Leitrim v Roscommon 31-05-09

Started by 45GoneShort, March 31, 2009, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

45GoneShort

Now that we're both as good as finished with the league, we might as get focussed on the 31st in Carrick. 

Neither will be heading into this game with great league form especially ourselves, but as always we seem to up our performance by an extra 20% when we see the primrose and blue.  Mind you it should be some craic around Carrick and Drumshanbo that weekend.

RedandGreenSniper

Might take a trip to this one if there's no club games in Mayo. Should be a belter and we'll get to see who we'll be playing (providing we get over NY :P) in the semi-final. Roscommon have the better league form and considering that that is in Division 3 compared to Leitrim's Division 4, there'll only be one team favourites for this. I thought at the start of the year that with M and M involved Leitrim could be dark horses in Div 4 but they've flattered to deceive thus far. Still, they are never far away from any Connacht team when it comes to championship and they seem to reserve a particular hatred for the Rossies!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Owenmoresider

Will be there hopefully to observe this rivalry in person for the first time since the early 90's, maybe 93 or so, Gerry Flanagan got the line that day anyway in Carrick. Should be good, even if the standard isn't great. Still the real stuff is on the other side of the draw, so they're wasting their time all the same. :P

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 31, 2009, 10:14:34 PM
we'll get to see who we'll be playing (providing we get over NY :P) in the semi-final.
Tbf I think even Johnno will have difficulty talking down yer chances in that one!

Leitrim do seem to reserve particular hatred for the Ros indeed. We don't seem to matter too much to them, at least once you head south of Drumkeerin anyway.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 31, 2009, 10:29:36 PM
Still the real stuff is on the other side of the draw, so they're wasting their time all the same. :P

Yeah hard see past Galway alright  :P
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

45GoneShort

Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 31, 2009, 10:29:36 PM

Leitrim do seem to reserve particular hatred for the Ros indeed. We don't seem to matter too much to them, at least once you head south of Drumkeerin anyway.

There is a real deep rivalry between Leitrim and Roscommon that I think can be put down to the facts -

1. Four 2nd Level schools on the border Carrick, Drumshanbo, Drumkerrin and Mohill (A few boys have been known!!)
2. Carrick on Shannon is alive with Roscommon and Leitrim revellers at the weekend.
3. Carrick would be a place where the majority of people in north roscommon find their employment.

I know myself from first hand experience that there is a band of Leitrim people (i wouldn't call them football people) who only come out when Roscommon are in town.  You can be gauranteed that this will probably be the only sell out game in the knock out phase of the provincial football championships this year, and before you ask Carrick holds roughly 17,500 since the new slatted shed went up!!

Rossfan

I had been looking forward to this one for some time but after the last two efforts by our boys I'm beginning to dread the thought of what might happen. The only thing keeping my hopes up is that we've a great record in Carrick so we might still kick their smelly arses for them.
There'll be some craic round Carrick alright but unfortunately domesticated oul' lads like me will have to go home afterwords. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

I'll never forget Duggans point from the corner flag in 94 in a packed hyde, Ros lost. Its fairly hateful rivalry all right, glad im a neutral, and always worth going to, Leitrim owe Ros one, the last few matches really sickened Leitrim so im tipping Leitrm to sneak it. Leitrim need to get out of the morale victory typecast, a loss is a loss. Ros i think are being shown to be better than they actually are because the standard of div3 is so poor, not unlike ourselves in div4.

Either way neither have a chance against Mayo in castlebar pity, really only a wooden spoon match ;). Sure ye'll all be tipping Galway on the other side of the draw im sure ;).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

45GoneShort

Bad news for Leitrim - Emlyn Mulligan is probably out for the rest of the year with a bad knee injury, definitely out for the Ross game.

Farrandeelin

RGS, the first round of club championship games are due to take place in Mayo that weekend. So you won't be at it! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BigJohnBrowne

Heard he got a v bad doing but hoped it was over exaggerated. I'm gutted over the official news.  Rossies will relish their chance now.  The year is not turning out as hoped and losing to Ros is going to make for a very miserable summer.

Rossfan

A miserable Summer in Leitrim is just what the doctor ordered. ;D
Anyway werent ye giving out about the Tommy Murphy Cup till ye got rid of it. That would have given ye a game or two or even a win or two over the Summer.
Instead ye're going into the Qualifiers again where I believe Laythrum has a 0% record -- 7 games 7 defeats.

45GoneShort

Quote from: Rossfan on April 11, 2009, 03:42:50 PM
A miserable Summer in Leitrim is just what the doctor ordered. ;D
Anyway werent ye giving out about the Tommy Murphy Cup till ye got rid of it. That would have given ye a game or two or even a win or two over the Summer.
Instead ye're going into the Qualifiers again where I believe Laythrum has a 0% record -- 7 games 7 defeats.

Its not all bad - Katherine Lynchs Dromahaire won their semi final of the Celebrity Baineteoir Today 2-6 0-11 against Rockwell  ;D

Rossfan

She's a mighty woman altogether.
Maybe she could replace Mulligan

Azzurri

Conor Devaney, Ger Heneghan and Pat Connell have left the Roscommon panel for various reasons.

Cathal Cregg is injured and unlikely to play the Leitrim game.

AhFeckRef

Just in from the Clare game.  Concerning that it's just ~6 weeks to the championship and no sign of a settled first team.