The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblack4ever

I would like to point out that the Republican majority in the House and Senate from 2001 to 2006 raised the debt ceiling 7 times to fund Bush's unfunded wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the unfunded Medicare Part D program that was nothing but a give away to the pharnaceutical companies and God knows what else...

The hypocrisy of people like John Boehner, Eric Cantor, and Mitch McConnell knows no bounds. TO you talk about runaway spending by Obama. What would you call Bush's efforts in that area? Oh and I deliberately used the word mis-spoke in my response to you. I got used to hearing it during Bush's term in office since it was used so often by his press secretaries or spokesman defending GWB.

Mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

dec

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 02, 2011, 06:34:19 AMif you're spending more money than you're bringing in, YOU NEED TO CUT BACK ON SPENDING
or bring in more money

Tyrones own

Quote from: heganboy on August 02, 2011, 09:30:52 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on August 02, 2011, 06:34:19 AM
Don't know where you went to School HB but as in any household, if you're spending more money than you're bringing in, YOU NEED TO CUT BACK ON SPENDING
you could of course go out and get a third or forth job but oh that's right, there aren't any

TO, you are correct, if there is an issues in a household that would be a fairly common sense approach all right, however this isn't a household we're talking about, its the biggest economy in the world and the economics are just a teensy weensy bit more complicated.

Stopping giving a free ride to the richest people in America, and the associated tax income increase. Closing the huge corporate tax loopholes for special interest, huge associated tax increase. Paying a sensible amount of tax at the pump, huge associated tax increase. All those tax increases, and add in the economic benefit of government increased spending and look what we have here- a balanced budget worst case, or heaven forbid even a surplus.

Multiplier effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplier_(economics) would show that the increase in government spending domestically would actually strengthen the economy, bring more people back to work and increase the amount of money being spent in the economy.

But I see your point, the tea party would rather run the economy as if it were a household, specifically a born again red neck, god bless america, left school at 16, husband wife and two kids with a white picket fence with an income of 20 grand working for an american car company that wouldn't be in existence if big government hadn't already bailed it out against the tea party's own economic policy. Oh wait, it doesn't have an economic policy that any sane person could actually make work in the united states economy of $14.5 trillion dollars per year, or 20% of the global GDP.

in case i wasn't clear on my point IF YOU CUT BACK ON GOVERNMENT SPENDING YOU ARE FUCKED

Listen... I don't need any of your elitist condescension or insults for that matter,
let me then put it to you in words you will understand; the great one himself.. I couldn't possibly do any better than this;

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government can not pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that 'the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."  :o

-- Senator Barack H. Obama, March  2006

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

QuoteTO you talk about runaway spending by Obama. What would you call Bush's efforts in that area?
WTF   :D pray tell you of all people would never be guilty of equating the chosen one with the worst president in living history.....  :o

QuoteOh and I deliberately used the word mis-spoke in my response to you.
No... Let me help you with it dear, as it's clear you have a pretty selective memory, the word was Lie :-X
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 03, 2011, 12:55:55 AM
Quote from: heganboy on August 02, 2011, 09:30:52 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on August 02, 2011, 06:34:19 AM
Don't know where you went to School HB but as in any household, if you're spending more money than you're bringing in, YOU NEED TO CUT BACK ON SPENDING
you could of course go out and get a third or forth job but oh that's right, there aren't any

TO, you are correct, if there is an issues in a household that would be a fairly common sense approach all right, however this isn't a household we're talking about, its the biggest economy in the world and the economics are just a teensy weensy bit more complicated.

Stopping giving a free ride to the richest people in America, and the associated tax income increase. Closing the huge corporate tax loopholes for special interest, huge associated tax increase. Paying a sensible amount of tax at the pump, huge associated tax increase. All those tax increases, and add in the economic benefit of government increased spending and look what we have here- a balanced budget worst case, or heaven forbid even a surplus.

Multiplier effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplier_(economics) would show that the increase in government spending domestically would actually strengthen the economy, bring more people back to work and increase the amount of money being spent in the economy.

But I see your point, the tea party would rather run the economy as if it were a household, specifically a born again red neck, god bless america, left school at 16, husband wife and two kids with a white picket fence with an income of 20 grand working for an american car company that wouldn't be in existence if big government hadn't already bailed it out against the tea party's own economic policy. Oh wait, it doesn't have an economic policy that any sane person could actually make work in the united states economy of $14.5 trillion dollars per year, or 20% of the global GDP.

in case i wasn't clear on my point IF YOU CUT BACK ON GOVERNMENT SPENDING YOU ARE FUCKED

Listen... I don't need any of your elitist condescension or insults for that matter,
let me then put it to you in words you will understand; the great one himself.. I couldn't possibly do any better than this;

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government can not pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that 'the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."  :o

-- Senator Barack H. Obama, March  2006

Can you think of anything that happened after 2006 that might have put a drain on the Fed. Anything at all?
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: dec on August 02, 2011, 10:54:58 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on August 02, 2011, 06:34:19 AMif you're spending more money than you're bringing in, YOU NEED TO CUT BACK ON SPENDING
or bring in more money
The top 50% already pay 97% of taxes Revenue ::) collected... do you want their first born also, this kind of thinking will drive
the wealth out of this country in search of tax havens elsewhere then who are they coming after  :o
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Can you think of anything that happened after 2006 that might have put a drain on the Fed. Anything at all?
Actually Yes...Pelosi and Reid took control of the purse strings  ;D
  - Walter Lippmann

heganboy

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 03, 2011, 01:13:07 AM
or bring in more money
The top 50% already pay 97% of taxes Revenue ::) collected... do you want their first born also, this kind of thinking will drive
the wealth out of this country in search of tax havens elsewhere then who are they coming after  :o

The effective tax rate for the top 50% of americans is 13.7%. Yep thats right less than 14 out of every hundred dollars you make goes on taxes. Anyone not paying US taxes care to comment?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tyrones own

Quote from: heganboy on August 03, 2011, 02:42:08 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on August 03, 2011, 01:13:07 AM
or bring in more money

The effective tax rate for the top 50% of americans is 13.7%. Yep thats right less than 14 out of every hundred dollars you make goes on taxes. Anyone not paying US taxes care to comment?
Eh...ok, don't know exactly where I fall percentage wise in America but I'm paying a hell of a lot more than that :(
Not sure where you come up with that figure ???

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/incometaxandtheirs/a/whopaysmost.htm
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 03, 2011, 01:04:51 AM

QuoteOh and I deliberately used the word mis-spoke in my response to you.
No... Let me help you with it dear, as it's clear you have a pretty selective memory, the word was Lie :-X

Really? And how do you know that?

You think there is simply no possibility that he misspoke and said "father" instead of "grandfather" when talking about the man who was basically his father for the second half of his childhood?

What possible advantage would there have been for Obama to invent WWII experience for father instead of using his grandfather's real experience to make his point? His life story had already been out there for more than a decade.

Your pathological personal dislike of him is rather sad and examples like this really don't help your credibility. You can dislike someone's politics yet be fair-minded.

muppet

J70 the President of the USA doesn't mis-speak. You misunderestimate them.
MWWSI 2017

Groucho

I'll bet TO's shite doesn't smell either :D
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Groucho on August 03, 2011, 04:38:02 PM
I'll bet TO's shite doesn't smell either :D

Proabably because it was intelligently designed!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Oraisteach

It's as if GB took his glutted elephant into the American living room and it had acute di-hoor-iya-hi-hay all over the place, and Obama got the job of cleaning it with a broom and dustpan while a group of tea-sipping amnesiacs are gawking in through the windows saying, "Would you look at the feckin' mess that boy's making."

Tyrones own

Quote from: Oraisteach on August 03, 2011, 04:54:26 PM
It's as if GB took his glutted elephant into the American living room and it had acute di-hoor-iya-hi-hay all over the place, and Obama got the job of cleaning it with a broom and dustpan while a group of tea-sipping amnesiacs are gawking in through the windows saying, "Would you look at the feckin' mess that boy's making."
Of course a person paying little to no attention could stillllllllllllll be hanging on to that but the fact is GW had spent far too much money in his 8 yrs so
that needed to change....remember "the buck stops here"speech  ::).
So what did Obama do when he got in....add another 4 trillion dollars of deficit
spending in only 3 yrs mind you, and look where we are!
But hey don't let the facts get in the way in still blaming Bush  ::)
  - Walter Lippmann