The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

So what would you say to the parents (like myself) who view this as an overstep by the teacher and are not comfortable that he is  instilling his values on our kids at an age that we feel is inappropriate?

J70

I don't know.

I guess I would debate the issues and concerns with you if you're open to it. Beyond that it becomes a political and choice thing.

I won't be enrolling my kids in any Hillsdale College-Ron DeSantis christian nationalist-influenced program where the history of slavery is downplayed, where the supposed supremacy of white Christian culture is promoted and pseudoscience is taught.

For now, I will be keeping them in school in NYC where, despite other issues, bigotry and pseudoscience is not a factor.

trueblue1234

Quote from: whitey on September 06, 2022, 01:08:23 PM
So what would you say to the parents (like myself) who view this as an overstep by the teacher and are not comfortable that he is  instilling his values on our kids at an age that we feel is inappropriate?
Out of interest what values is it that he's instilling that you have an issue with?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

whitey

There's nothing to debate

"I'm uncomfortable with you pushing an agenda on my 8 year old without my consent and I want you to stop".  Is that an unreasonable position?

(As I mentioned earlier in the thread-3 kids from  the class of my sons old school are now transgender . All 3 are the kids of teachers. I'm very, very cynical and skeptical when it comes to what is being promoted in public schools without parents consent)

J70

I guess I'll make sure I vote then.

Because in the US, opposition to gay and trans issues goes hand in hand with the promotion of (literally) whitewashed history and science denial.

whitey

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 06, 2022, 01:24:53 PM
Quote from: whitey on September 06, 2022, 01:08:23 PM
Out of interest what values is it that he's instilling that you have an issue with?

From the article

"But the school says it supports including lessons on cross-dressing and so-called "trans-sexuality," or when a man pretends to be a woman, in its third grade curriculum."

His values lead him (and the school) to believe that this is an appropriate conversation for them  to be having with someone else 8 year old-I disagree

trueblue1234

Is knowledge of transgender a bad thing? Perhaps the age is a bit young for them to understand but I can't foresee what issues it's likely to cause. understanding of different people usually doesn't cause adverse effects. Whereas suppression rarely helps.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 06, 2022, 01:38:28 PM

Because in the US, opposition to gay and trans issues goes hand in hand with the promotion of (literally) whitewashed history and science denial.

I'm against this because (in my opinion) it's age inappropriate.

So I should I just sit down and STFU (and am a homophone/science denier for having the audacity for even questioning what my kids are being "taught" in school"

whitey

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 06, 2022, 01:45:36 PM
Is knowledge of transgender a bad thing? Perhaps the age is a bit young for them to understand but I can't foresee what issues it's likely to cause. understanding of different people usually doesn't cause adverse effects. Whereas suppression rarely helps.

My sons have had gay teachers and friends whose parents are same sex couples as far back as I can remember. They have 3 former classmates who are transgender.

As a parent I do not want a teacher taking it upon themselves to promote a particular agenda or narrative to my 8 year old when it comes to matters of transgenderism

And on that note-well agree to disagree

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 06, 2022, 01:46:16 PM

So I should I just sit down and STFU (and am a homophone/science denier for having the audacity for even questioning what my kids are being "taught" in school"

If you're going to rely on outside forces to come in and start throwing the "groomer" label around in a case like this, I've no sympathy for your position.

Beyond that, you personally just said there was no debate to be had, so I'm not sure what else to tell you beyond fighting it out on the political stage, where all the associated baggage for your position (even if not your personal beliefs) comes into the picture.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 06, 2022, 02:00:13 PM

If you're going to rely on outside forces to come in and start throwing the "groomer" label around in a case like this, I've no sympathy for your position.

Beyond that, you personally just said there was no debate to be had, so I'm not sure what else to tell you beyond fighting it out on the political stage, where all the associated baggage for your position comes into the picture.

My wife and I educated to the postgraduate level (as are most of our friends)

Why do you think we would rely on  "outside forces" to come in and fight our corner for us ?

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 06, 2022, 02:05:13 PM

Beyond that, you personally just said there was no debate to be had, so I'm not sure what else to tell you beyond fighting it out on the political stage, where all the associated baggage for your position comes into the picture.

Why do you think we would rely on  "outside forces" to come in and fight our corner for us ?

I was referring to the entity in your article which accused the teacher in question of being a groomer.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 06, 2022, 02:10:31 PM

I was referring to the entity in your article which accused the teacher in question of being a groomer.

What if I'm just a concerned parent and I'm against this because (in my opinion) it's age inappropriate.

Should I just sit down and STFU (because if I do otherwise, I'll be accused of being a homophobel)

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 06, 2022, 02:43:21 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 06, 2022, 02:10:31 PM

What if I'm just a concerned parent and I'm against this because (in my opinion) it's age inappropriate.

Should I just sit down and STFU (because if I do otherwise, I'll be accused of being a homophobel)

Well then one would expect you to engage in discussion about when it IS appropriate and not say there's nothing to debate.

J70

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 06, 2022, 01:45:36 PM

Suppression helps those who want to maintain the traditional status quo and not acknowledge that there are real people with real biological issues they're trying to live with.