The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 11, 2022, 09:12:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 11, 2022, 07:43:41 PM
So if the Dems need a change of strategy (and I absolutely agree there is much room for improvement, beginning with certain elements of the party coming to terms with the razor-thin majority), where does that leave the GOP?

I'm being very serious.

The GOP is not currently fit to govern on a national level.

Both parties are a disgrace.

Do you think the Democrats are fit to govern on a national level-sweet J3sus, if the past 12 months is anything to go by I shudder at the thought

Don't agree, sorry.

I dislike plenty about what the Dems have done, but at least basic democracy and real facts underpin their outlook and actions.

If and when the GOP find some integrity and cease to exist solely to empower Trump and his ego and this idea that white people are under siege and get back to economics and actual real world problems, then they'll be fit to govern.

I will still disagree with much of their platform on various issues, but at least it will be on honest policy outlooks on real facts and problems, not the torrents of bullshit and blatant lies that currently forms the basis for just about everything they come out with.

The Dems are wrong on things in the normal scale of right/wrong. The GOP live in an alternate reality.

whitey

They deserve to get pummeled in law and order alone

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2022/02/11/anthony-brown-carjacking-teen-murder-michael-brown-electronic-monitoring/

All of these Soros funded DA's are going to cost them big time

(And that's  not a dog whistle, and it's not anti Semitic-he is funding many of their campaigns)

Eamonnca1

Insightful letter in today's San Jose Mercury News:

QuoteRepublicans deal in outrage, not policy

The GOP has become the "Get Outraged Party."

Because the Republican Party lacks any platform, they keep their adherents in tow by keeping them in a constant state of rage. Every week, the right conjures up a non issue that it can exaggerate and make shockingly abhorrent and then broadcast its faux outrage to their rapt audience. This week's drama was Democrats "giving out free crack pipes." Last week it was President Biden guaranteeing a black female Supreme Court candidate; before that it was critical race theory; and before that, it was mask mandates, etc.

I'm amazed that those millions on the right continuously fall for this juvenile ploy that allows conservative news outlets to ignore, for example, the RNC's warped Jan. 6 declaration, President Trump's shredding of official documents and Biden's record-breaking economy. The information gap in this country is staggering, and the GOP's "shock jock" approach to politics is a major reason why.

Bob Parker
San Jose

This week it's crack pipes. Last week it was the prospect of a black woman on the Supreme Court. Before that it was about a non-existent trend of CRT being taught in high schools. What nonsense is it going to be next week?

Gabriel_Hurl

RedHand88

So Biden is going to seize $3.5 billion off the Afghani people and give it to 9/11 families. Surely this will only radicalise half the country?

whitey

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 12, 2022, 02:03:27 PM
So Biden is going to seize $3.5 billion off the Afghani people and give it to 9/11 families. Surely this will only radicalise half the country?

Ehhhh......I think he should be asking the Saudis for the $3.5B

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 11, 2022, 10:21:07 PM

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2022/02/11/anthony-brown-carjacking-teen-murder-michael-brown-electronic-monitoring/

(And that's  not a dog whistle, and it's not anti Semitic-he is funding many of their campaigns)

While there are obviously serious questions to be asked about why a kid repeatedly committing violent crimes despite being in the electronic monitoring program should not be remanded, the program itself has been around for decades all over the country, including Chicago. I'm assuming your objection is to the former and not the latter?

And there is already pushback from other Dems about some of these types of policies for going too far (it was partly why Adams was elected mayor in NYC). Its hardly part of the national Democratic Party platform. And misguided though they may be in certain respects, they are also trying to address serious problems with the justice systems in these cities. Here in NYC, there are lads sitting in the hellhole that is Rikers for months and even years on extremely petty charges because they can't afford bail.

On Soros, why mention him then?

An aside on the NYC mayoral election - apparently the GOP candidate, Curtis Sliwa, is starting a new radio show with none other than Carlos Danger himself, Anthony Weiner! ;D

J70

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 12, 2022, 02:03:27 PM

I've only read a little bit about this, but I think its a little more complicated than you're making out there.

Long standing court cases by some 9/11 families, the Taliban, the Biden admin wanting to free up part of the money to address current needs in Afghanistan and so on.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteOn Soros, why mention him then?

Who are these wingnuts going to use as the boogeyman when he dies?

Gates?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2022, 01:42:46 PM

While there are obviously serious questions to be asked about why a kid repeatedly committing violent crimes despite being in the electronic monitoring program should not be remanded, the program itself has been around for decades all over the country, including Chicago. I'm assuming your objection is to the former and not the latter?

And there is already pushback from other Dems about some of these types of policies for going too far (it was partly why Adams was elected mayor in NYC). Its hardly part of the national Democratic Party platform. And misguided though they may be in certain respects, they are also trying to address serious problems with the justice systems in these cities. Here in NYC, there are lads sitting in the hellhole that is Rikers for months and even years on extremely petty charges because they can't afford bail.

An aside on the NYC mayoral election - apparently the GOP candidate, Curtis Sliwa, is starting a new radio show with none other than Carlos Danger himself, Anthony Weiner! ;D

Why wouldn't I mention him?

Very few of these clowns would have gotten elected without him bankrolling them

Gave $2M to Kim Fox out in Chicago

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2022, 03:14:06 PM

He must be spreading around a lot of cash then.

And I guess you're in favour of mentioning the likes of the Mercers who bankroll so much of the GOP, both in terms of candidates, social media and "grassroots"?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2022, 03:28:36 PM

And I guess you're in favour of mentioning the likes of the Mercers who bankroll so much of the GOP, both in terms of candidates, social media and "grassroots"?

Bodes well for the Republicans if even you are fobbing this off as a non issue

Don't even know who the Mercer's are, but I don't think they are funding DAs who are letting criminals run riot.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10271987/amp/How-billionaire-George-Soros-bankrolled-DAs-Democrat-cities-HIGHEST-crime-rates.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/george-soros-criminal-justice-reform-227519

Apologies in advance to the Daily Mail link. More respected sources such as CNN, MSNBC and The NY Times don't seem to be giving much coverage to this topic

Gabriel_Hurl

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2022, 03:56:13 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2022, 03:28:36 PM

Bodes well for the Republicans if even you are fobbing this off as a non issue

Don't even know who the Mercer's are, but I don't think they are funding DAs who are letting criminals run riot.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10271987/amp/How-billionaire-George-Soros-bankrolled-DAs-Democrat-cities-HIGHEST-crime-rates.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/george-soros-criminal-justice-reform-227519

Apologies in advance to the Daily Mail link. More respected sources such as CNN, MSNBC and The NY Times don't seem to be giving much coverage to this topic

I'm not fobbing it off as a non-issue.

If it were up to me, every dollar donated would have to be declared, and there would be strict limits in place to prevent politicians being bought and paid for. Just like if it were up to me it would be either every voting district would be drawn up by independent organizations and not politicians out to protect their own party's interests, or we'd get some kind of proportional representation system.

But that's not the system in the US, is it, especially since Citizens United? Corporations are people too, remember!

So outside of the odd politician who tries to fund raise on small individual donations, I go with the blanket assumption that there is big wealth and special interests behind it all.

Let's face it, if these trucker protests were a left wing thing, it would be Soros-hysteria morning, noon and night.

And on the Mercers specifically, them and Bannon and Roger Stone go back a long way, including the Ground Zero Mosque nonsense which, along with Palin and Obama's birth cert, basically mainstreamed the paranoia and bigotry that made Trump's domination of the GOP possible.

whitey

Soros Specifically helping elect DAs with soft on crime agendas could (and probably will) cost the Democrats big time in 2022!

Agree or disagree?