Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 03, 2014, 08:40:46 AM
Quote from: The Beard on November 03, 2014, 12:34:03 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on November 02, 2014, 10:38:16 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 02, 2014, 09:56:27 PM
I wouldn't say that has anything to do with it. Cross, IMO, are better than the rest of the clubs in Ulster - but not that much better. Today, they were a point up, lost two players and were beaten by 2 points. Fine margins.
I wasn't doubting Cross ability, they are a fantastic team, they are strong physical, they play great direct football and do the simple things well but it appears that in Armagh the opposition are beat before they go onto the field. Omagh looked the same for 20 minutes but that was more that Cross were taking their chances. No matter how well prepped you are that has to seep in, they have to be thinking these boys aren't up for it, we have it won.

Omagh were immense and fully deserved their victory on what I saw however they would admit that a few things went their way but that is football and fair dues to them for taking full advantage. Cross missing AK was a big loss, then Kyle Carragher after 5 minutes also a big loss but in saying that Omagh deserve great credit for coming from 7 down with 25 left to win and in the end all the play was from Omagh who finished very strong. The free against Clarke at a critical time was a very strange call and could have had a say in the final result. Omagh had big games from Meyler, Tierney, Justy McMahon and Conan Grugan in 2nd half. Just a few observations - 1. Omagh look to have bulked up big time all over the park. 2. Ronie O'Neill looks badly out of shape for a player of his quality 3. Why the poor crowd 4. Omagh could win Ulster 5. Tyrone losing early has certainly helped them this year

cross are a fine team and credit for their record. Out of the last 9yrs have still win 6 ulster titles. I don't believe though that if they were in tyrone or down championship they would have won 18 out of 19. still think they would be one of the better teams if not probably the best but they would be caught out more often than they are in armagh. if that was an armagh team that went 7 down today it would be game over. maybe cross thought it was too.

on todays game. really enjoyable game to watch. cross stronger in first half and omagh looked out of sorts. took them a while to get going which it has done all year but thought they maybe left too much to do. but the winning of the game was holding cross scoreless for over 30mins. very impressive defending. justy & gallagher marshalled defence very well. mullan and no5 excellent as well. can't remember cross forwards winning any easy ball out in front in second half at all really. thought barry tierney was wasted marking clarke and omagh management made a good call to switch him with gallagher to free him up and leave gallagher on clarke. up front RON led line perfectly aswell. very impressive second half.

Omagh were immense and fully deserved their victory on what I saw however they would admit that a few things went their way but that is football and fair dues to them for taking full advantage. Cross missing AK was a big loss, then Kyle Carragher after 5 minutes also a big loss but in saying that Omagh deserve great credit for coming from 7 down with 25 left to win and in the end all the play was from Omagh who finished very strong. The free against Clarke at a critical time was a very strange call and could have had a say in the final result. Omagh had big games from Meyler, Tierney, Justy McMahon and Conan Grugan in 2nd half. Just a few observations - 1. Omagh look to have bulked up big time all over the park. 2. Ronie O'Neill looks badly out of shape for a player of his quality 3. Why the poor crowd 4. Omagh could win Ulster 5. Tyrone losing early has certainly helped them this year

blewuporstuffed

Clarkes booking certainly was very strange/harsh, but i thought he got a couple of other very soft ones awarded to him throughout the game.
I dont think cross could have any complaints about the two sendings off.
Fair play to omagh anyway, I would like to see them go on and win it now.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Up The Middle

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 03, 2014, 09:08:37 AM
I wouldn't say that has anything to do with it. Cross, IMO, are better than the rest of the clubs in Ulster - but not that much better. Today, they were a point up, lost two players and were beaten by 2 points. Fine margins.
I wasn't doubting Cross ability, they are a fantastic team, they are strong physical, they play great direct football and do the simple things well but it appears that in Armagh the opposition are beat before they go onto the field. Omagh looked the same for 20 minutes but that was more that Cross were taking their chances. No matter how well prepped you are that has to seep in, they have to be thinking these boys aren't up for it, we have it won.

cross are a fine team and credit for their record. Out of the last 9yrs have still win 6 ulster titles. I don't believe though that if they were in tyrone or down championship they would have won 18 out of 19. still think they would be one of the better teams if not probably the best but they would be caught out more often than they are in armagh. if that was an armagh team that went 7 down today it would be game over. maybe cross thought it was too.

on todays game. really enjoyable game to watch. cross stronger in first half and omagh looked out of sorts. took them a while to get going which it has done all year but thought they maybe left too much to do. but the winning of the game was holding cross scoreless for over 30mins. very impressive defending. justy & gallagher marshalled defence very well. mullan and no5 excellent as well. can't remember cross forwards winning any easy ball out in front in second half at all really. thought barry tierney was wasted marking clarke and omagh management made a good call to switch him with gallagher to free him up and leave gallagher on clarke. up front RON led line perfectly aswell. very impressive second half.

I agree he looks really out of shape, he is a quality finisher though.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Bensars

Quote from: time ticking away on November 03, 2014, 01:44:02 AM
A little bit strange on a tyrone page that we are being a little dismissive of omaghs victory.  I thought they were immensely impressive in tbe second half. How many other clubs in tyrone would have beat cross from 7 down with 25 mins left. Super result for tyrone football

Would agree they were very impressive in the second half. Great win in the circumstances i.e. position at half time.

Would disagree with some of the previous posters that Tyrones early exit is the root cause. IMO 4 week break would have helped. Previously a lot of clubs would have had little or no time in recovery or preparation.

They will be hard to beat now.

Strain and McGinn will be getting a few calls from other clubs in the months ahead

tiempo

Quote from: Up The Middle on November 03, 2014, 10:00:13 AM

I've heard this said earlier in the season too with regards to the club scene and folks said he isn't lean enough to max his potential at the top level county-wise yet. Its a strange one, he's look a tad chunky but still kicked 1-4 including outside of the left foot point late on so fatigue and concentration not an issue at club level. Maybe looks can be deceiving, he needed a few extra pounds of muscle to cope with the physical side of the game and to hopefully give him some protection/longevity, maybe he's been hitting the gym hard, he's not exactly latter day Colin Corkery anyway thats for sure. A great talent.

The Golden Years

Congrats to Omagh on beating cross.  I for one never seen it coming.  I only seen the second half and they looked well worth their victory.

On another note I would like to congratulate the players and management of our u16 squad on completing the double yesterday.  A first in the history of the club.  Some serous individual talent for the future but a great all round team that seems to be well coached.  That's 2 underage victorys this year for the club, something we havent been known for.  Great to see the hard work at u6 to u10 level paying off. 

nrico2006

Quote from: tiempo on November 03, 2014, 12:31:06 PM
Quote from: Up The Middle on November 03, 2014, 10:00:13 AM

I've heard this said earlier in the season too with regards to the club scene and folks said he isn't lean enough to max his potential at the top level county-wise yet. Its a strange one, he's look a tad chunky but still kicked 1-4 including outside of the left foot point late on so fatigue and concentration not an issue at club level. Maybe looks can be deceiving, he needed a few extra pounds of muscle to cope with the physical side of the game and to hopefully give him some protection/longevity, maybe he's been hitting the gym hard, he's not exactly latter day Colin Corkery anyway thats for sure. A great talent.

O'Neill isn't carrying extra muscle, there is definitely something needed there from a conditioning point of view.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tiempo

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 03, 2014, 01:35:06 PM

[/quote]

O'Neill isn't carrying extra muscle, there is definitely something needed there from a conditioning point of view.
[/quote]

If you remember Michael Walsh was the great hope for Down football around the time Stephen O'Neill was a minor, yes he came through and played senior county football and won many Down club championships with Mayobridge, but the word is he was wrecked with bad S&C advice and routines. He bulked up to be too top heavy for his natural physique by lifting too many heavy weights, and wrecked his hamstrings the same way apparently. If our S&C conditioning coaches aren't at the cutting edge now, then it really would've been the blind leading the blind back then. Basically, Ronan O'Neill is of similar stature to Jamie Clarke, Peter Canavan and Colm Cooper, his mobiliy is his key, but I couldn't tell you what state he is in now or what he needs to do, why wouldn't it be extra muscle? I doubt he's flat out on dine in for a tenner gorging on the desert and wine.

Mikhailov

Quote from: tiempo on November 03, 2014, 01:54:46 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 03, 2014, 01:35:06 PM

[/quote]

If you remember Michael Walsh was the great hope for Down football around the time Stephen O'Neill was a minor, yes he came through and played senior county football and won many Down club championships with Mayobridge, but the word is he was wrecked with bad S&C advice and routines. He bulked up to be too top heavy for his natural physique by lifting too many heavy weights, and wrecked his hamstrings the same way apparently. If our S&C conditioning coaches aren't at the cutting edge now, then it really would've been the blind leading the blind back then. Basically, Ronan O'Neill is of similar stature to Jamie Clarke, Peter Canavan and Colm Cooper, his mobiliy is his key, but I couldn't tell you what state he is in now or what he needs to do, why wouldn't it be extra muscle? I doubt he's flat out on dine in for a tenner gorging on the desert and wine.
[/quote]

He may be of similar stature but one thing that could never be levelled at the 3 players you mention is that they were 'unconditioned or heavy looking'. O'Neill is a great player, super accuracy and very confident to boot in a good way but you cannot play at the top level for any sort of sustained period in the physical condition he is currently in. That is not extra muscle, muscle doesn't sit on your stomach or on your backside....This is not an attack on the lad because I think he can be the main man for Tyrone for next 5 years but when you are a marked man as he is - you need to be fitter, stronger, faster and sharper than your man marker all the time...

DERRYSFINEST

3 questions,How many u21s are on the Omagh starting 15?  Also what age are the McMahons? Are the management all Omagh men? Very impressive side

God14

Id guess Joe is 31 and Justin 28

Great to see Justy finally get a run injury free. Looks like he has being hitting the weights recently too, mans in serious shape

Puckoon

Joe would be around 32, with Justy another year or two behind that at ~30/31. Not sure what age Conor is. Management team Lawrence Strain - Drumquin man originally, Barry McGinn - long time St Enda's stalwart.

Bensars

Quote from: Puckoon on November 03, 2014, 03:10:13 PM
Joe would be around 32, with Justy another year or two behind that at ~30/31. Not sure what age Conor is. Management team Lawrence Strain - Drumquin man originally, Barry McGinn - long time St Enda's stalward.

Upon reading that Puckoon, theres men in Dregish that would lookin for a wee word with ye !

Puckoon

Maybe when he was a youngster Bensars? Played senior for Drumquin if I am not mistaken?

Anyway, they can find me at the O'Cathain arms next summer.

blewuporstuffed

yeah, he played for drumquin alright
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either