Can Kilkenny be stopped this year??

Started by thejuice, April 05, 2009, 05:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

There are two threats to Kilkenny winning the all ireland this year, complacency and the fact that they may be showing us their A game in the spring. Leaving aside the hameering of cork yesterday ( enjoyable though it was) they have also hammered Galway and Tipp this year, I wish Dublin good luck for next week. With any team in a knockout cometition there is always a chance of coming unstuck. However if they perform to 70% of their ability no one will get close to beating them

Reillers

Oh people seem to forget they've hammered the living daylights out of Galway and Tipp as well.
I think the damage that could be done to Kilkenny, the major threat is complacency and the fact that they are getting praised to the high heavens by everyone, it's April, just, and people are calling them unbeatable and the greatest team that has ever played, which I don't agree with, they'd be just media readers who love a good headline, really because you've got the great Cork 4 in a row team, and past Tipp and KK teams as well..etc.
That will without question go to the Kilkenny players heads. That could be a key factor to if and when they fall.
Not to mention it is barely April and they are playing outstanding hurling, they were really good, but is it too good, especially for this time of year, they'd want to hope they haven't peaked too soon because there's no way they can physicaly keep up what they are doing, like they've Dublin next, I guarantee you the score wont be anything like the one we saw yesterday because Kilkenny will not be able to keep up the effort they put in. You can't keep going at that level, which they have Tipp, Galway, Cork, they will spark out at some stage. The are almost showing off at this stage and well like it was just said, showing their A game in April might backfire.
If anything goes wrong it'll be one or both of the points above. THey wont be beaten by a better team, because I don't think there's a better team in the championship at the minute, now unless the likes of Shefflin and co start feeling their age, there wont be a better team out there this season. The only team that can beat Kilkenny will be Kilkenny.

GY Joe

They dont have to keep going at that level for the whole year Reillers. All they have to do is lay off the training in May, let them back to their clubs for a few weeks, and ramp it up again for the Leinster Final, (ok, ramp it up a tiny bit)

I'm envious, and disheartened by the Kilkenny domination of hurling at the moment. There does not look to be an end to it.

slow corner back

People are calling them the greatest team ever because they have won 6 of the last nine all irelands and quite a few of them have been won very comfortably. They are also the only team in living memory to absolutely bury opponents when they get on top of them. The Cork team of 04,05 were undoubtedly a good side but they did not win all irelands by 18 points, similarly Clare under Loughnane were a great outfit but generally won 1-4 points. What sets this side apart is the way they can destroy aq team in 10 minutes

INDIANA

I can assure you reillers the cats will beat us by 15-20 points at our very best. Cody at half time when his team are hammering somebody says to them that he will take off anybody who drops their intensity by 5%. Thats  some motivation to keep going because the players know he will drop them. Even if he drops Eddie Brennan and Power he has Richie Hogan on the bench. He'd walk onto any other team in Ireland.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Reillers on April 06, 2009, 11:34:30 AM
Oh people seem to forget they've hammered the living daylights out of Galway and Tipp as well.
I think the damage that could be done to Kilkenny, the major threat is complacency and the fact that they are getting praised to the high heavens by everyone, it's April, just, and people are calling them unbeatable and the greatest team that has ever played, which I don't agree with, they'd be just media readers who love a good headline, really because you've got the great Cork 4 in a row team, and past Tipp and KK teams as well..etc.
That will without question go to the Kilkenny players heads. That could be a key factor to if and when they fall.
Not to mention it is barely April and they are playing outstanding hurling, they were really good, but is it too good, especially for this time of year, they'd want to hope they haven't peaked too soon because there's no way they can physicaly keep up what they are doing, like they've Dublin next, I guarantee you the score wont be anything like the one we saw yesterday because Kilkenny will not be able to keep up the effort they put in. You can't keep going at that level, which they have Tipp, Galway, Cork, they will spark out at some stage. The are almost showing off at this stage and well like it was just said, showing their A game in April might backfire.
If anything goes wrong it'll be one or both of the points above. THey wont be beaten by a better team, because I don't think there's a better team in the championship at the minute, now unless the likes of Shefflin and co start feeling their age, there wont be a better team out there this season. The only team that can beat Kilkenny will be Kilkenny.

I agree. I think they put a little extra effort in yesterday to teach those boys a lesson and fair play to them for that.

thejuice

Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2009, 12:11:05 PM
I can assure you reillers the cats will beat us by 15-20 points at our very best. Cody at half time when his team are hammering somebody says to them that he will take off anybody who drops their intensity by 5%. Thats  some motivation to keep going because the players know he will drop them. Even if he drops Eddie Brennan and Power he has Richie Hogan on the bench. He'd walk onto any other team in Ireland.

I was talking to a lad who used to do physio with the Cats and also Waterford. He said Cody just has the competitiveness amoung the KK players so stoked up that they never let up even running around cones or whatever. He has them competing for everything. Im sure memories of Charlie Carter are still in the backs of their minds.

He said Waterford in the A-I last year just were so wound up they forgot what they were meant to be doing, even in their warm ups they didnt know where to go or what to do. And then the game started in the same vein.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

slow corner back

Not much doubt about that juice, the aif is a different beast to any other match and it showed with waterford last year

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2009, 12:11:05 PM

You are naive and obviously by into the Cody media play if you think he'll drop players like that, he'll never drop the likes of Shefflin, he had him playing a lot of last season injured ffs. You really buy into the media crap. Come on, everyone knows it was just for show. It is true to an extent but come on. He'll never drop the likes of King Henry and co, no matter what he says to the media or to his players.

INDIANA

You're full of shit Reillers. He would drop Shefflin and Henry knows it. Might explain why his performances are anything less than sublime. Cha/Hickey/Delaney on the bench yesterday with absolutely no guarantees they'll be selected in the championship. Lets face it- they haven't been missed.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2009, 01:17:48 PM
You're full of shit Reillers. He would drop Shefflin and Henry knows it. Might explain why his performances are anything less than sublime. Cha/Hickey/Delaney on the bench yesterday with absolutely no guarantees they'll be selected in the championship. Lets face it- they haven't been missed.
He was playing a good chunk last season below his normal level because he wasn't fully fit. I can't believe that you are that naive that you think the likes of Cha and co wont be picked for the championship. Are you kidding me.

groundlie

Lads you keep harping on about how it will go to the kilkenny players heads. NO CHANCE, they had 12 hurlers on the bench yesterday who will be chomping at the bit to get a shirt, that alone will drive them on. This team will win the all ireland again this year.

INDIANA

Reillers he doesn't have to play them to win the all-ireland. They are that far ahead.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2009, 01:21:46 PM
Reillers he doesn't have to play them to win the all-ireland. They are that far ahead.
I never said they wouldn't but I can't believe that you are that naive to believe every word that comes out of his mouth to the extent that you believe that the likes of Cha wont even make the championship team. I mean come on, you need to take these things with a serious pinch of salt.

wherefromreferee?

Hi lads, for someone that genuinely doesn't know - what was the final score yesterday?

Herself had the remote control from 8pm and I missed Sunday Sport - havent got round to picking up the papers yet.
In your Endo!