Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2022, 09:48:19 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2022, 09:37:14 PM
Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2022, 09:21:10 PM
Right....but you're downplaying it as some type of ginned up right wing conspiracy

This is an issue that's bleeding out into the suburbs

FFS-the Democrats themselves primaried Larry Kasner

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/08/homicide-surge-progressives-district-attorneys-479966

It's ginned up as in the GOP will attempt to paint ALL Dems as part of this movement, while also not acknowledging the real problems driving it.

And I've already said, today and previously, that I and many other NYC Dems elected Eric Adams partly in response to this type of stuff being pushed too far.

As with Bernie Sanders, it's why the effort to paint all Dems this way is bullshit.

Remember, we discussing this because you think the Dems are as bad, nationally, as the GOP.

Well I know it's not ALL Democrats

FFS I linked in several articles that showed ONE individual was  hijacking all these primaries.....and then you all jumped down my neck

You said the Dems "deserve to get pummeled in law and order alone" and we went from there.

But whatever... moving on.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2022, 12:37:56 PM
Right....but you're downplaying it as some type of ginned up right wing conspiracy

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/08/homicide-surge-progressives-district-attorneys-479966

It's ginned up as in the GOP will attempt to paint ALL Dems as part of this movement, while also not acknowledging the real problems driving it.

And I've already said, today and previously, that I and many other NYC Dems elected Eric Adams partly in response to this type of stuff being pushed too far.

As with Bernie Sanders, it's why the effort to paint all Dems this way is bullshit.

Remember, we discussing this because you think the Dems are as bad, nationally, as the GOP.

FFS I linked in several articles that showed ONE individual was  hijacking all these primaries.....and then you all jumped down my neck

You said the Dems "deserve to get pummeled in law and order alone" and we went from there.

They own it

The same way (unfortunately) Republicans own MTG and co

The difference is MTG is just a clown whereas these DAs are costing lives

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2022, 01:04:42 PM

They own it

The same way (unfortunately) Republicans own MJT and co

The difference is MJT is just a clown whereas these DAs are costing lives

As I pointed out yesterday, GOP policies cost plenty of lives, but given the unity and homogeneity of the right, they don't cost them anything.

And MTG and the rest are only the more squalid examples of the intellectual and moral bankruptcy of the GOP in the era of Trump. They're absolutely representative of where the overall party stands. The party which last week called the Capitol riot legitimate political "discourse" and expelled hardline conservatives Kinzinger and Cheney purely because they had the integrity and decency to disavow Trump's bullshit.

These DAs are NOT representative of where the overall Democratic Party stands.

Gmac

Hillary and co caught spying on trump tower and white house .
Surely they will lock her up this time

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2022, 01:23:56 PM
Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2022, 01:04:42 PM

They own it

The same way (unfortunately) Republicans own MJT and co

The difference is MJT is just a clown whereas these DAs are costing lives

As I pointed out yesterday, GOP policies cost plenty of lives, but given the unity and homogeneity of the right, they don't cost them anything.

And MTG and the rest are only the more squalid examples of the intellectual and moral bankruptcy of the GOP in the era of Trump. They're absolutely representative of where the overall party stands. The party which last week called the Capitol riot legitimate political "discourse" and expelled hardline conservatives Kinzinger and Cheney purely because they had the integrity and decency to disavow Trump's bullshit.

These DAs are NOT representative of where the overall Democratic Party stands.

So if they're not representative of the Democratic Party why won't you criticize them then

Why do you get your knickers in a bunch when facts are pointed out about who funded their election campaigns

You have twisted yourself into a pretzel trying to justify whats going on and minimizing the impact of their policies

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2022, 04:41:00 PM

So if they're not representative of the Democratic Party why won't you criticize them then

Why do you get your knickers in a bunch when facts are pointed out about who funded their election campaigns

You have twisted yourself into a pretzel trying to justify whats going on and minimizing the impact of their policies

Who's getting their knickers in a twist?

I simply asked why you felt the need to make the Soros comment? I don't think anyone who reads this thread is that ignorant or naïve that they wouldn't recognize how the right uses Soros as an inflammatory bogeyman. If you didn't want to address it then you could have just ignored the question.

I've already said that I voted against these progressive-type candidates the past. That goes for Bernie in the past two presidential elections. It goes for the candidates in last year's mayoral election in NYC when I voted for a moderate former police captain. My politics are fairly centrist, like most Irish people.

As for minimizing the effects of their policies, simply pointing out the bleeding obvious fact that the right overhypes everything (effectively so as they will in this year's election) and that there is in fact no crime wave in the NYC subways or streets is hardly controversial. That doesn't mean that I think that it is ok for repeat offenders charged with violent crimes to be released while they await their day in court, and if any of these DAs is doing that, then I absolutely condemn them.

The Democratic Party is basically a coalition of various different interests, united in opposition to the GOP, which is a very uniform party which has coalesced around reactionary cultural positions. As with any coalition, at times you're going to have different interests pushing the envelope in ways that other parts of the party disagree with.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2022, 06:00:33 PM
Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2022, 04:41:00 PM

Who's getting their knickers in a twist?

I simply asked why you felt the need to make the Soros comment? I don't think anyone who reads this thread is that ignorant or naïve that they wouldn't recognize how the right uses Soros as an inflammatory bogeyman. If you didn't want to address it then you could have just ignored the question.

I've already said that I voted against these progressive-type candidates the past. That goes for Bernie in the past two presidential elections. It goes for the candidates in last year's mayoral election in NYC when I voted for a moderate former police captain. My politics are fairly centrist, like most Irish people.

As for minimizing the effects of their policies, simply pointing out the bleeding obvious fact that the right overhypes everything (effectively so as they will in this year's election) and that there is in fact no crime wave in the NYC subways or streets is hardly controversial. That doesn't mean that I think that it is ok for repeat offenders charged with violent crimes to be released while they await their day in court, and if any of these DAs is doing that, then I absolutely condemn them.

The Democratic Party is basically a coalition of various different interests, united in opposition to the GOP, which is a very uniform party which has coalesced around reactionary cultural positions. As with any coalition, at times you're going to have different interests pushing the envelope in ways that other parts of the party disagree with.

Many of the cities with the biggest increases in murder and general mayhem have prosecutors that have been funded directly and heavily by George Soros.

Most of these individuals wouldn't have gotten within an asses roar of getting elected had he not funded their campaigns

I would argue that people like MTG is just a clown and apart from just generally annoying the heck out of a lot of people, she really has little impact on people's lives

These prosecutors on the other hand are costing people their lives and their livelihoods and generally destroying quality of live for millions of people who live in their cities

That's not a dispersion on anyone-it's a simple fact

If you think that okay.....that's on you

https://news.wttw.com/tags/carjacking

J70

If Soros didn't fund them, they'd raise it some other way. Might take a little longer, but they're meeting a demand in their electorate given the backlash against policing and the justice system. When people see that it's not the answer, they'll look for another alternative.

MTG is most certainly a clown, but she's hardly harmless. Unless you're of the white, conservative Christian persuasion who want a return to the 1950s I guess. The country is becoming more bitterly divided by the day, and immoral, inflammatory trolls like her who preach hate and exclusion and outright lies are a big reason for it. If you think that's all a-ok, and people don't get damaged and hurt when politicians foster division and hatred and falsehood, then I guess that's on you.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on February 16, 2022, 11:25:43 AM
If Soros didn't fund them, they'd raise it some other way. Might take a little longer, but they're meeting a demand in their electorate given the backlash against policing and the justice system. When people see that it's not the answer, they'll look for another alternative.

MTG is most certainly a clown, but she's hardly harmless. Unless you're of the white, conservative Christian persuasion who want a return to the 1950s I guess. The country is becoming more bitterly divided by the day, and immoral, inflammatory trolls like her who preach hate and exclusion and outright lies are a big reason for it. If you think that's all a-ok, and people don't get damaged and hurt when politicians foster division and hatred and falsehood, then I guess that's on you.
mjt got 83k votes in 2020 to get elected a democrat presidential candidate called half the country deplorable and she got 65m but mjt is more dangerous ?

whitey

Quote from: Gmac on February 16, 2022, 02:43:56 PM

mjt got 83k votes in 2020 to get elected a democrat presidential candidate called half the country deplorable and she got 65m but mjt is more dangerous ?

The media needs a boogey man with which they can then associate with all Republicans

She represents one district yet CNN and co seem to have ordained her as the spokesperson for the entire conservative movement

J70

Quote from: Gmac on February 16, 2022, 02:43:56 PM

If MTG was a lone traveler (a bit like Bernie or Ron Paul were for years), you might have a point.

She's not. She's a symptom of a much wider malaise. She's just one of the louder ones. At one point, in the before times, the GOP used to sideline people like her (as recently as Steve King). Not anymore. Now they expel Adam Kingziner and Liz Cheney, and not because they disagree on policy and world view, but because they have the temerity and dignity to point out the lies, corruption and corrosiveness of Trump and his minions like MTG.

And while Hillary's statement was politically dumb, damaging and self-defeating, and very probably an exaggeration in terms of numbers (which she acknowledged), there was also truth in it:

"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?" Clinton said. "The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up."

There's nothing wrong with calling out how Trump exploits those attitudes. And nothing to fear from condemning them.

Gabriel_Hurl

"The media needs a boogey man with which they can then associate with all Republicans"

The irony of yer man posting this after crying Soros Soros Soros this past week

whitey

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 17, 2022, 04:05:07 PM
"The media needs a boogey man with which they can then associate with all Republicans"

The irony of yer man posting this after crying Soros Soros Soros this past week

What did I state about Soros that was factually incorrect

Eamonnca1

The GOP is in the pocket of big business, right? Not when they disagree with the MAGA crowd, it seems.

The airline industry is asking to be allowed to create a shared no-fly list for unruly passengers who assault flight crews and endanger the plane, but the conservative Rethuglicans are pushing back. Seems like it's not okay to endanger a plane in the name of global Jihad, but okay to endanger the plane if you're a deplorable.

QuoteGOP pushes back on no-fly list for violent passengers
Nearly 500 unruly passenger incidents have been reported in the first six weeks of 2022

By Gregory Wallace and Pete Muntean | CNN

A group of Republican senators is pushing back against an effort supported by some of the airline industry to create a government blacklist of violent and disruptive passengers.

"Creating a federal 'no-fly' list for unruly passengers who are skeptical of this mandate would seemingly equate them to terrorists who seek to actively take the lives of Americans and perpetrate attacks on the homeland," the senators wrote in a letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland dated Monday.

Nearly 500 unruly passenger incidents have been reported in the first six weeks of 2022, Federal Aviation Administration data show, for a total of more than 6,400 since the start of 2021. About two-thirds of the reports this year allege violations of the federal mask mandate. The FAA said Wednesday it has referred a total of 80 incidents to the Justice Department to consider criminal prosecution.

The spike in incidents has airlines calling for a government-coordinated "no-fly list" for passengers who create in-flight disturbances. Proponents say it would be separate from the existing government-run list that is part of the FBI's Terrorist Screening Database.

Airlines may ban an unruly passenger from their own flights, but competition rules mean that information is not shared with other carriers. CNN broke news of the industry's ask to the government in September, and Delta Air Lines renewed the request this month in a letter to the Justice Department.

The Senate group says they "strongly condemn" the violence, but urge the Justice Department to reject the request.

"The creation of this list by DOJ would result in a severe restriction on the ability of citizens to fully exercise their constitutional right to engage in interstate transportation," they wrote, and said the matter should be decided by Congress.

The letter was signed by Republican Sens. Cynthia Lummis of Wyoming, Mike Lee of Utah, James Lankford of Oklahoma, Marco Rubio of Florida, Kevin Cramer of North Dakota, Ted Cruz of Texas, John Hoeven of North Dakota and Rick Scott of Florida.

A major flight attendant group responded sharply to the letter. Sara Nelson, the president of the Association of Flight Attendants, called it "irresponsible and political brinkmanship that puts our economic security at risk right along with our lives."

"We've been punched, kicked, spit on, and sexually assaulted," Nelson wrote. "We urge the FAA, TSA, and DOJ to come together to implement a plan with due process to keep dangerous flyers on the ground."

CNN has reached out to the Justice Department for comment.

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg suggested to CNN's Dana Bash last fall that a federal no-fly list for violent airplane passengers "should be on the table," and he told CNN last week that federal authorities were still "looking at" such policy recommendations.

But, he acknowledged, "there are enormous implications in terms of civil liberties, in terms of how you administer something like that. I mean, even when it was over terrorism, it was not a simple thing to set up."

Frustration over mask mandates

There have been multiple in-flight disruptions in recent days. Two passengers were charged this week with interfering with flight crew members after attempting to open aircraft exits in flight. In one of those incidents, four passengers helped American Airlines crewmembers subdue a passenger armed with plastic utensils and a wine bottle who was pulling on a door handle.

Buttigieg declined in a recent CNN interview to say whether the mask mandate will be allowed to expire in mid-March or whether it might be extended or lifted earlier.

"When we have the guidance saying that is the right thing to do, I will be as relieved as any traveling American that we can move on to the next phase," he said.

The FAA's announcement that it has referred 80 incidents since the start of last year to the Justice Department marks about a doubling of referrals since President Joe Biden called for an increased role for the Justice Department in October. In November, the FAA said it had referred 37 cases for prosecution.

Not all cases can be referred for prosecution and many of the cases referred to the FBI for criminal review involve physical assault on crew or passengers, and sexual assault or harassment cases on a passenger or crew, a FAA spokesperson said.

The FAA called the issue a priority and said the agency, along with the FBI, are "continuing to work together so unruly passengers face criminal prosecution when warranted." The Transportation Security Administration is also revoking expedited screening privileges through the PreCheck program in some cases, the agencies said.