Can Kilkenny be stopped this year??

Started by thejuice, April 05, 2009, 05:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

This thread has turned into a comedy sketch !!

AZOffaly

4-26 to 11 points I think.

Reillers, as for Cody dropping players, I believe he would drop anybody if he felt they needed to be dropped. He has this reputation now, which is probably making sure that lads don't ease off. There's no need to drop Henry. If Cha comes back and is not playing as well as someone else, he will be dropped.

Kilkenny regularly have subs who were All Stars previously. This means that a)They must have been playing to get an All Star and b) They were then dropped as they are now subs.

I guarantee you the only way Noel Hickey will be playing for KK this season is if he is better than Brian Hogan. Other than that, he'll be following the likes of Michael Kavanagh, Jackie Tyrell, John Tennyson and others as big players who can't keep their place.

orangeman

Cody has loads of time for Noel Hickey, he has said that many times before-  but when push comes to shove, Hickey will be dropped if Hogan is doing a job at 3. He's been experimenting with Hogan at 3 for a lot of the games this year - he must have something in his mind about it.

GY Joe

There is a perfect storm in Kilkenny at the moment for hurling greatness if you will.

1) A top class underage structure which churns out at least 1 or 2 genuine top-class intercounty standard hurlers a every year. The rest are merely very good senior intercounty hurlers.
2) A Top Class current Senior team with about 5 outstanding hurlers while most counties are lucky  to have 1, and 2 genuine best of all time contenders (Sheff and Walsh)
3) Serious experience within that senior team... Confidence is the end result
4) A manager with a simple game plan but a highly successful man-management policy.
5) A C-u-nt of a manager who is driven by a chip on the shoulder to supress every other county while is watch lasts, to drive a nail into the debate about the best hurling county of all time. Make no mistake, Cody's muse is ENVY and an INFERIORITY complex which drives the man and subsequently his players.
6) A county board and a county which is communist like in its slavish pursuit of anything and everything to do with hurling...
7) A competitive and high standard senior club  set-up.

Farrandeelin

Quote4-26 to 11 points I think

Jesus it was mighty to see Donal Og Cusack letting in 4 goals yesterday.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Bord na Mona man

I was a bit surprised at how much Kilkenny went to town on Cork yesterday.
I thought there'd be an element of cap doffing from both sides, mutual respect between two traditional rivals, blah blah.  ;)
Kilkenny were obviously confident they could dish a hammering and not worry about reprisals in the near future.
At the last strike Kilkenny were bending over backwards to accommodate Cork with their league fixture and I assumed this was because they were afraid of getting on the wrong side of Cork.
Perhaps times have moved on.

Kerry Mike

QuoteCork will never win an All Ireland backboned by the current crop.
Might as well start a 2 or 3 year rebuilding plan with the next generation.

That's why the Cork County Board are sending the full 2009 ex-panel and Gerald McCarthy and backroom team off to La Manga for a training trip this week  :D 

There is so much to laugh about at Cork be times its hard to know where to start sometimes.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

thejuice

Quote from: GY Joe on April 06, 2009, 02:57:30 PM5) A C-u-nt of a manager who is driven by a chip on the shoulder to supress every other county while is watch lasts, to drive a nail into the debate about the best hurling county of all time. Make no mistake, Cody's muse is ENVY and an INFERIORITY complex which drives the man and subsequently his players.

How'd ye reckon that???
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Bud Wiser

QuoteThere is a perfect storm in Kilkenny at the moment for hurling greatness if you will.

1) A top class underage structure which churns out at least 1 or 2 genuine top-class intercounty standard hurlers a every year. The rest are merely very good senior intercounty hurlers.
2) A Top Class current Senior team with about 5 outstanding hurlers while most counties are lucky  to have 1, and 2 genuine best of all time contenders (Sheff and Walsh)
3) Serious experience within that senior team... Confidence is the end result
4) A manager with a simple game plan but a highly successful man-management policy.
5) A C-u-nt of a manager who is driven by a chip on the shoulder to supress every other county while is watch lasts, to drive a nail into the debate about the best hurling county of all time. Make no mistake, Cody's muse is ENVY and an INFERIORITY complex which drives the man and subsequently his players.
6) A county board and a county which is communist like in its slavish pursuit of anything and everything to do with hurling...
7) A competitive and high standard senior club  set-up.

Practice makes perfect.   In training Cody,because he is fortunate enough to have so many class players on the panel, plays one team against the other with the ferocity of an All-Ireland Final.  No quarter is given in these games and he knows for sure what ammunition he has in the breach for each game and how players are performing.

Dublin lost an All-Ireland with the best 15 players they ever had two years ago because they spent more time in the gym than they did doing ball work (my opinion) and in last years All=Ireland Semi Final Cork spent their time under the Cusack stand doing some flash training routine instead of using the time to get their eye in with a puck around - not that it would have made one blind bit of difference - hungry cats are dangerous cats.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

RedandGreenSniper

Kilkenny 2/5 to win the All-Ireland. Has a team ever been that short a price at this time of year? Even still it looks like a small bit of value for an accumulator!

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPORTS&disp_cat_id=53&ev_class_id=10&ev_type_id=10264&ev_oc_grp_ids=85327&bir_index=
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

bottlethrower7

Quote from: GY Joe on April 06, 2009, 02:57:30 PM

thats complete and utter bullshit. Almost certainly posted to provoke a reaction in how wrong it is.

Cody doesn't care a damn whats going on outside of Kilkenny. Thats why hes so good. He doesn't get caught up in what others are doing. His goal is to drive from within. Control whats within your control. Other managers could do with taking a leaf out of his book.

Bud Wiser

Good man BT7.  I was wondering how long it would take to see you coming out of semi-retirement and I kinda knew that post would do it.! :)
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Bud Wiser on April 07, 2009, 11:01:57 AM
Good man BT7.  I was wondering how long it would take to see you coming out of semi-retirement and I kinda knew that post would do it.! :)

I'm never too far away Bud!

thejuice

John Considine's suggested in the Examiner that there should be a Kilkenny North and South team. Load of shite but some KK lad on HS decided to do up team sheets of them and here they are:

QuoteKilkenny North
1 PJ Ryan
2 Michael Kavanagh
3 JJ Delaney
4 Jackie Tyrell
5 Tommy Walsh
6 Brian Hogan
7 PJ Delaney
8 Damien Fogarty
9 James Ryall
10 Eddie Brennan
11 Derek Lyng
12 Eoin Larkin
13 Richie Hogan
14 Martin Comerford
15 Aidan Fogarty

Kilkenny South
1 David Herity
2 Canice Hickey
3 Noel Hickey
4 Sean Cummins
5 John Dalton
6 John Tennyson
7 Richie Mullally
8 Michael Fennelly
9 Cha Fitzpatrick
10 TJ Reid
11 Henry Shefflin
12 Michael Rice
13 Willie O'Dwyer
14 Richie Power
15 Michael Grace

You'd have a hard time beating either team to be fair. Wonder would they both be managed by Brian Cody as well.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Bud Wiser

That is a great post thejuice.    Just like I was saying above, Brian Cody has a panel that would provide the equivelant of a top hurling encounter for training purposes and if he wanted to he has the opportunity to provide match practice in the real sense at every training session.  Others are lucky to be able to train under the old backs and forwards system.