players in that scenerio.  But most likely reserve football may not be important enough, but it is a citical link between youth football (U18's) for transition to senior football.  With no football the fringe player loses interest and drifts away.

I dont blame the CCC here,  its again a national problem that needs sorted as soon as possible before rural clubs begin to melt away with lack of partipication. 

redhandloo

Lots of great arguments here.  From the perspective of a small club, like ourselves, with an under 21 player, the games had to be called off.  We have started both our first two league games without him.  We physically don't have the numbers/quality to do this.  It's fine and dandy for Div. 1 clubs to claim the moral high ground by saying that it's only one match.  For us, it increases the likelihood that we can't field a reserve team.  I for one am glad to see a postponement and wish the under 21s all the very best.  Far too much anti-county teeam agendas out there at the minute.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

laceer

The needs of 30 county under 21s are more important than the needs of 500+ club players. Why couldn't the games not involving under 21s go ahead?

Saying it's a national problem doesn't mask the fact that not one fcuk is given about the club player in Tyrone. That's why people are turned off from supporting the county. They're fed up being treated as an after thought.

Under Lights

Quote from: redhandloo on April 23, 2015, 12:18:49 PM
Lots of great arguments here.  From the perspective of a small club, like ourselves, with an under 21 player, the games had to be called off.  We have started both our first two league games without him.  We physically don't have the numbers/quality to do this.  It's fine and dandy for Div. 1 clubs to claim the moral high ground by saying that it's only one match.  For us, it increases the likelihood that we can't field a reserve team.  I for one am glad to see a postponement and wish the under 21s all the very best.  Far too much anti-county teeam agendas out there at the minute.

Think the main seethe arises from the fact that it took till Wednesday to inform the clubs. Arrangements have been made.

Reserves should go ahead every week. Get that league and championship wrapped up. 720 (min) reserve players play no football this weekend due to county fixtures lolololololololololol
lololololol

Red Hand Man

That's definitely a fair point.

longballin

sad to say but are many club players and members were glad to see Tyrone out of the championship last year to get the club championship going... clubs treated so badly on fixtures led to that attitude

Onthe40

Are the ccc going to call off next weekends fixtures as well?
Lets be honest if the 21s win next sat nite they are in big time celebration mode and rightly so. How many will play for their clubs the following day and if they do what will they actually contribute?

Red Hand Man

Next weeks games are going ahead. Sunday only, and not the original Friday nights games.

Christmas Lights

Why cant the club games just go ahead on Saturday with the under 21's playing?  Is a weekend away really necessary?  Whos funding this magical weekend away? 

If the 21's play for clubs this Saturday, as per pre-arranged fixtures, they have a week to the All Ireland final?  Plenty of time between IMO.  The CCC and others seem to be taking a lot of stick from people on here but what about Fergal Logan et al? The Tyrone Under 21 management have backed the fixtures planners into a corner by declaring, only the other day, that they where taking the players to La Manga for the weekend.  There had never been any mention of a weekend away before?  Maybe it was only decided by them after the Roscommon game?  They knew by doing this that the fixture planners would have to cancel the games because no way are some clubs going to play games with their under 21 players.  Its the same bully boy tactics employed by the under 21 management that they employed after the Ulster final where it is "rumoured" that any under 21 player who played for the clubs on the weekend following the Ulster final, would be discarded from the panel.  I don't know how true that is but it is "rumoured" and also, one or two mentioned it on this very forum a few pages back.

The fixture planners cant win.  I can see a day they throw their head and go fook this.  Do they even get paid anything for this?  Seems to be a nightmare job.  I have some sympathy.  The under 21 management basically called the shots this week on the club fixtures.