The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2020, 12:20:48 PM
When did Harris read the Swetnick allegations into the congressional record?

She must have done. The man hates her for it so surely she must have??

LCohen

Quote from: five points on November 03, 2020, 10:53:20 AM
Quote from: LCohen on November 03, 2020, 10:42:38 AM
Quote from: five points on November 03, 2020, 09:54:44 AM
Quote from: Roesider on November 03, 2020, 09:49:52 AM
Quote from: five points on November 03, 2020, 09:08:18 AM
Quote from: LCohen on November 02, 2020, 08:22:40 PM
Quote from: five points on November 02, 2020, 10:07:08 AM
Quote from: Roesider on November 02, 2020, 10:04:36 AM
There is a transition period but he is still in place until Biden's inauguration

The presumption here is gas. Nothing learned since 2016.

Gas you say? Why so? What presumption has Roesider made?
That Biden will have an inauguration. It might well happen but until it does it's a presumption.

If you're honest with yourself last time was a fluke. There will be no mistakes this time and Biden is poised for office.

There's your presumption.

Are you going to call out every prediction, including those of a Trump victory and your prediction of a Trump victory as a presumption?? Or are you just going to address this tactic to one side?

::) No, there's a difference between making a prediction (I've noted above that mine might be wrong) and presuming almost as a matter of inevitability that one or other of the candidates will have an inauguration.

He was answering a question. You do get that?

J70

Quote from: LCohen on November 03, 2020, 12:57:15 PM

She may well have read it into the record.

My question is the timing.

five points

Quote from: LCohen on November 03, 2020, 12:58:51 PM

I do, but I don't get why it bothered you so much.

ziggy90

Quote from: LCohen on November 03, 2020, 10:44:44 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 03, 2020, 10:00:14 AM
There is a transition period but he is still in place until Biden's inauguration

That Biden will have an inauguration. It might well happen but until it does it's a presumption.

If you're honest with yourself last time was a fluke. There will be no mistakes this time and Biden is poised for office.

I think it is lazy to say that the last time was a fluke. When Trump started off he showed how he could master the media and use the 'black arts' of it to manipulate mindsets. There was a disenfranchised cohort in the US, centre right, Christian working class/lower middle class who felt that they were being squeezed and Trump got into bed with them. Made them believe that he was just like them. They didn't realise that he was literally looking down on the from his tower and laughing. Enough dirt was created around Clinton to sway enough voters. It was calculated and directed.

This time round is different as there isn't as much dirt on Biden despite what Trump has tried. This time last year Trump would have romped home in basically a 'no contest', the same way Boris did. The world has changed dramatically now and the way he has handled Covid and the way the cards have fallen around Black Lives Matter etc has made things significantly harder for him to get re-elected. Every wind tells a story and how the wind blows tonight will have a great significance on the future of the world as a whole never mind the US

On the money

Agreed.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

LCohen

Quote from: five points on November 03, 2020, 01:08:57 PM

I was only pointing out the stupidity of you pointing out that he assuming Biden would be elected when he was answering an question to the effect of what would happen were Biden elected. I thought that stupidity deserved to be pointed out. I still do

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2020, 01:06:40 PM

I'm believe it was October 5th or 6th.  I'll post it up when I have a chance

(There was a period of time just before the nomination went through when the Democrats pulled an all nighter and read all matter of material so it would be in the permanent congressional record. I believe this is when she did it, but am open to correction. There's no East way to search the records and they are thousands of pages long)

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 03, 2020, 01:32:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2020, 01:06:40 PM

I'm believe it was October 5th or 6th.  I'll post it up when I have a chance

(There was a period of time just before the nomination went through when the Democrats pulled an all nighter and read all matter of material so it would be in the permanent congressional record. I believe this is when she did it, but am open to correction. There's no East way to search the records and they are thousands of pages long)

Ok.

And the Grassley release you posted earlier was from three weeks later.

At what point was the credibility of the Swetnick allegation thrown in serious doubt?

whitey

The day after the allegation was released it began to fall apart which I believe was Sept 25th/26th

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 03, 2020, 01:47:12 PM
The day after the allegation was released it began to fall apart which I believe was Sept 25th/26th

Source?

Main Street

Quote from: LCohen on November 03, 2020, 10:44:44 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 03, 2020, 10:00:14 AM

I think it is lazy to say that the last time was a fluke. When Trump started off he showed how he could master the media and use the 'black arts' of it to manipulate mindsets. There was a disenfranchised cohort in the US, centre right, Christian working class/lower middle class who felt that they were being squeezed and Trump got into bed with them. Made them believe that he was just like them. They didn't realise that he was literally looking down on the from his tower and laughing. Enough dirt was created around Clinton to sway enough voters. It was calculated and directed.

This time round is different as there isn't as much dirt on Biden despite what Trump has tried. This time last year Trump would have romped home in basically a 'no contest', the same way Boris did. The world has changed dramatically now and the way he has handled Covid and the way the cards have fallen around Black Lives Matter etc has made things significantly harder for him to get re-elected. Every wind tells a story and how the wind blows tonight will have a great significance on the future of the world as a whole never mind the US

On the money
Not quite.
There was also another crucial factor in 2016, those democrats who didn't vote for Hilary or Trump. For example in Michigan where some 80,000 democrats cast their vote but  leaving the president choice blank  (as a form of protest) and Trump won the state by 10,000 or so.

five points

Quote from: LCohen on November 03, 2020, 01:26:41 PM
Quote from: five points on November 03, 2020, 01:08:57 PM

I was only pointing out the stupidity of you pointing out that he assuming Biden would be elected when he was answering an question to the effect of what would happen were Biden elected. I thought that stupidity deserved to be pointed out. I still do

Even if I made a mistake that does not signify stupidity. And no-one cares except you.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2020, 01:50:47 PM

Source?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/news/classmates-defend-brett-kavanaugh-against-latest-charge/amp/

The day after the allegation 60 people who went to school with Kavanaugh and who moved in his social circles said they never heard of her, never met her and regarded her accusations as pure nonsense

That was the first crack for me (and anyone interested in the truth) that it was another c**k and bull story

Meanwhile here's what New York Mag has to say:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2018/09/julie-swetnicks-allegations-brett-kavanaugh-withdraw.html

All of the other left leaning media treated this as a real story

Farrandeelin

I have a hunch that it mightn't be as long a night as we think. Biden to win.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 03, 2020, 02:33:26 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2020, 01:50:47 PM

Source?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/news/classmates-defend-brett-kavanaugh-against-latest-charge/amp/

The day after the allegation 60 people who went to school with Kavanaugh and who moved in his social circles said they never heard of her, never met her and regarded her accusations as pure nonsense

That was the first crack for me (and anyone interested in the truth) that it was another c**k and bull story

Meanwhile here's what New York Mag has to say:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2018/09/julie-swetnicks-allegations-brett-kavanaugh-withdraw.html

All of the other left leaning media treated this as a real story

1. The letter of support is obviously a big plus in Kavanaugh's favour. However, if he or anyone was going around sexually assaulting women, they were hardly going to do so with an audience or publicize the fact, were they? So such a letter doesn't in itself mean that the assault didn't occur or that an investigation is not warranted, especially when it comes out in the very week another woman is testifying before the Senate on the same. Nor does the fact that they didn't know or remember her. Would you be so dismissive of an assault claim if it was your daughter or your niece?

2. The NY mag article you reference specifically calls for an investigation of her claims.