Leitrim v Roscommon 31-05-09

Started by 45GoneShort, March 31, 2009, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azzurri

Quote from: Rossfan on May 14, 2009, 05:14:43 PM
Any idea where that game v Limerick is on?

I haven't a clue. The newspaper just says neutral venue

45GoneShort

Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on May 14, 2009, 03:36:01 PM
they've butchered a very solid outift which just needed some guidedance rather than ripping apart the whole team and starting from scratch.

I think that they have spotted our heretofore dangerous situation of not having anyone coming through the ranks in the next yr or 2 and also the gaps that were in the Dolan 4yr old setup.  They quickly saw that our U21 and Minor teams have a desperate track record in recent years and set about trawling the county.

Now Leitrim have a large panel and to be honest while not everyone played well in every game of the league the players with potential have shone through after a bit of settling.  The mgt team will end up with most of the quality players of last year and hopefully will plug the gaps with new players.  They are also planning for the future years ahead.

In my opinion therefore it's not all negative - I actually see some light at the end of the tunnell.  Leitrim just missed out on promotion. 5 Wins, 1 Draw, 2 lost.  (Waterford and Antrim games cost us dearly)

Play appears to be more freeflowing and not the old Dolan 1 dimensional option of push in Maxwell to 14 and pump Moon balls into him and pray he manages to do something with every 1 in 5.

Mulligan will be a big loss in any event.

In fairness there was issues with strength in depth, as we are lacking any real threat in the forwards and no reliable ball winners at midfield, to their credit M&M have looked under every stone in the county and even done a bit of the Jack Charlton with the Parental rule. But this doesn't gloss over the fact that they have effectively dismantled Leitrims once reliable area of Defense, I mean if we don't have a solid defense for the Championship then we could be in for hammerings in both Connacht and the Qualifiers. Whats the story with playing one of our best corner backs in decades Reynolds at half forward against Clare, persisting with Glancy and O'Flynn who have no real ability when it comes to bringing the ball out of defense. Then the real puzzler is S Foley not even getting a game in the League he's been one of our most consistant performers for the decade, you don't become a bad player over night. 

I think some of the posters on here aren't suprised as they've seen it with their own counties with these in pair in charge previously.

BigJohnBrowne

45 not having a go at you !   

but to give a reply we had a bad start to the league - first 2 games conceded 6-21.  After that our defense improved (Waterford 3 exempt).  Yes I'd prefer to see Reynolds back there but is he able for it as years are passing by.  J Glancy hasn't been that bad bring the ball forward and has scored as far as I can remember.  O Flynn is questionable.  S Foley should make it although this year sees him with the stiffest competition in years,  his player of the yr award was warranted last year but he was almost guaranteed a place prior to this due to lack of competition.  He should be there as hb to add a positive effect up front but he's not suitable to any other role. 

M&M's record isn't that bad with other counties,  they shake things up just like most other manager doe on entry.  I think last few yrs lineouts need a shakeup as they weren't able to make the break - which they proved.

Let's wait and see what will unfold.......  Free winners and takers may decide our fate.

magpie seanie

I hear its €30 a ticket for this match (and I assume all Connacht SFC fixtures). Personally think that's a disgrace if true.

LeppinMick

Ticket price of €30 is for new stand only. All other areas are €20.

Preperations seem very quiet in Leitrim this year with only one challenge against Meath being publicisied. Would rather this game int he Hyde but still reckon if we line out a tried and trusted team we'll be there or there abouts.

rossie mad

I geniunely fear for roscommon in this game.the u-21 defeat to mayo seemed to suck the life out of roscommons remaining league fixtures and in turn started to sow seeds of doubt and low confidence which hadnt been seen in the early part of league or fbd.
the injury to cregg is a big blow.not that worried about o neill as i believe his best days are over.
M+M have more experience at this level in championship than our management team and so may have a small advantage there.
Leitrims full back line in the dolan era of mckeon mcguinness and co was in my eyes probably one of the best in the country and that is no exaggeration.you ask galway inside forward line and they would probably sooner pick a dublin,mayo full back line to play against than that leitrim one.if thats being changed about then thats to our advantage.

The obvious weakness in the leitrim side would be in the forwards we should shade that area but then it all depends on any new talent which may have been found by morans search through the winter.

in previous years rossies would be queitly confident going into this fixture but this year it feels like going into the unknown not knowing anything about what we are facing.

im going to be betting on a draw in this game as i believe it will be a very tough close derby game.

looking forward to it however and carrick will be buzzing that day.

heineken_on_tap

Azzuri, any word on how the match with Limerick went?

45GoneShort

Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on May 15, 2009, 12:22:31 AM
45 not having a go at you !   

but to give a reply we had a bad start to the league - first 2 games conceded 6-21.  After that our defense improved (Waterford 3 exempt).  Yes I'd prefer to see Reynolds back there but is he able for it as years are passing by.  J Glancy hasn't been that bad bring the ball forward and has scored as far as I can remember.  O Flynn is questionable.  S Foley should make it although this year sees him with the stiffest competition in years,  his player of the yr award was warranted last year but he was almost guaranteed a place prior to this due to lack of competition.  He should be there as hb to add a positive effect up front but he's not suitable to any other role. 

M&M's record isn't that bad with other counties,  they shake things up just like most other manager doe on entry.  I think last few yrs lineouts need a shakeup as they weren't able to make the break - which they proved.

Let's wait and see what will unfold.......  Free winners and takers may decide our fate.

We may have conceded less in the last six games but I wouldn't brag about it considering the opposition (Kilkenny, Carlow..), I think you'll find the Roscommon forwards division to be better units than Wicklow, Antrim and Waterford.  They fairly shake things up alright!! But for the better or the worse only time will tell.

Putting all my arguements to one side, I'll still be heading to Carrick Sean on the 31st mad to beat that shower from across the water!!

p.s. I mentioned the last time we were playing Ross in the Junior game tonight, its actually Mayo. Good game in prospect none the less.

Azzurri

Admission charges for the Roscommon V Leitrim Match are as follows

Seated Stand 30euro (Limited Availability)

Terraces 20euro

Under 16s 5euro

10-euro Refunds for OAP and students at designated stiles on terrace tickets only.

Group Tickets [U16] are available at 50cent per ticket. Early booking of these tickets is advisable.

45GoneShort

Quote from: Azzurri on May 15, 2009, 11:23:59 AM
Admission charges for the Roscommon V Leitrim Match are as follows

Seated Stand 30euro (Limited Availability)

Terraces 20euro

Under 16s 5euro

10-euro Refunds for OAP and students at designated stiles on terrace tickets only.

Group Tickets [U16] are available at 50cent per ticket. Early booking of these tickets is advisable.

Great to see Connacht Council are tuned into the current situation facing the country!!. I hope to God that Stand in Carrick is empty come the 31st May but there will some people mad enough to buy stand tickets. 

Rossfan

As a season ticket holder I will be getting into the stand automatically.
However if I was a paying "customer" there is no bloody way I'd pay €30 into a first round Championship game.
I heard we beat Limerick last night but have no idea of the score,the lineout or where  the game was.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BigJohnBrowne

Cregg and O Neill injuries are bull - they'll be on the field on the day, possibly introduced as super subs to get team and crowd going.  Fergie is a cute manager, he'll maximise every situation.

heineken_on_tap

If he gets O'Neill on the pitch in Carrick he should be cannonised

Azzurri

Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on May 15, 2009, 12:18:49 PM
Cregg and O Neill injuries are bull - they'll be on the field on the day, possibly introduced as super subs to get team and crowd going.  Fergie is a cute manager, he'll maximise every situation.

There's not a hope of them playing.

Rossfan

From the Ros People :-

" Roscommon's senior footballers are facing an injury crisis as they continue their preparations for the Connacht Championship first round game against Leitrim in Carrick-on-Shannon on May 31st. Definitely out is midfielder Seamus O'Neill, right, who ruptured his achilles tendon and is likely to be out of action for at least four months. The loss of the big midfielder will be seen as a major setback to Roscommon.

Cathal Cregg is another who will not be playing in Carrick-on-Shannon  against Leitrim. His long-term knee injury is very slow to respond to treatment  and he will "not be fit to line out against Leitrim" according to team manager Fergal O'Donnell who spoke to me at a Roscommon training session on Tuesday night last.

Also doubtful for the big game is St Barry's clubman David Keenan, who is struggling with a leg injury. "He is only 50/50 at this stage" according to Fergal.
  Team manger Fergal O'Donnell was philosophical about the injury problems afftecting his squad. "We have a big panel of dedicated players that are working hard and that's (injuries) why we have a big panel – so we will just have to get on with it" he said."

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM