Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 31, 2022, 03:15:39 PM
Quote from: fearbrags on August 31, 2022, 02:59:21 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 31, 2022, 02:16:37 PM
I was away over the weekend and heard an interesting story

A girl who used to be in my sons class has come out as a lesbian

She is in a lesbian relationship with a biological male who is trans and identifies as a female

Doesn't bother or upset me in the least, but I wonder how the heck people are supposed to keep all this stuff straight (no pun intended) when it comes to the use of pronouns etc

Where do you live , ? Your son goes to the ""Jerry Springer school"" ? Personally  i dont know or never have known any trans gender person . I am sure In my chance meeting of one , the pronoun will be something we can get past quiet easily , even if i get it wrong , I dont see it as being that big of deal . I   think on the large scheme of things, it is way way down the list and it is only a few ""bigots"" that would be putting any thought into this . Now of course that is just my opinion  ;)

I'm in Massachusetts and my sons go to school with the kids of middle class and upper middle class white liberals for the most part

They're in high school now, but from a class of about 30 in junior High-there are 3 transgender people-1 girl is now a boy and 2 boys are now girls (all 3 are kids of teachers)

Now maybe they are genuinely transgender or non binary, but a lot of this is flat out attention seeking IMHO which just takes attention and resources away from genuinely transgender people

(Edit-do you live in the States? There are laws being proposed that would make it a crime to mis gender or dead name someone. This is actually something you have to deal with daily believe it or not. One of our neighbors sons is also transgender so you have to tread very carefully when asking about him/her))

"There are laws being proposed that would make it a crime to mis gender or dead name someone"

Really?

Where?

What does "dead name" mean?

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2022, 06:22:12 PM
Quote from: Gmac on August 31, 2022, 02:02:21 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2022, 11:35:07 AM
Did the mods delete Gmac's "drag queens are pedos" "offerings"?
not what I said

Sure go ahead and correct it then.
I have nothing to correct , you have

whitey

Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2022, 06:23:26 PM

She is in a lesbian relationship with a biological male who is trans and identifies as a female

Doesn't bother or upset me in the least, but I wonder how the heck people are supposed to keep all this stuff straight (no pun intended) when it comes to the use of pronouns etc

Where do you live , ? Your son goes to the ""Jerry Springer school"" ? Personally  i dont know or never have known any trans gender person . I am sure In my chance meeting of one , the pronoun will be something we can get past quiet easily , even if i get it wrong , I dont see it as being that big of deal . I   think on the large scheme of things, it is way way down the list and it is only a few ""bigots"" that would be putting any thought into this . Now of course that is just my opinion  ;)

I'm in Massachusetts and my sons go to school with the kids of middle class and upper middle class white liberals for the most part

They're in high school now, but from a class of about 30 in junior High-there are 3 transgender people-1 girl is now a boy and 2 boys are now girls (all 3 are kids of teachers)

Now maybe they are genuinely transgender or non binary, but a lot of this is flat out attention seeking IMHO which just takes attention and resources away from genuinely transgender people

(Edit-do you live in the States? There are laws being proposed that would make it a crime to mis gender or dead name someone. This is actually something you have to deal with daily believe it or not. One of our neighbors sons is also transgender so you have to tread very carefully when asking about him/her))

"There are laws being proposed that would make it a crime to mis gender or dead name someone"

Really?

Where?

CA passed a law that was struck down in court-actually you could get jail time under that law

https://www.them.us/story/california-court-case-misgendering-law-struck-down/amp

Another similar case in WI:

https://www.thecentersquare.com/wisconsin/will-defending-middle-schoolers-accused-of-misgendering-in-kiel-schools/article_72e6d6f8-d5e0-11ec-bd7a-33787320731a.amp.html

Deadnaming is when you continue to call someone by their old name (eg John transitions to Joan yet you continue to call them John)

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 31, 2022, 06:39:18 PM

Really?

Where?

CA passed a law that was struck down in court-actually you could get jail time under that law

https://www.them.us/story/california-court-case-misgendering-law-struck-down/amp

https://www.thecentersquare.com/wisconsin/will-defending-middle-schoolers-accused-of-misgendering-in-kiel-schools/article_72e6d6f8-d5e0-11ec-bd7a-33787320731a.amp.html

Deadnaming is when you continue to call someone by their old name (eg John transitions to Joan yet you continue to call them John)

Ok.

Yes, I can obviously see the first amendment issues.

Doesn't mean that the dignity of trans people should not be respected or that someone who would intentionally and repeatedly maliciously "deadname" someone isn't an ignorant p***k.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on August 31, 2022, 06:30:25 PM
not what I said

From what I recall you responded to Eamonn's comment about guns with a remark about "pedos" and drag queen story hours and antifa. Someone then removed both your comment and my asking you what you were on about.

Anyway, doesn't really matter.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2022, 07:16:22 PM

Really?

Where?

Ok.

Doesn't mean that the dignity of trans people should not be respected or that someone who would intentionally and repeatedly maliciously "deadname" someone isn't an ignorant p***k.

Agree-but would it be something you'd  jail a person for?

Puckoon

It's very straightforward. She is in a relationship. With Whom, isn't anyone's concern. What is so hard to follow about that?

Main Street

The Kremlin's useful idiot dog just can't help himself, he's gone from default meltdown mode into turbo meltdown mode.

Trump on Truth Social (what an oxymoron!! :D)  "has now amplified QAnon-promoting accounts at least 70 times since joining and actively using Truth Social".
'All of these posts are from just the last few hours.'
https://twitter.com/AlKapDC/status/1564643355123933186

Trump (a well known supporter of the fascist party of Le Pen) bragged he had 'Intelligence' on Macron's Sex Life
https://tinyurl.com/jealous-guy-Trump

I liked this snippet.
'Trump initially signaled his support for Macron's 2017 presidential rival, inviting far-right nationalist Marine LePen to Trump Tower and praising her in interviews. But Macron shrugged off the flirtation with his rival and invited Trump as the guest of honor to a Bastille Day parade in 2017. Trump was so taken with the elaborate military pageantry on display that it inspired him to ask for a military parade of his own.'

https://tinyurl.com/Seth-Hettena
The FBI photo taken in the "45 Office" at Mar-a-Lago shows six documents were stamped HCS—HUMINT Control System.
This is the sensitive compartmented information system designed to protect information from clandestine human sources.
Three classified documents were in Trump's desk.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2022, 07:18:39 PM
not what I said

From what I recall you responded to Eamonn's comment about guns with a remark about "pedos" and drag queen story hours and antifa. Someone then removed both your comment and my asking you what you were on about.

too much censorship on the board see ya

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Main Street on August 31, 2022, 07:51:55 PM
The FBI photo taken in the "45 Office" at Mar-a-Lago shows six documents were stamped HCS—HUMINT Control System.
This is the sensitive compartmented information system designed to protect information from clandestine human sources.
Three classified documents were in Trump's desk.

Fake news - that's the carpet in Hunter Biden's bedroom

Eamonnca1

not what I said

It's precisely what you said. Why you're not banned I do not know.

whitey

Quote from: Puckoon on August 31, 2022, 07:50:17 PM

It's very straightforward. She is in a relationship. With Whom, isn't anyone's concern. What is so hard to follow about that?

It's not actually that straightforward (no pun intended) and is causing all types of issues for the schools, parents and students

https://www.westernmassnews.com/2022/04/19/lawsuit-alleges-ludlow-school-talked-with-children-about-gender-identity/

J70

Quote from: Gmac on August 31, 2022, 07:58:20 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2022, 07:18:39 PM
not what I said

too much censorship on the board see ya

Yes Gmac, your ravings are very heavily censored. ;D

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 31, 2022, 07:40:31 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2022, 07:16:22 PM

Really?

Where?

Ok.

Agree-but would it be something you'd  jail a person for?

Its depends on the severity.

In most cases, obviously no (which doesn't mean I wouldn't give someone who worked for me the boot for such behaviour if its was on a malicious basis).

In the more severe cases you'd probably be crossing the lines into other criminal areas anyway. But, we already have similar when hate crime offenses are added onto other violence or harassment.

Its a novel issue and one society is grappling with.  I certainly don't have well thought through answers.

Hound

Interesting result from the Alaska House of Representative election to fill a vacant seat.
They used a PR system, definitely far more fair than First Past the Post, which is used in the UK and I had thought was always used in the US.
Only 3 candidates in this vote, so relatively simple:

First Count:
Peltola DEM 76k
Palin REP 59k
Begich REP 53k
(Republicans with approx 60% of the first choice votes)

Begich eliminated and his votes transferred as follows:
Peltola 15k
Palin 27k
Non-transferrable 11k

Final result
Peltola 91k
Palin 86k

In my experience, many real life Republicans (unlike the ones on social media and on here) are mortified with Trump's antics and the backing he gets from GOP. Completely embarrassed about the lies spewed about the election, FBI, etc., etc.
I think this is shown by the number who gave their second choice to the Democrat candidate here rather than the Trump candidate (35% of those who transferred, did so to the Democrat).