Can Kilkenny be stopped this year??

Started by thejuice, April 05, 2009, 05:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

AZOffaly

The only worry for us all is that Kilkenny were beaten by Waterford in the league final 2 years ago, and didn't make the final last year. This year they won it. Are they actually getting better?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 04, 2009, 11:35:41 AM
The only worry for us all is that Kilkenny were beaten by Waterford in the league final 2 years ago, and didn't make the final last year. This year they won it. Are they actually getting better?

I think Cody and Kilkenny just take it very personally when someone manages to get a result against them. Look what they did to Cork, Clare & Tipp after Waterford beat them earlier on in the league. Hard to know whether Sunday's match will give them another "wake up call" or not...  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

INDIANA

Kilkenny don't have any better underage players than Callinan, Maher and Mc Grath and the rest. thats the difference these guys are as good as anything kilkenny have at that age. If they can keep it going they'll be close to them in the next couple of years

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on May 06, 2009, 11:41:10 AM
Kilkenny don't have any better underage players than Callinan, Maher and Mc Grath and the rest. thats the difference these guys are as good as anything kilkenny have at that age. If they can keep it going they'll be close to them in the next couple of years

Agree. Tipp have talent coming up.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 07, 2009, 08:18:48 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 06, 2009, 11:41:10 AM

Agree. Tipp have talent coming up.

At least the Tipp talent have a chance of getting on the team - the KK young lads might not get a lot of opportunities.

AZOffaly

Can't agree there orangeman. The good young lads in Kilkenny are given every chance to graduate up, that's a strong part of Cody's approach. Of course they have to be *very* good to make it. Maybe the conveyor belt is slowing up a tad, but it'll still be at least 3 or 4 before they are surpassed as the best team in the country in my opinion. They might not win another 4 in a row mind you, but they will be the best team for that length I think.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 07, 2009, 09:17:50 PM
Can't agree there orangeman. The good young lads in Kilkenny are given every chance to graduate up, that's a strong part of Cody's approach. Of course they have to be *very* good to make it. Maybe the conveyor belt is slowing up a tad, but it'll still be at least 3 or 4 before they are surpassed as the best team in the country in my opinion. They might not win another 4 in a row mind you, but they will be the best team for that length I think.

I've been looking thru old programmes there - KK minor teams have come and gone without anybody coming from the whole panel onto the senior panel.

AZOffaly

It's more the Under 21 teams you should be looking at. For the last 6 or 7 years, I'd say at least 1 or 2 every year have been coming there or thereabouts.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 07, 2009, 09:23:43 PM
It's more the Under 21 teams you should be looking at. For the last 6 or 7 years, I'd say at least 1 or 2 every year have been coming there or thereabouts.

You're right about that - it's amazing how few minors come through - the vast majority fall by the wayside - under 21s are a better guage - pity that we're considering doing away with the under 21s.

slow corner back

I read somewhere that Henry Shefflin could not make it onto the Kilkenny minor team when he was the age, came through as an U-21 and Cody fasttracked him onto the senior side much to most peoples surprise down Noreside.

orangeman

Quote from: slow corner back on May 08, 2009, 10:48:41 AM
I read somewhere that Henry Shefflin could not make it onto the Kilkenny minor team when he was the age, came through as an U-21 and Cody fasttracked him onto the senior side much to most peoples surprise down Noreside.

Worse than that - he couldn't make the school team at 14 !!! Was too big - had all the skills but couldn't get around. Was invariably a sub - grew up and blossomed.

INDIANA

Quote from: slow corner back on May 08, 2009, 10:48:41 AM

in his first year he wasn't great- in his 2nd year minor- he was the principal forward along with kevin power. first year u21 scored 3-5 on a losing kilkenny team and the rest as they say is history.