The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Whether Cruz is up to the task charisma wise  is another (important) matter but I have little doubt that's his ambition and the motivation for his about turn.  It would be no contest if it was Cruz V the dullards that are Trump's offspring. 
I have an inkling that the next Dem candidate will have to be more populist, like Bernie  but not Bernie.

I don't know about the true value of Trump's overt bigotry, racism, conspiracy theories with the majority of the voters. A subtler expression of the same could get similar results.
In his rallies pre 2016 Trump focused on other stuff, the Trade deals, the  bad Trade deals etc, the elite, and claimed the fake news wouldn't report it, and he was right, his standing grew, the 'fake' media focused on dissing his personality and ignored the platform.
I was curious why Trump voters were not concerned at all about the racist element of his dialogue, if it was any other person in a responsible profession they would be sacked with immediate effect. How come Trump voters  tolerated Trump's racism or did not put any value on it?  I then read up quite a bit on racism post civil war from the perspective of racists, segregationist, Jim crow etc  and not from my usual entry point-  from the perspective of civil rights activism.
I had not realised the extent of racism,  the residues still ingrained  even in middle income white America.
That most always before the 1970s, they put the issue of  white superiority on the platform ahead of  common social issue experienced by both black and poor whites.

The economist Adam Posen on one of Dave McWilliams podcasts (just after the 2020 US pres election) claimed that idea of the economic displaced white who were  left behind on the scrapheap, who now supported Trump was a myth not supported by facts. That the loss of job income was more a perception than a reality. He claimed that the issue  was more  the loss of placement, the displacement from a safe place in society, either through a resentment towards the advance of women's stature or a resentment at the advance in status of people who look different than them, people who they use to look down upon,though  not always overtly.
That's where Trumps bigoted message  hit home, but that same bigot button can be pressed with more subtlety, a politician doesn't need to crudely badmouth Mexicans, badmouth women, blame Muslims.

Add in the factor that trump is an absolutely useless politician, useless with managing the Covid virus. When the BLM  shit hit the fan, Trump could have gone to town on Biden's history of support for tough on crime policy which was a major cause of current ills . But AFAIR Trump just mumbled it out in passing in one of the debates. He had no idea to measure the value of such a weapon an attack or even how to carry it out. Trump was beaten by a colorless  Biden , literally past the last legs stage of physical and mental prowess.
As for Trump, he has to face the relentless march of Father Time, also the chronic narcissism is stabbing away at what passes for his mental health, making him more unstable.

johnnycool

Quote from: Main Street on January 04, 2021, 08:16:53 PM
Whether Cruz is up to the task charisma wise  is another (important) matter but I have little doubt that's his ambition and the motivation for his about turn.  It would be no contest if it was Cruz V the dullards that are Trump's offspring. 
I have an inkling that the next Dem candidate will have to be more populist, like Bernie  but not Bernie.

I don't know about the true value of Trump's overt bigotry, racism, conspiracy theories with the majority of the voters. A subtler expression of the same could get similar results.
In his rallies pre 2016 Trump focused on other stuff, the Trade deals, the  bad Trade deals etc, the elite, and claimed the fake news wouldn't report it, and he was right, his standing grew, the 'fake' media focused on dissing his personality and ignored the platform.
I was curious why Trump voters were not concerned at all about the racist element of his dialogue, if it was any other person in a responsible profession they would be sacked with immediate effect. How come Trump voters  tolerated Trump's racism or did not put any value on it?  I then read up quite a bit on racism post civil war from the perspective of racists, segregationist, Jim crow etc  and not from my usual entry point-  from the perspective of civil rights activism.
I had not realised the extent of racism,  the residues still ingrained  even in middle income white America.
That most always before the 1970s, they put the issue of  white superiority on the platform ahead of  common social issue experienced by both black and poor whites.

The economist Adam Posen on one of Dave McWilliams podcasts (just after the 2020 US pres election) claimed that idea of the economic displaced white who were  left behind on the scrapheap, who now supported Trump was a myth not supported by facts. That the loss of job income was more a perception than a reality. He claimed that the issue  was more  the loss of placement, the displacement from a safe place in society, either through a resentment towards the advance of women's stature or a resentment at the advance in status of people who look different than them, people who they use to look down upon,though  not always overtly.
That's where Trumps bigoted message  hit home, but that same bigot button can be pressed with more subtlety, a politician doesn't need to crudely badmouth Mexicans, badmouth women, blame Muslims.

Add in the factor that trump is an absolutely useless politician, useless with managing the Covid virus. When the BLM  shit hit the fan, Trump could have gone to town on Biden's history of support for tough on crime policy which was a major cause of current ills . But AFAIR Trump just mumbled it out in passing in one of the debates. He had no idea to measure the value of such a weapon an attack or even how to carry it out. Trump was beaten by a colorless  Biden , literally past the last legs stage of physical and mental prowess.
As for Trump, he has to face the relentless march of Father Time, also the chronic narcissism is stabbing away at what passes for his mental health, making him more unstable.

Is that not the same type of dog whistle as used by Ian Snr Paisley and the DUP for decades. You demonise your foe to the point they're sub human and whilst you're life may be shit, it's better than theirs and there's a comfort in that it seems.
All your woes can be heaped on refugees, those of a different skin colour, pray to a different God when all the time it's the ruling elite manipulating you.
Trump just is more open and less subtle about it.

J70

Quote from: Main Street on January 04, 2021, 08:16:53 PM

Whatever about Biden's history, Trump was in no position whatsoever to gain any advantage over Biden on the BLM issue. The GOP as a whole has been using race as a wedge issue for 50 years. Trump seized upon this racial hostility and resentment as part of his political rise, beginning with Obama's birth cert, and continuing on through his numerous racial controversies as his campaign and administration progressed. Whether or not he has personal racist convictions, or he is more concerned with keeping that section of the GOP base supporting him and his narcissistic need for validation, he has repeatedly refused to condemn racist behaviour and rhetoric. Even a disavowal of David Duke had to be dragged out of him over the course of days.

The George Floyd murder was a lay-up for any president. The right thing to say to show mature leadership was not hard to figure out. Instead, all he could see was the bigotry of his base and the possibility of violence becoming an election wedge issue, and so he fanned the flames and made things worse.

I agree Biden's best days are behind him, but he played this election very smartly. He allowed Trump to make it all about him, and with COVID and George Floyd showing him flailing, inflaming and constantly lying, all Biden had to do was keep his head down, sound conciliatory and normal, and let it play out.

sid waddell

Hopefully Georgia has plenty more voters like this guy, quite refreshing to hear some sanity

https://twitter.com/CNNnewsroom/status/1346471740323504129

screenexile

Sounds like a lack of Trump on the ballot is causing Republicans some problems in GA... hopefully it stays that way!!

Tomorrow is going to be interesting... I can't see Pence trying anything but the thousands in D.C. are there for some kind of reason!

Seamus

Quote from: sid waddell on January 05, 2021, 03:36:36 PM
Hopefully Georgia has plenty more voters like this guy, quite refreshing to hear some sanity

Very easy see through this lying commie. He believes in science fiction and can't wait to see all Creepy Joe's enslavement policies implemented.  This guy was never a Republican. Oh then again he may have had a epiphany since Nov 3rd and woke up a commie. CNN, as fake as it gets.

In either case America and the world loses, two commies against two RINOs.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

sid waddell

Quote from: Seamus on January 06, 2021, 01:45:19 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on January 05, 2021, 03:36:36 PM

Very easy see through this lying commie. He believes in science fiction and can't wait to see all Creepy Joe's enslavement policies implemented.  This guy was never a Republican. Oh then again he may have had a epiphany since Nov 3rd and woke up a commie. CNN, as fake as it gets.

In either case America and the world loses, two commies against two RINOs.

;D ;D ;D

sid waddell

Quote from: screenexile on January 06, 2021, 01:41:13 AM
Sounds like a lack of Trump on the ballot is causing Republicans some problems in GA... hopefully it stays that way!!

Tomorrow is going to be interesting... I can't see Pence trying anything but the thousands in D.C. are there for some kind of reason!
Things are looking cautiously optimistic for both races

Republicans are relying on increased votes in northern counties, but they seem to be underperforming Trump in most other places

sid waddell

This is great

Trump could end up destroying the Republican party

Democrats look set to win both races

screenexile

Quote from: sid waddell on January 06, 2021, 02:36:07 AM
This is great

Few people in the know calling Warnock. Ossoff race a good bit closer!

sid waddell

Quote from: screenexile on January 06, 2021, 02:41:41 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on January 06, 2021, 02:36:07 AM
This is great

Few people in the know calling Warnock. Ossoff race a good bit closer!
Closer but I think he has enough in hand

Eamonnca1

Yup. Looking good on both counts. Jesus, we might actually get some legislation passed for the first time in forever. Moscow Mitch is toast.

J70

Yeah, but if the Dems win both, brace yourself for the voter fraud meltdown.

Because if the Dems win, it HAS to be cheating!

Could add petrol to tomorrow's presidential certification fire.

Jell 0 Biafra

I can live with that . The greater danger is blue dog Democrats.

sid waddell

Massive vote dump just in from DeKalb county

Ossoff's 115k deficit cut to 2,140

Warnock now well over the top

94% statewide in

Ossoff should pull ahead on that