Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommo2

What do people think of reverting to 4 divisions of 12 teams again. In Div 1 this year, there is an obvious divide between the top  half and bottom half with very few upsets. There seems to be more hammerings of 10+ points as well, which is not good for the competitiveness of the league.

Hashtag

Quote from: Tommo2 on May 21, 2012, 12:05:06 PM
What do people think of reverting to 4 divisions of 12 teams again. In Div 1 this year, there is an obvious divide between the top  half and bottom half with very few upsets. There seems to be more hammerings of 10+ points as well, which is not good for the competitiveness of the league.

Talked about this over the weekend as well. Looks like it will have to revert back to the 4 divisions again.
I would still like it to be:
4 Divisions of 12.
Each Division has its own Championship (apart from Div 1)
But the O'Neill Cup is competed for by All teams. Sort of like a FA cup style tournament. Division 1 teams entering in Round 2 or something.

Tyrone Gaa

The only advantage of goint to 4 divisions would be the end of starred games!!  You will always get the big wins wether its 12 or 16 teams in the league.  The big wins are coming in div 2 and 3 as well.  I dont agree that all teams should compete for the O'Neill cup either or form amalgmations to compete.  A club should earn the right to compete at that level through league success
Living the dream!!!

stalwart

4 x 12 is a must , big gulfs emerging in div 1 and 2 , div 3 has wlaways had a gap.  Given the economic situation and player availability in most clubs something must be done to redress the imbalances. I think the day of enjoyment must come back into football and this can only happen when teams are in the right level with a competitive chance of winning- this can only be achieved through  4 X 12 - more football less training.  I would call for the introduction of a 1b championship though, although it mignt have an ulster dimension it would be a damn good championship

matchfit

Obviously if 4 x 12 league format was to happen it would take a year or two for some clubs to find they're levels but anyone brave enough to suggest teams in each division? Givens are dromore, clonoe, errigal, carmen, fianna, perhaps omagh and ardboe all in div 1. But who makes up rest of leagues?

DownFanatic

Lads, Down is reverting to 3 Divisions for Adult Football from 2013 onwards. At the moment we have 4 Divisions and a very good system in my opinion. I was very much against reverting to the 3 Divisions.

What is the 3 Division system like? Are there many pointless games as the season progress? Are there a disproportionate amount of one sided games?

LeoMc

My understanding is that Armagh changed from 12 team divisions (22 games) to a 16 team division format with the division split after 15 games to maintain the number of games 15+7 whilst ensuring that the final 7 games are more evenly matched.

We have previously borrowed Armagh systems and built upon them. Is there any merit in this one?

ziggy90

Don't know if this is the right thread but Warwickshire are to play Tyrone in the Lory Meagher trophy on Saturday. Throw in 12 noon at Pairc na hEireann. I was wondering what is the state of hurling in Tyrone? How many clubs are there now? If I remember right there used to be Dungannon, Killyclogher, Carrickmore and was there also a club around the Strabane area?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ziggy90

Thanks for that Fionn. I didn't know they hurled around Beragh.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

hsthompson

I wouldn't want to return to the 4 divisions of 12 as it would mean playing 22 leagues games every season, which is far too many for my liking. Unless they just had Divisions of 12 teams, and you only played each other once. It's a long enough season as it is, lads.

Tommo2

You wouldnt have to play 22 games. The previous time the 12 team league was used, each team played each other once (11 games). Then the top 6 played off for the league title and the bottom six played off for relegation (5 additional games). 16 games in total

EC Unique

Quote from: Tommo2 on May 24, 2012, 01:34:17 PM
You wouldnt have to play 22 games. The previous time the 12 team league was used, each team played each other once (11 games). Then the top 6 played off for the league title and the bottom six played off for relegation (5 additional games). 16 games in total

Groups of 12. Play 11 times, top wins the league bottom 2 go down. No play offs. Then introduce a back door for the Championship.  Simples...

stalwart

given the state of club football, the unemployment situatin and the external pressures that we face in the gaa we have to make sure that lads can get back to enjoying football- i believe that creasting 4 competitive divsions would creste a more level platform for all teams to compete- look at the yoyo nature of some many teams- not good enough for senior/int/junior but too good for the lower league

Up The Middle

Errigal v Clonoe senior game throws in at 12 today, reserve game on 2nd.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

wheres he takin er from

Errigal 0-13 1-11 Clonoe. Clonoe on some run of results. Would be exciting times looking forward to championship action if anyone knew who they would be meeting.

Answers on a post card for when the draw will be held/announced
First on the field and last to leave