Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: referee on September 08, 2014, 01:21:58 PM
Donaghmore doing as well without S Mulgrew,I for one thought they would be certs for the drop without his scores, S Mc Cabe has worked wonders

LOL

Napper

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on September 08, 2014, 09:50:33 AM
See the end of year league results are predictable as ever!!  The whole thing is a farce if clubs begin to gift out points.  Moortown pick up their 1st win of the year against Clonoe, Augher beat Omagh and Donaghmore keep their end of season run going although it wouldn't be classed as a major shock like the previous 2 fixtures mentioned.  11 points is probably enough to see Eglish safe.

Do teams actually go out to lose?  Why even field?

Here we go Saturday results five days early

Eglish v Moortown 
Ardboe v Dromore
Augher v Killyclogher
Donaghmore v Clonoe
Eskra v An Charraig Mhór
Moy v Cookstown
Omagh v Coalisland
Strabane v Errigal Ciaran

sam03/05

Tyrone football is quickly becoming a farce. Teams go full tilt for a few weeks, then come the end of season, they field reserve teams, give other teams points etc.
what really is the point of it all?

scout

its a no-win situation for county board. last yr they held championship until the league was rightly finished bar last 2/3 games. people complained how late championship was etc.
this year they do champhionship early, people complaining about players heaading to US and how the leagues pointles with 5/6 games left.

Whats the solution?

BADONEY

Full time at Gardrum Park, Dromore 2.15, ECiarian 1.7 Tyrone senior league ,result puts Dromore top of the league.

barelegs

Quote from: scout on September 08, 2014, 09:23:47 PM
its a no-win situation for county board. last yr they held championship until the league was rightly finished bar last 2/3 games. people complained how late championship was etc.
this year they do champhionship early, people complaining about players heaading to US and how the leagues pointles with 5/6 games left.

Whats the solution?

The people will go to the states line is one that really irks me. The way things were last year players went to the states anyway and came home and played in the championship afterwards.

What is annoying/ worrying is how little reserve football is being played at the minute. Playing the reserve championship off in June has really contributed to that.

I remember being involved in a game a few years ago were two evenly matched teams played their hearts out and the game ended in a draw. There were people on here rolling eyes. While you can't be naive about some of these results, there are times when things are times when shocks can happen or teams can draw

WT4E

Quote from: scout on September 08, 2014, 09:23:47 PM

Whats the solution?

Seed teams in next years championship based on finishing league position!

rrhf

Donaghmore had the toughest teams in the county outside Clonoe and Carmen  in their first 5 games. They have since took 9 out of 14 points. For a young team losing mulgrew, Hughes and grimes, they have do e great.  Outside the championship v Eglish and ardboe league game they have been v competitive. They still have it all to do to stay up but, it's in their Own hands.

Norf Tyrone

The lack of reserve games is a major concern for me. We've a lot of young fellas who've been out training since January, and had just 5 or 6 reserve games all year. If I was them I'd be away looking at another sport. Perhaps some midweek reserve competition on a local level. Example all the teams in Strabane district in a section, Omagh, Cookstown etc.

The top 2 in each section go into a County Quarter Final, next 2 into a plate competition etc. It'll be semi serious aimed at getting people games. Only the teams that feel that they'll be able to field 13 a side regularly should take part/ enter.

Re the issue of teams not taking the league seriously. What about this for the Championship in 2015.

Round 1 will be an open draw featuring the teams that finished 9th to 16th (Including promoted sides). The 4 winners of the 4 ties go to round 2.

Round 2 will be an open draw of two pots. Teams that finished 5th to 8th in pot one with the 4 x Round 1 winners in the other pot.

The Quarter final will be the teams that came 1st to 4th the previous campaign in one pot against the teams that won the Round 2 games.

It puts a major incentive in finishing the table as high as possible.
The winner of the Championship will still have at least 3 x meaningful games which doesn't devalue the thing.
No impact to revenue as there will still be 15 games in the competition regardless.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

billabong

Norf did I read somewhere that Cathal McShane has signed for Dergview is it?

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on September 09, 2014, 08:32:31 AM
The lack of reserve games is a major concern for me. We've a lot of young fellas who've been out training since January, and had just 5 or 6 reserve games all year. If I was them I'd be away looking at another sport. Perhaps some midweek reserve competition on a local level. Example all the teams in Strabane district in a section, Omagh, Cookstown etc.

The top 2 in each section go into a County Quarter Final, next 2 into a plate competition etc. It'll be semi serious aimed at getting people games. Only the teams that feel that they'll be able to field 13 a side regularly should take part/ enter.

Re the issue of teams not taking the league seriously. What about this for the Championship in 2015.

Round 1 will be an open draw featuring the teams that finished 9th to 16th (Including promoted sides). The 4 winners of the 4 ties go to round 2.

Round 2 will be an open draw of two pots. Teams that finished 5th to 8th in pot one with the 4 x Round 1 winners in the other pot.

The Quarter final will be the teams that came 1st to 4th the previous campaign in one pot against the teams that won the Round 2 games.

The winner of the Championship will still have at least 3 x meaningful games which doesn't devalue the thing.
No impact to revenue as there will still be 15 games in the competition regardless.

Norf, I think its a decent shout there, however County Board rely on the likes of Carrickmore, Clonoe and Errigal with a large supporter base to boost their gate receipts.  For Example Eskra v Eglish wouldn't be a lucrative tie where they could see a packed audience.  Supporters may then stay away until what would be termed as the business end of the championship when the so called big clubs enter.

The idea is good and it would make the league competitive to the end, but CB would never adopt it because it would hit them in the pocket
Living the dream!!!

billabong

A quick synopsis of Division 3 this year

Rock-thought they would be too strong for this division and that's how it turned out. The ability to pay for a high profile manager to train them from early last winter also greatly helped. Still spear headed by the McCreesh's

Derrytresk-a close second to Rock, good strong team all round with a few marquee players. Experience in division 2 have stood to them. A return to Division 2 is imminent

Owen Roes-breakthrough team of the year reaching championship semi final. Excellent young team who can hopefully stick together and bring success in next couple years. Have a good shout in the play offs.

Clann na Gael-still very dependent on Stephen O'Neill and Brian Dooher-hard to see if a sustained position in top 4 could be maintained if these two great servants bow out. Will make play offs but cant see being promoted

Aghaloo-considering the team they have this year a very good performance from the Aughnacloy men. Momentum in the league should see them into the play offs. Another young team for the future

Castlederg-a decent performance from the Derg men although I thought they would have pushed on a bit from last years progress. A good run in the championship and pushed Derrytresk all the way. Some great young players

Tattyreagh-an excellent start from the Tatts which stalled half way through. Backboned now by a couple of Tyrone minors. Won reserve championship but the loss of Colin Harkin to the states was a major blow

Brockagh-another mid table finish beckons for the lough shore men. Need all the Donnellys playing on a regular basis which just didn't happen enough times.

Fintona-inconsistency the problem for the Pearses. Beat Clann na Gael away from home this weekend and pushed Derrytrresk to a point, beat Owen Roes but then suffer defeat to Dregish. Mark Donnelly was a miss for them this year.

Beragh-all the old hands gone. Seemed to be making a late run for the play offs this year until put off the tracks this weekend by Glenelly. Backboned by a successful u21 team.

Clogher-this team is crying out for youngKavanagh who left them a couple years ago to join their near neighbours in senior football. A strong unit just missing one or two stand out players

Errigal Ciaran-made a blistering start to the season which was always going to be hard to sustain and so it proved. Still a decent innings from the Dunmoyle men. Unsure how affected or otherwise they were from senior/reserve call ups

Killyman-disappointing from the St Marys whose days of glory are long gone. An ageing team with very few young players coming through. Micky Donnelly still an outstanding player though.

Dregish-vey slow and sluggish start from the Dregish men although they have picked up points in the last few weeks from teams around them. Again limited youth coming through-relying on transfers in from neighbouring town clubs.

Glenelly-just like Dregish a very slow start and waited for their first win for a long while but have picked up 3 in the last 5 games. Top scorer in Division Seamus Harkin a real marquee payer. Too many players missing for one reason or another. Could be a force if they returned

Drumquin-disappointing for a few years now, another ageing team who look visibly unfit. See no turnaround for them in the immediate future.

Drumragh-slugging it out with Drumquin to avoid the wooden spoon this year although unlike Drumquin most of the elder statemen have moved on and have a pretty young team.

WT4E

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on September 09, 2014, 08:32:31 AM

Good idea Norf - Seed the teams - If only I had thought of that!  ;D

blewuporstuffed

Thats probably true, but there is maybe a case for a seeded draw, top half of the table in pot 1 , bottom half in pot 2.
Although im not convinced that would make a whole lot of difference, maybe it would.

The problem is, that for a number of clubs, the league is of little interest to them. Im not sure how you address that.
for most of the bottom half of the league, they are fighting for points the whole season, so there is no issue there, and for a small number of other clubs the ambition of making the top 4 is a decent goal so that keeps them honest/ competitive.
You then have the 'big' clubs whose only goal is to win the championship and seem to take the view that the league is below them, and the smaller clubs who have had a relatively good season and as soon as they get enough points to get safe, pack it in.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: billabong on September 09, 2014, 08:38:54 AM
Norf did I read somewhere that Cathal McShane has signed for Dergview is it?

Aye that's right. I think he signs for a team every year. He was at Institute last season.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone