Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotrocks

Jeez ye are all very gullible on this thread.  Mc guckin is training the team and will pick the team against Ballinderry the only thing he won't do is walk the sideline on the day of the game.  Money talks !

EC Unique

Quote from: Hotrocks on October 25, 2012, 10:37:39 AM
Jeez ye are all very gullible on this thread.  Mc guckin is training the team and will pick the team against Ballinderry the only thing he won't do is walk the sideline on the day of the game.  Money talks !

Has not taken training this week. Told the lads he would be back after the Ballinderry match. Seems he is a man of his word.

Up The Middle

Quote from: EC Unique on October 25, 2012, 12:01:44 PM

Has not taken training this week. Told the lads he would be back after the Ballinderry match. Seems he is a man of his word.

Seriously, a man of his word. He agreed to take Errigal at the start of the year and now in their biggest game of the year he turns his back on them, that is not a man of his word in my book. Its the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard, seriously its a complete joke. If Errigal take him back they will be a laughing stock, whats to stop him giving his OWN club (who he thinks so much off) the inside track on Errigal.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

EC Unique

Quote from: Up The Middle on October 25, 2012, 01:00:02 PM

Seriously, a man of his word. He agreed to take Errigal at the start of the year and now in their biggest game of the year he turns his back on them, that is not a man of his word in my book. Its the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard, seriously its a complete joke. If Errigal take him back they will be a laughing stock, whats to stop him giving his OWN club (who he thinks so much off) the inside track on Errigal.

Look. I am not amused with what he has done either but he made it clear before taking the job that this would be the case and he has kept to his word on it. As for Errigal being a laughing stock... well we will see what happens first but Errigal are the proud holders of the O'Niell cup so laugh away.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Up The Middle on October 25, 2012, 01:00:02 PM

Agree with UTM here, its bizarre and people trying to claim its the honourable thing to do is just a spasticated view IMO.  Its not like he is going to be the first club man to ever manage against his own club.  If Errigal wins, what happens?  Does he go into the changing room afetr the match and go, "right lads, training Tuesday night"  ???  I think he has left himself in a very awkward position and has also probably lost some of the trust of his players in doing so.  As UTM mentions, who is to say he is not feeding Ballinderry all the info on Errigals strengths and weaknesses.

At the end of the day he is hired by Errigal for the season and should do the honourable thing and see it out regardless of the opposition.  He's hardly that big of a club man  ::)

shawshank

Christmas lights I agree with your entire post except for the last sentence.

Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 25, 2012, 01:26:26 PM
He's hardly that big of a club man  ::)

How do you reckon?

Redhand Santa

I'm surprised about how negative some of the attitude is here to McGuckin. From my point of view it goes against everything the gaa stands for to try and manage a team to beat your own club. I could think of doing nothing worse in gaa terms. I'm not a huge fan of all these outside managers but I'm glad he has stuck to their word. He has done a great job for Errigal and they would have been more than happy with a county title at the start of the year. He knew his heart wouldn't be in this game and has did the right thing in walking away for it.

I remember once attending a Tyrone league game v Donegal and Brian McIvor on the sideline for Donegal shouting abuse at Tyrone players. I wondered then how anyone could shout against their own county. Plotting the downfall off your own club is taking it a step further.

I also remember reading Eamon Coleman saying when he was managing Cavan he couldn't shout against his native county.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2012, 10:24:59 PM
I do recognise that it is a shitty scenario but when you take on a job with another club, that has to become 'your club' for that year and you have to see it out to the end.

During the year, he has been asking fellas to knock their bollix in for him. He will have dropped players, given off to players for not giving 100% to the team and now that this arises, he takes himself off for 2 weeks leaving 'his' team at a major disadvantage ahead of a massive game. Commitment??

He is still a young fella who I would imagine expects to have a long career in management. This, to me, shows that unless he is managing Ballinderry (or possibly Derry) then he isn't really arsed and would drop ye like a stone. Who'd sign up to play under a manager like that?

A poor decision.

He has given 100% to the Errigal cause all season and they've got the rewards from this. He knows in his heart he can't give 100% against his own club and has known that from the start and put it on record with those who appointed him. I've more respect for someone taking this stance than someone who would plot the downfall of their own club for money. Its a difficult situation but I certainly wouldn't be sticking the boot into the man for showing loyalty to his home club, which is a huge part of the gaa.

If anything it maybe highlights the difficulty of having an outside manager and that it doesn't sit perfectly in the gaa model of love for your own club and county. Considering the abuse Seanie Johnston took this year I believe some of those who are criticising McGuckin are a little hypocritical.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 25, 2012, 11:02:53 PM
I do recognise that it is a shitty scenario but when you take on a job with another club, that has to become 'your club' for that year and you have to see it out to the end.

During the year, he has been asking fellas to knock their bollix in for him. He will have dropped players, given off to players for not giving 100% to the team and now that this arises, he takes himself off for 2 weeks leaving 'his' team at a major disadvantage ahead of a massive game. Commitment??

He is still a young fella who I would imagine expects to have a long career in management. This, to me, shows that unless he is managing Ballinderry (or possibly Derry) then he isn't really arsed and would drop ye like a stone. Who'd sign up to play under a manager like that?

A poor decision.

He has given 100% to the Errigal cause all season and they've got the rewards from this. He knows in his heart he can't give 100% against his own club and has known that from the start and put it on record with those who appointed him. I've more respect for someone taking this stance than someone who would plot the downfall of their own club for money. Its a difficult situation but I certainly wouldn't be sticking the boot into the man for showing loyalty to his home club, which is a huge part of the gaa.

If anything it maybe highlights the difficulty of having an outside manager and that it doesn't sit perfectly in the gaa model of love for your own club and county. Considering the abuse Seanie Johnston took this year I believe some of those who are criticising McGuckin are a little hypocritical.

Good luck to Brian McIver that's all I say. If we didn't know it already the club loyalty in Derry does appear to be different to that in other counties.

Tommo2

I remeber yrs ago when errigal played donaghmore in a championship match and paudge quinn was managing donaghmore. Some errigal people were not happy thta one of their own could take a team against errigal. If mcguckin said to the errigal committee at the start of the year that he would not manage against his own club, the there is no issue. Fair play to him. I think its the right thing to do, as long as the committee knew at the start of the year.

LeoMc

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2012, 11:25:15 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 25, 2012, 11:02:53 PM

A poor decision.

He has given 100% to the Errigal cause all season and they've got the rewards from this.
How can you say this? He hasn't given 100% to them at all. Their journey doesn't end at the O'Neill cup. Coming out of Tyrone, I'm sure they had high hopes. He has left them in the shit.

This cannot be compared to Seanie Johnston in any way. He took a job on and then left them managerless ahead of a massive game. If you take a job on, have the balls to see it out. If you are the biggest Ballinderry man ever, don't go and manage other clubs.

How could any club with serious ambitions ever take him on as manager?

I have no issues with him doing what he did, it shows a great loyalty to his club but I don't think he has done his own career prospects any good.

Up The Middle

If he wants a top job again at a top club then he has done his chances harm, because all the top clubs would be striving to win championships and give Ulster a rattle. All the top teams will look at this and be thinking if he walked out on Errigal then he will walk out on us.

I'm sure Errigal agreed at the start of the year because they thought the chances of it happening would be extremely slim, i cant imagine that they ever thought when it came too the bit he would turn his back on them and walk away.

Could he not still have trained them for the 2 weeks and not went too the game on the Sunday (i still wouldn't agree with this, but its better than not been seen at all for 2 weeks)

Will he go to the game? If so will he cheer on Ballinderry?

Its a shame cause he seems like a nice guy, but i think he has let himself down with his actions however admirable some people think they are.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

EC Unique

Quote from: Up The Middle on October 26, 2012, 11:02:27 AM
If he wants a top job again at a top club then he has done his chances harm, because all the top clubs would be striving to win championships and give Ulster a rattle. All the top teams will look at this and be thinking if he walked out on Errigal then he will walk out on us.

I'm sure Errigal agreed at the start of the year because they thought the chances of it happening would be extremely slim, i cant imagine that they ever thought when it came too the bit he would turn his back on them and walk away.

Could he not still have trained them for the 2 weeks and not went too the game on the Sunday (i still wouldn't agree with this, but its better than not been seen at all for 2 weeks)

Will he go to the game? If so will he cheer on Ballinderry?

Its a shame cause he seems like a nice guy, but i think he has let himself down with his actions however admirable some people think they are.

Totally agree!

Bonkers09

The chances of this scenario occurring at the beginning of the year are slim. Errigal could have been any of 7/8 teams to win Tyrone, which in itself is a great achievement. Then for Ballinderry to win Derry, and the two to be drawn against each other in Ulster (9 teams and for the two to meet).  Back in December when they approached him like any true Gael he stated his reluctance to go against his own club  (whatever the slim chances of this happening) if the opportunity presented itself.  The Errigal committee who  hadn't seen there side progress past a QF in 4 years never mind win a championship were probably more than likely to accept McGuckin's stance as a case of 'we'll cross that bridge if we ever come to it'.  Football in places like Ballinderry means much more than what some may think. Unless your Paul McIvor 

Up The Middle

Quote from: Bonkers09 on October 26, 2012, 01:23:35 PM
The chances of this scenario occurring at the beginning of the year are slim. Errigal could have been any of 7/8 teams to win Tyrone, which in itself is a great achievement. Then for Ballinderry to win Derry, and the two to be drawn against each other in Ulster (9 teams and for the two to meet).  Back in December when they approached him like any true Gael he stated his reluctance to go against his own club  (whatever the slim chances of this happening) if the opportunity presented itself.  The Errigal committee who  hadn't seen there side progress past a QF in 4 years never mind win a championship were probably more than likely to accept McGuckin's stance as a case of 'we'll cross that bridge if we ever come to it'.  Football in places like Ballinderry means much more than what some may think. Unless your Paul McIvor

Dont talk crap.

Why would football mean more to someone from Ballinderry than it would for someone from Ballaghy or Errigal or any other club in the country. The fact that people see this as a noble act really baffles me, Paul McIvor did the right thing in my book,  he took a job and he saw it through till its conclusion, he didn't throw the towel in at the first sign of adversity, as i stated before McGuckin could have trained the squad and not took his place along the line. Did Paul McIvor really do his reputation damage by managing against his own club, i doubt it very much.