The Official Mick McCarthy/Ipswich Town Appreciation Thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, April 18, 2009, 05:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2009, 06:32:19 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 18, 2009, 05:20:58 PM
Fair f**ks to him, when Wolves were struggling last year he kept at it through the tough times. Unlike some other Irish club managers. . . .

Man resigns.

Wow.  ::)

Right enough it was no big story as same man had a history of walking out...

slow corner back

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 18, 2009, 07:36:39 PM
Quote from: The Subbie on April 18, 2009, 06:17:41 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 18, 2009, 06:04:53 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 18, 2009, 05:45:22 PM
Fair f**ks to him, when Wolves were struggling last year he kept at it through the tough times. Unlike some other Irish club managers. . . .

Delighted for him too,he wouldn't have had a huge budget either.
Will be hard for him next year though as I doubt he will get the funding to get the players needed to stay up.
Fair achievement all the same I think they still have 4 or 5 games left in the Championship,so to get promoted early is great.

Only 2, but still a great achievement. How many times now has McCarthy got a team promoted?

EDIT: just checked out wiki, he's only got two teams promoted but has gotten into the playoffs another few times. Seems to be the man to get you out of the Championship. Can he do it in the Premier League now though?

If he gets the £££££££ yes if he does'nt not a chance

Thats about the bones of it..
He won't survive in the PL without some money to spend.
He has a couple of Irish guys like Keogh and Kevin Foley.
Ya wouldn't know but if Newcastle gets relegated someone like Duff might sign for him as I can't see him going to one of the Top teams at this stage,he must be pushing 30 ?

Thats a good call about Duff, not many clubs would fancy him due to his wage demands/ injury problems Mick might well be keen

Minder

I think people over estimate the £ ££ £ factor, Newcastle have spent money and could go down. Stoke look like staying up and nobody expected that. Outside the top four and maybe Villa there isnt much difference in quality and the standard isnt great.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

slow corner back

Quote from: Minder on April 18, 2009, 08:06:43 PM
I think people over estimate the £ ££ £ factor, Newcastle have spent money and could go down. Stoke look like staying up and nobody expected that. Outside the top four and maybe Villa there isnt much difference in quality and the standard isnt great.

Liverpool fan (manager) disses Everton again shock!!!lol :D

imtommygunn

There's a gap between the top four and the next two - Everton and Villa - and then there's a gap between them and the rest. Villa and Everton are a good bit better than the rest though.

Money makes a big difference when spent wisely. e.g. Beattie has made a big difference for Stoke. Newcastle have bought some turkeys over the last few years and Owen has hardly played either. The amount of money Newcastle have wasted is criminal. Middlesborough haven't been too wise with the money either - e.g. Alves.

I think McCarthy is a good c'ship manager and a poor premier league one so to be honest I think Wolves will go stright back down. I've a lot of time for the man though so I hope he proves me wrong...

T Fearon

Many congrats to Mick. Surely if he had access to the funds made available to the Cork langer during his time in charge at Sunderland he would have made a much better fist of the job and certainly wouldn't have been relegated

Norf Tyrone

Folks was going to start a new thread for this but will keep it here. My old fella is a big Wolves fan and heads over now and again. He has flights, et all booked for this day fortnight for the last game of the season but can't secure a ticket (Doncaster at home).

Does anyone have any connections, or contacts that could help me out?
Much appreciated..
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

EC Unique

Quote from: under the bar on April 18, 2009, 07:17:50 PM
Well done to YoYo Mick, the only manager whose been up and down more often than Ulrika Jonsson's knickers.
:D :D :D :D

thewobbler

It's a tad unfair to suggest that McCarthy isn't a good enough manager for a premier league team. Being an unfashionable Yorkshire man he has never been offered a job on the next pedestal - a settled Premiership side like Villa, Everton, Blackburn,West Ham or Man City. Until he gets a job like that - where his season isn't just about avoiding relegation - I don't think you can really judge his Premier League credentials.

I'm delighted for him anyway. His sides play decent football to watch, and he calls a spade a spade, which is unusual for a manager.

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

thebandit

Quote from: slow corner back on April 18, 2009, 08:00:17 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 18, 2009, 07:36:39 PM
Quote from: The Subbie on April 18, 2009, 06:17:41 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 18, 2009, 06:04:53 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 18, 2009, 05:45:22 PM

Delighted for him too,he wouldn't have had a huge budget either.
Will be hard for him next year though as I doubt he will get the funding to get the players needed to stay up.
Fair achievement all the same I think they still have 4 or 5 games left in the Championship,so to get promoted early is great.

Only 2, but still a great achievement. How many times now has McCarthy got a team promoted?

EDIT: just checked out wiki, he's only got two teams promoted but has gotten into the playoffs another few times. Seems to be the man to get you out of the Championship. Can he do it in the Premier League now though?

If he gets the £££££££ yes if he does'nt not a chance

Thats about the bones of it..
He won't survive in the PL without some money to spend.
He has a couple of Irish guys like Keogh and Kevin Foley.
Ya wouldn't know but if Newcastle gets relegated someone like Duff might sign for him as I can't see him going to one of the Top teams at this stage,he must be pushing 30 ?

Thats a good call about Duff, not many clubs would fancy him due to his wage demands/ injury problems Mick might well be keen

He always got the best out of Duff in an Ireland jersey.

Farrandeelin

Always had a soft spot for Wolves, whatever about McCarthy. They were always in the playoffs or just couldn't make the playoffs so often and when Irwin left United to join them I kept an eye on them those years as well. Delighted they're in the Premiership next season.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

stew

Fair play to McCarthy and Wolves, it will be great to see them play in the premiership.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.