The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Knows the name of every Soros funded (and how much they've been funded) DA in the country

But doesn't have a clue on one of the biggest funders to the GOP

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2022, 04:41:24 PM
Soros Specifically helping elect DAs with soft on crime agendas could (and probably will) cost the Democrats big time in 2022!

Agree or disagree?

It probably won't help.

Not necessarily because Soros funding anything in itself is a bad thing. Or the policies themselves are necessarily bad. Or if they're bad that they're widespread or very representative.

But, the right thrives and scares/motivates its base using trigger words like Soros and "soft on crime" and so on and on (does the right still use "thug" as a euphemism for "scary black man"?).

There won't be any nuanced discussion of things like overcrowding and lack of safety in jails and why these DAs want to change things.

You'd swear you couldn't walk the streets of New York or use the subway with the way they go on.

As with anything, its very easy to demagogue and use scare tactics to motivate voters, especially when the on-the-ground stuff in question is happening in those huge, far away liberal cities.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2022, 04:54:59 PM
Soros Specifically helping elect DAs with soft on crime agendas could (and probably will) cost the Democrats big time in 2022!

Agree or disagree?

It probably won't help.

Not necessarily because Soros funding anything in itself is a bad thing. Or the policies themselves are necessarily bad. Or if they're bad that they're widespread or very representative.

But, the right thrives and scares/motivates its base using trigger words like Soros and "soft on crime" and so on and on (does the right still use "thug" as a euphemism for "scary black man"?).

There won't be any nuanced discussion of things like overcrowding and lack of safety in jails and why these DAs want to change things.

You'd swear you couldn't walk the streets of New York or use the subway with the way they go on.

As with anything, its very easy to demagogue and use scare tactics to motivate voters, especially when the on-the-ground stuff in question is happening in those huge, far away liberal cities.

LOL

Nothing to see here......move along please

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-24/mta-chief-vows-to-blunt-subway-crime-after-8-murders-in-2021

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/assaults-up-28-on-nyc-subways-new-chief-of-transit-promises-quick-action/3511556/%3famp

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2022, 05:07:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2022, 04:54:59 PM

Agree or disagree?

It probably won't help.

LOL

Nothing to see here......move along please

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-24/mta-chief-vows-to-blunt-subway-crime-after-8-murders-in-2021

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/assaults-up-28-on-nyc-subways-new-chief-of-transit-promises-quick-action/3511556/%3famp

And there we go...

Eight murders in 2021.

Each absolutely terrible and tragic, yes.

However, let's look at how many people ride the subway each day. Its currently 2.5-3 million on a weekday, a little less on the weekends.

Which comes to just under a billion people per year.

A bit less than the population of India.

I've been taking the subway to work each day since early December. Will do for a few more weeks until it warms up enough to resume cycling. There are usually a couple of homeless people on each train, usually just sleeping. You have to maintain some situational awareness, just like you always have on NY subways or walking the streets, because you never know when some crazy person might wander along. Exactly like you would walking the streets of Dublin or London or any big city.

However, this idea out there you're taking your life into your hands at the moment by just entering the subway system is hysterical nonsense with zero support in the data.

Out of interest, I wonder how many people die for every billion car journeys?

whitey

I think you are missing the point

Most of the accused murderers (that I read about) are out on low or no bail.

In prior years they would be in jail, but you applaud the fact these people are walking the streets to commit further crimes

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2022, 05:41:25 PM
I think you are missing the point

Most of the accused murderers (that I read about) are out on low or no bail.

In prior years they would be in jail, but you applaud the fact these people are walking the streets to commit further crimes

1. You did your LOL response to my statement that "You'd swear you couldn't walk the streets of New York or use the subway with the way they go on." And the way they go on is pure and utter bullshit. A small number of anecdotes (which those murders, tragic as they were on a human level, are in terms of data) does not change that one bit.

2. My turn to "LOL". I didn't "applaud" anything. I didn't actually give an opinion on what those DAs are doing. Your question was about whether Soros and "soft on crime" would be effective for the GOP this autumn. Pointing out WHY these DAs are pursuing these policies is not the same as endorsing them. I expect that the current experiment in these several cities will NOT spread in their current comprehensive form. Which doesn't mean that the Trumpian "lock the f**kers up" is a solution either.

As with the sanctuary cities discussions we've had in the past (also an easy issue for the unserious sections of the GOP to demagogue and make political hay with), there is easy no black/white, right/wrong answer. Progressives MAY take it too far, but that doesn't make them entirely wrong, either in diagnosing the existing problem or in their solution to it.

whitey

I'm sure the families of the people who got pushed in front of moving trains take great comfort from the fact that their murders are statistically insignificant

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2022, 06:35:07 PM
I'm sure the families of the people who got pushed in front of moving trains take great comfort from the fact that their murders are statistically insignificant

If that's where we going in this...

They're no more statistically insignificant than the children of Sandy Hook or hundreds of other mass shootings.
No more statistically insignificant than the people who die of cancer or other diseases from asbestos or tobacco smoke or lead or benzene or umpteen other environmental contaminants.
No more statistically insignificant than the people who die on the job due to the lack of adherence to and enforcement of safety and health regulations.
No more statistically insignificant than the people who die on the roads or the streets due to lack of sensible or enforcement of driving regulations.
No more statistically insignificant that people who die due to lack of affordable and accessible health care.

I can go on.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2022, 06:56:50 PM

They're no more statistically insignificant than the children of Sandy Hook or hundreds of other mass shootings.
No more statistically insignificant than the people who die of cancer or other diseases from asbestos or tobacco smoke or lead or benzene or umpteen other environmental contaminants.
No more statistically insignificant than the people who die on the job due to the lack of adherence to and enforcement of safety and health regulations.
No more statistically insignificant than the people who die on the roads or the streets due to lack of sensible or enforcement of driving regulations.
No more statistically insignificant that people who die due to lack of affordable and accessible health care.

I can go on.

You are right

George Soros has not pumped $20M + into getting soft on crime DAs elected

Soft on crime DAs are not freeing criminals that previously would have been incarcerated

The freed criminals are not assaulting, murdering and carjacking people

This is not going to cost the  Democrats one vote come November

It's just all Republican talking points

Eamonnca1

Conservatives suddenly become concerned about crime when there's a Democratic president, even though the Trump administration was itself one big criminal enterprise:

Note how that's not even up to date, Trump was breaking records for criminal activity before his single dumpster fire of a term was up.

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 14, 2022, 07:43:34 PM
Conservatives suddenly become concerned about crime when there's a Democratic president, even though the Trump administration was itself one big criminal enterprise:

Note how that's not even up to date, Trump was breaking records for criminal activity before his single dumpster fire of a term was up.

Eh....no

Many/Most of these DAs were elected before Biden even got elected-it was an issue when Trump was in office and it's an issue now.

But believe what you want-it's a free country

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2022, 07:28:59 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2022, 06:56:50 PM

I can go on.

You are right

George Soros has not pumped $20M + into getting soft on crime DAs elected

Soft on crime DAs are not freeing criminals that previously would have been incarcerated

The freed criminals are not assaulting, murdering and carjacking people

This is not going to cost the  Democrats one vote come November

It's just all Republican talking points

What's the matter with you?

I've already said I agree the issue will potentially cost the Dems in November.

My point with the quoted response was that there are all kinds of issues where death and injury/illness rates are affected by policy.

Just because the GOP are unparalleled in their ability to demagogue and exploit the ones that suit them doesn't mean their own favoured policies don't also come with very serious costs that affect many, many real people.

whitey

Right....but you're downplaying it as some type of ginned up right wing conspiracy

This is an issue that's bleeding out into the suburbs

FFS-the Democrats themselves primaried Larry Kasner

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/08/homicide-surge-progressives-district-attorneys-479966

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2022, 09:21:10 PM
Right....but you're downplaying it as some type of ginned up right wing conspiracy

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/08/homicide-surge-progressives-district-attorneys-479966

It's ginned up as in the GOP will attempt to paint ALL Dems as part of this movement, while also not acknowledging the real problems driving it.

And I've already said, today and previously, that I and many other NYC Dems elected Eric Adams partly in response to this type of stuff being pushed too far.

As with Bernie Sanders, it's why the effort to paint all Dems this way is bullshit.

Remember, we discussing this because you think the Dems are as bad, nationally, as the GOP.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2022, 09:37:14 PM
Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2022, 09:21:10 PM

It's ginned up as in the GOP will attempt to paint ALL Dems as part of this movement, while also not acknowledging the real problems driving it.

And I've already said, today and previously, that I and many other NYC Dems elected Eric Adams partly in response to this type of stuff being pushed too far.

As with Bernie Sanders, it's why the effort to paint all Dems this way is bullshit.

Remember, we discussing this because you think the Dems are as bad, nationally, as the GOP.

Well I know it's not ALL Democrats

FFS I linked in several articles that showed ONE individual was  hijacking all these primaries.....and then you all jumped down my neck