Leitrim v Roscommon 31-05-09

Started by 45GoneShort, March 31, 2009, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnBrowne

Fair point about a settled team, but you've gotten me thinking and I reckon that about 36 players have been used in this years national league.  This time last year (and last few yrs) only about 18 players were used in total.  On the bright side we started today without Maxwell, Mulligan, Prior, P McGuinness, S Foley, M Foley, D O'Connor to name but a few and we didn't do too bad.  Before this year if we knew the afore mentioned would be absent we wouldn't have bothered going to the game for fear of the result. At least we now have a panel, the trick is to shape them into a formidable force.  it'll take time but I like the way we are going.  Still a pity about Mulligan.

BigJohnBrowne

Worst fears realised, Emlyn Mulligan is out for the year, cruciate was a full tear.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Tubberman

Massive blow for Laythrum. A great young player, I think Leitrim could still get past the Rossies but it's hard to see them really threatening Mayo without Mulligan.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

As it's getting closer I thought it was time to bring this topic back into play again.
Not a whole pile of optimism around our parts about this one. I suppose the fear is even if we win we are only setting ourselves up for another black day in Castlebar.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

45GoneShort

Quote from: Rossfan on May 13, 2009, 07:59:25 PM
As it's getting closer I thought it was time to bring this topic back into play again.
Not a whole pile of optimism around our parts about this one. I suppose the fear is even if we win we are only setting ourselves up for another black day in Castlebar.

Same view this side of the Carrick.  We are very much "in transition" with the new lads in charge, they've butchered a very solid outift which just needed some guidedance rather than ripping apart the whole team and starting from scratch.  Very little confidence here in Leitrim but at least we have a chance to get a warmup to the finale with the Junior semi final in Carrick this Friday evening, I've gone to a lot of these Junior games over the years and have seen some cracking games as players seem to play with a bit more freedom.

Neither team will fancy playing Mayo. 

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: 45GoneShort on May 13, 2009, 10:28:50 PM

Looking at the another thread, it seems the Mayo boyo's are looking forward to this one too, assembling their best team and focused on a Connaugh final :-X. Anyway not to be looking forward too much as respecting the opposition is always a decent thing to do, no more than Rossfan I wouldn't go to Carrick with a hugh amount of optimism. The league started well enough but by the end we still have a lot of questions to answer. We are still lacking a quality fullback(hard to criticise Nolan but I think he is more a corner back) and CHB. More than that we are lacking scoring forwards. Other than Kilbride I didn't see any forward scoring on a regular basis. It depends on the team that plays and we will know that closer to the date but if Fergie goes with youth and plays a direct game then we would have a decent chance.

(But sure with Mayo waiting in the wings is there much point  :P)

dodo

What happened Ger Heneghan that he is away from the panel, have the Ross got a better freetaker ? I'd guess that Conor Devanney is not robust enough yet for senior intercounty football.

heineken_on_tap

The excuse for Heneghan was work commitments but I'd say there is more to it than that. He wasn't playing all that well and in fairness to the lad he has given it alot over the years and had seen some very bad days.  Donie Shine will take up the free taking duties so i wouldn't be too worried about that. Devanney, in my opinion is a bigger loss and wouldn't be out of place at intercounty level.   

Azzurri

I cant wait for this game. I heard Devaney is back with the panel but that could be just a rumour.
Cathal Cregg is out injured as is Seamie O'Neill.
Leitrim are missing Emyln Mulligan I think.

Rossfan

Heard that about Devaney as well so it might be true. O'Neill/Cregg/Keenan seem to be all out longish term.

SLIGONIAN

Mulligan is out long term, did his cruciate in a club game. For me his loss alone swings the balance in Rossies favour. He is the main free taker and Leitrim always have struggled with that part of the game and ros have shine in there and he fairly prolific. Massive blow to Leitrim.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Quote from: 45GoneShort on May 13, 2009, 10:28:50 PM

Same view this side of the Carrick.  We are very much "in transition" with the new lads in charge, they've butchered a very solid outift which just needed some guidedance rather than ripping apart the whole team and starting from scratch.  Very little confidence here in Leitrim but at least we have a chance to get a warmup to the finale with the Junior semi final in Carrick this Friday evening, I've gone to a lot of these Junior games over the years and have seen some cracking games as players seem to play with a bit more freedom.

You wouldn't believe it could happen!

BigJohnBrowne

they've butchered a very solid outift which just needed some guidedance rather than ripping apart the whole team and starting from scratch.

I think that they have spotted our heretofore dangerous situation of not having anyone coming through the ranks in the next yr or 2 and also the gaps that were in the Dolan 4yr old setup.  They quickly saw that our U21 and Minor teams have a desperate track record in recent years and set about trawling the county.

Now Leitrim have a large panel and to be honest while not everyone played well in every game of the league the players with potential have shone through after a bit of settling.  The mgt team will end up with most of the quality players of last year and hopefully will plug the gaps with new players.  They are also planning for the future years ahead.

In my opinion therefore it's not all negative - I actually see some light at the end of the tunnell.  Leitrim just missed out on promotion. 5 Wins, 1 Draw, 2 lost.  (Waterford and Antrim games cost us dearly)

Play appears to be more freeflowing and not the old Dolan 1 dimensional option of push in Maxwell to 14 and pump Moon balls into him and pray he manages to do something with every 1 in 5.

Mulligan will be a big loss in any event.

Azzurri

From todays Roscommon People
it says O'Neill ruptured his achilles tendon and is out
Cregg has a long term knee injusry which is very slow to respond to treatment and is out
Keenan has a leg injury and is 50/50 for the leitrim game.

Ros' play Limerick tonight in a challenge

Rossfan

Any idea where that game v Limerick is on?